Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Should I start with MOTB?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
TL; DR

Guys, guys, I wanted to play MOTB and see Avellone in his glory. If I never played NWN2, should I start with MOTB with high-level character? Have no idea, good or bad the main game is (generally I hate 3D RPGs)

Codex Year of the Donut
TL; DR

Guys, guys, I wanted to play MOTB and see Avellone in his glory. If I never played NWN2, should I start with MOTB with high-level character? Have no idea, good or bad the main game is (generally I hate 3D RPGs)
MotB has no real connection to the NWN2 main campaign.
Yeah I know someone will give me shit about this, but it may as well be an entirely separate adventure that has nothing to do with it.
NWN2 ends with
Rocks fall, everyone dies.
Seriously.
NWN2 main campaign is not worth your time. It has a couple highpoints and a lot of shit points.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
TL; DR

Yeah I know someone will give me shit about this, but it may as well be an entirely separate adventure that has nothing to do with it.
NWN2 ends with
Seriously.
NWN2 main campaign is not worth your time. It has a couple highpoints and a lot of shit points.

Accepted! Thanks.

Cael

Arcane
TL; DR

NWN2 ends with
Seriously.

Accepted! Thanks.
There is really no reason to play the OC unless you want to start at a higher level (20-21, depending on how you stretched the XP). Most of the stuff you bring over will be superceded in very short order.

YldriE

Learned
Accepted! Thanks.
You are still the same character as NVN2 and there are a few references and returning characters, so at least read a TL;DR of the original campaign, and check the wiki if you feel like MotB seems to take something for granted.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I previously thought i could get away with just playing MotB but i no longer play this. Not only is MotB's main character the very same one you play in the base game, there are also mentions of events from the main campaign that will fly right past you if you don't play it.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Prime Junta

If you can tolerate the incredibly spongy combat in the NWN2 engine, as well as the herpa derp that is epic-level D&D3 then you're gonna have a blast. It has some really crazy storyfag moments. (It is more Ziets than MCA though, I believe MCA only wrote one character and contributed to the brainstorming a bit.)

Also, the curse is a terrific retard detector. If you're back here raging about it in a few days, you will have been detected.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Go ahead, it's what I did. You miss out on minor things you shouldn't care about.

I believe MCA only wrote one character and contributed to the brainstorming a bit.)

He was supposed to write one, but he wrote two because he's fast and no one else had time to write the other one who would have been cut if he didn't.

volklore

Arcane
I recently played through the OC to play MOTB after (mainly because I dislike starting at high level in DnD games, and I read couple of time that the OC wasn't THAT bad). And sure the OC wasn't that terrible (just very long and painfully average) which led to me not booting up MOTB afterwards because I got tired of the engine and the game overall.
So yes, skip the OC if your goal is to play MOTB.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would start with NWN2 OC so that you have something to measure it against. Also, by playing the OC first you will have learnt all of the games system so that you can put your focus on enjoying the story of MotB instead of fighting the camera.

Prime Junta

Playing NWN2 OC builds character. Highly recommended if your character needs building. Otherwise, not so much

the trial is pretty good and building up the stronghold isn't horrible but it has a terrible first chapter, way too much derpy writing, and an endgame that makes Mass Effect 3 look like masterful storytelling and level design

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can safely start with MOTB because even if you wanted to play the base game after finishing MOTB I don't think you'd even get any spoilers or anything because MOTB has almost nothing to do with the base game and there is no reason to have the character from the OC as the protagonist in MOTB (other than to let people import their character, I guess). All I can remember is that you can meet one of your former companions and ask him some basic questions about what happened after the last boss fight of the OC. The only problem is that the OC is a lot longer and a lot worse than MOTB, so if you play MOTB first you probably won't make it through the OC. The base NWN 2 game is not terrible, some sections are pretty nice actually but it has a bad start, the swamp village, going to Neverwinter and Neverwinter questlines (that's prologue and first 2 chapters, I think?) are kinda shitty, it only gets better and opens up a little after that.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
The only reason to import a character from the base game is that you can start at level 20 instead of level 18.

jewboy

Arbiter
I assume you have already played through Planescape:Torment because that is really where MCA worked his magic. You've probably played Fallout New Vegas already but he also did some of the writing for that game especially in the expansions. MotB is a wonderful and well written game, but it's mostly Ziets aping MCA and doing a pretty good job of it. I am pretty sure MCA himself gave it a thumbs up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom