Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Shenzen I/O - Chinamen Electronics Counterfeiting Simulator/Puzzle Game. Need opinions.

Hellraiser

Arcane
So the guys behind SpaceChem made this and just released it. Apparently the goal of the game is to design and program circuits for cheap Chinese watches or anal dildos or something. "Design, code, RTFM" seems to be the pitch for this.

Apparently it was in early access for a while.

Anyone played it? What is the kodex kritikal konsesus/verdict? Incline or wasted potential? It sounds intriguing.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Trailer is really cute, but I prefer factorio for my programming vidyas.

Raapys

Arcane
I've played a few hours. It's fairly similar in principle to Spacechem, once you learn the programming language(a very simple Assembly thing), but with code instead of symbols. Compared to TIS-100 it's maybe a bit simpler code-wise, but here you also place components. The challenge is, as usual, more about optimizing your designs than simply completing the tasks.

HansDampf

Arcane
I have played an earlier version of this back in October and did around 25 puzzles before I quit. I don't know how many there are in total, and more were probably added since then.
My main issue was the pacing of the campaign. It started to feel like I was solving the same puzzle over and over again with little variation. Maybe i was burnt out. The game will throw new tools at you over time to spice things up, and the puzzles will get more complex. But I could still solve most of them with just one I/O expander and one or two microcontrollers (plus one RAM module if you need to store numbers). I got excited when logic gates were introduced, but 5-10 puzzles later and I still haven't used a single one of them. I've tried... They were just useless so far. That's something that SpaceChem did better. New tools were immedately and obviously useful or even mandatory to proceed.
But again, this was an earlier version. Overall it's a pretty good game (like all Zachtronics games), and watching your machine run flawlessly after having wasted 2 hours on it feels great as always. Just RTFM.

J1M

Arcane
For those who like this type of challenge, but would like something a little more tactile/visual and less code-based, give Memorrha a look. Starts off relatively simple. Some boolean logic and circuit puzzles. By the end of it you are using what you learned along the way to print 3D keys to unlock doors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom