Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shenmue I & II remaster on PC, PS4, Xbox One

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Coming this year:

ss_f8738138e9842c2eef1e2c2f6db818f0f5f11214.jpg

ss_a231524aa6956bfce1e7a35b0e3252ba500da5e9.jpg

Originally released for the Dreamcast in 2000 and 2001, Shenmue I & II is an open world action adventure combining jujitsu combat, investigative sleuthing, RPG elements, and memorable mini-games. It pioneered many aspects of modern gaming, including open world city exploration, and was the game that coined the Quick Time Event (QTE). It was one of the first games with a persistent open world, where day cycles to night, weather changes, shops open and close and NPCs go about their business all on their own schedules. Its engrossing epic story and living world created a generation of passionate fans, and the game consistently makes the list of “greatest games of all time”.

Story

A tale of revenge.

In 1986, teenage jujitsu artist Ryo Hazuki returns to the dojo of his father, Iwao Hazuki, only to witness his murder by a Chinese man, Lan Di. Lan Di steals a mysterious artifact known as the Dragon Mirror. Ryo vows to avenge his father’s death and sets out tracing Lan Di’s path.

The first game in the series, Shenmue begins the tale as Ryo travels around Yokosuka, Japan, gathering clues about his father’s murder and dealing with nefarious gangsters along the way.

The sequel Shenmue II continues Ryo’s quest, this time crossing the sea to Hong Kong, China. Ryo ventures deeper into the criminal underworld, meeting martial arts masters who aid him on his journey and offer insight into his father’s death, and unravels the mysteries of the Dragon Mirror that his father kept hidden.

Gameplay
  • Take the role of Ryo Hazuki.
  • Explore a 3D open world searching for clues, examining objects, and talking to NPCs.
  • Battle enemies and bosses making full use of the moves of Hazuki-style jujitsu.
  • Beat quick-time events (QTEs) and mini-games.
Key features

The best Shenmue experience

Pioneering Dreamcast classics available for the first time on PC
Updated user interface
Choice of modern or classic controls
Japanese audio available for the first time for a global audience
Fully scalable screen resolutions

An epic legend
A tale of revenge on a grand scale
Solve the mystery of your father’s murder
An experience never to be forgotten

The world feels alive
Talk to anyone, scour the world for clues
NPCs live independent lives on their own schedule
Faithful recreations of 1980s Japan and Hong Kong, China
Distract yourself with arcade games, collectibles, duck racing, and more

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Emulation is still an option, but I can't complain about having the trilogy on PC in its entirety. I still think it should've been released when QTEs were the craze and not now when they're forgotten.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I have extreme nostalgia when it comes to Shenmue. I don't remember much of it, all I know is that it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling when I recall playing it with my friends as a kid. I am very excited that this game is coming to PC.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
While the presentation of this game is admirable, it hasn't aged well and so has his gameplay. Shenmue is a glorified walking simulator with battles thrown in and a story that is incredibly cheesy.

They managed to pull it off, because not only was it super impressive with a great sense of detail, but also because story wise they managed to hold back the super natural elements until the very last second of Shenmue 2.

I have the feeling Shenmue 3 is going to be an entirely different story ; it lacks the budget, it will not have novelty, but it will still have to contend with a largely retarded story and cast of characters.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shenmue was ahead of its time and nowadays might probably look more like a immersive simulator but I am really looking forward to replaying them, especially the first one with japanese voiceovers
Doing Hiro’s schedule of training, work, playing some games and looking for a fight while the next “event” ocurred was strangely relaxing

It's the edgy thing to shit on Shenmue now but if you played it on release it was really fucking impressive. It has aged very badly, though.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I figure it's probably kind of a hard thing to justify from the whole actually having tried it thing angle since not many people owned a Dreamcast. I for one can't really justify saying anything directly about it because I haven't experienced it for myself.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

It's the edgy thing to shit on Shenmue now but if you played it on release it was really fucking impressive. It has aged very badly, though.

It was technically impressive, like many modern AAA titles are.
As a game, it's always been shit.

Kitchen Utensil

It was technically impressive, like many modern AAA titles are.
As a game, it's always been shit.
Which aaa games are technically impressive?

I don't feel like mentioning specific titles, because it's beside the point, but there are some I find graphically impressive, I'm blown away by the world sizes of others, procedural generation in some is getting quite sophisticated etc. The point is that most of them are shit (as games), despite offering technically impressive stuff (not unlike Shenmue imo).

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Aren't these like QTE the games before QTEs became widespread and vilified?

Misco Jones

Savant

https://shenmue.sega.com/faq

Q: Which version of Shenmue II did we port?

A: For technical reasons we started with the Xbox source code and data. This has the advantage of some additional
features missing from the Dreamcast version:

* Snapshots system
* Filters
* Texture mip-maps to improve anti-aliasing

As some community members will know, the Xbox does have some graphical differences to the DC version which will also be present in our version.

Q: What features have we added?

A: As well as the herculean effort of porting the code to the new platforms, there is a huge number of things we have added:

* Choice of Japanese or English speech in both games
* Saves can be carried over from Shenmue into Shenmue II on all platforms
* Saving anywhere in both games
* HD resolution rendering
* Updated UI
* New post processing effects for both games
* Full controller support and configurable mouse and keyboard for PC users
* Full Achievement support for both games on all platforms

Q: What does Modern control scheme mean?

A: Modern control scheme means we have enabled use of the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad for movement of Ryo, as well as adding full mouse and keyboard support for PC users.

Q: Will the games run at 60Hz?

A: Throughout the engine, game code and scripts there are hard coded assumptions about a fixed 30Hz frame update rate, so the game needs to run at 30Hz.

Q: Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?

A: Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.
Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.

Q: Can the emulated arcade games be played?

A: We are pleased to announce that all the arcade games in the original are fully playable in the new release!

Q: Who do we have to thank for this incredible work?

A: The amazing team at d3t.

Last edited:

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Shenmue is like an Autistic Karateka simulator, I get it that is a very charming and nostalgic coming-of-age quest but the story and ryo's interactions with the world are done in such a weird way, especially when playing the western localization. It's not nearly as good with nostalgia glasses off.

That being said I'll still buy this and Shenmue III, which I'm 100% sure it will be very disappointing.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
As soon as I learnt COUNTER ELBOW ASSAULT I used it in every battle.

Though no matter how well you did if you failed a QTE during a "boss battle" you would insta lose anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom