Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
+ Pretty good FPS overall
+ C&C
+ decent story

- Animu mecha rather than mecha pretending to be somewhat realistic
Agreed on all counts, but since the negative never bothered me I love the game. It's not my favorite but it's great. Surprisingly good voice acting too. And animu mecha are great fun, they control slightly differently from when you're on foot and the feeling in crushing those ant-sized humans is pure :smug: . The sections on foot are :rage: hard though.
I have a slightly anti-anime bias, so the mecha were kind of meh, I didn't enjoy the art direction IN actual game (or rather interplay between art direction and engine's capabilities). Still, a good game, I enjoyed it quite much, especially given how final choice is neither cosmetic, nor typical gud_VS_ebil stuff. Too bad it used lith-tech with it's abominable dynamic lighting system.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I still haven't seen any game that would be better than MW3 at giving the feel of being inside a big mecha and making an impressions that other robots are big fucking mecha too.
And it still wasn't anything close to the cover of MW PnP RPG.

DraQ

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I still haven't seen any game that would be better than MW3 at giving the feel of being inside a big mecha and making an impressions that other robots are big fucking mecha too.
And it still wasn't anything close to the cover of MW PnP RPG.
For comparison, Shogo ranks way below Terra Nova in terms of conveying the giant mecha feeling.

:smug:

Rabidredneck said:
I also played Slave Zero a few times. You were a resistance fighter who had himself permanently wired into a giant cyborg body to free the planet. I don't remember too much, save it tried to instill a sense of scale with you being bigger than just about everything else. You could even pick up soldiers, civilians, cars and such and throw them at things, (organics went splat quite nicely) Also I remember the final boss being bigger than you, but thats about it. I think I enjoyed it for a while, then found something better.

Building were still way bigger than you (acting as walls) and serious opposition was comprised of other giant mechas. It was mostly a regular 3rd person shooter with squishies.

CrimHead

Scholar
Exmit said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-j94S-br9E

LordsPrayerJesusCrying5.jpg

It's beautiful.

Tails

Arbiter
Gragt said:
As far as I remember, C&C in Shogo is basically one choice that only changes a conversation, and another choice that changes the immediate next 3 levels and end boss. You can just save before after you saw one end and then redo the whole level (with enemies with a different colour) then see the other stuff. Fun but not exactly a good exemple of C&C. Maybe it keeps being mentionned because Shogo is an FPS?
Yeah, pretty much this is the main reason, that why :P was in place. It was yet nice surprise for an FPS, though Strife is high above Shogo though, regarding C&C.

DraQ

Arcane
Shogo's C&C come later, but they impart more change on the story and two branches cannot be easily ordered in terms of desirability.

In Strife, OTOH, you mostly visit the same areas, and one branch is much shorter, and obviously worse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom