Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should RPGs let you blow up locked doors with fireballs? DISCUSS

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
We're talking about a roleplaying model where a mage's fireball can destroy a group of kobolds but can never be used to break through a door, "because those are the rules". Is that really what we invented computer games for?

Josh Sawyer says: If you want to open a locked door, invest in lockpicking.

Of course it's perfectly fine to make a door-bursting game if you don't even bother with the inclusion of a lockpicking skill.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And why does he think this is a problem?

Then you have a skill that absolutely no one takes except Role Players who don't care about making a less-than-optimal character.

I didn't bother with lockpicking at all in D:OS, I fireballed everything locked. Worked out fine.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
And why does he think this is a problem?

Then you have a skill that absolutely no one takes except Role Players who don't care about making a less-than-optimal character.

I didn't bother with lockpicking at all in D:OS, I fireballed everything locked. Worked out fine.
If people can aggro every monster in the map at the same time and survive with no issues, game has bigger problems than an useless skill.

Lhynn

Arcane
Why would no one take it? just put a couple ramifications to destroying doors and thats it. Maybe some npc will get mad, maybe you cant save another NPC if you blow that door, etc. Its not even hard to implement.

Because no one cared you were blowing shit up. Its not hard to come up with a way in which a player will if it has an effect in how the game plays out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If people can aggro every monster in the map at the same time and survive with no issues, game has bigger problems than an useless skill.

This isn't a problem at all if you kill everything first and then blow up locks.

(additionally, if they can hear a fireball blow open a door, why wouldn't they be able to hear a fireball blow up people?)

Why would no one take it? just put a couple ramifications to destroying doors and thats it. Maybe some npc will get mad, maybe you cant save another NPC if you blow that door, etc. Its not even hard to implement.

This only matters for civilized areas. If the game takes place in a city with no sewer level nonsense, then okay.

Lhynn

Arcane
This only matters for civilized areas. If the game takes place in a city with no sewer level nonsense, then okay.
Why cant it take place in both? why cant the ramifications of breaking in in a violent way be heavy enough to justify the expenditure. Why are RPGs so fucking afraid of being real RPGs?
So fucking afraid that they hide behind shitty gamey systems over and over again until it makes me want to puke. You see roguey, i think sawyer is part of the problem, like many other developers before him and many more that will come, he simply does not understand what makes an RPG worth playing.

In that case you should consider just using the key you looted from the owner's corpse.
To justify your picklocks point expenditure, no one in the world has the key.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
In that case you should consider just using the key you looted from the owner's corpse.

How many RPGs have a key for every locked door and chest? I can't think of any off-hand.
None as it doesn't make sense. It's just an example.

The point is that locked things shouldn't exist just to justify lockpicking as a skill. Lockpicking should be useful mostly for stealthy approaches.

Lhynn

Arcane
Because in places where you're supposed to kill everyone anyway it doesn't matter.
I dont see a problem with this, youd still want points for civilized bits, and to save time at the dungeon, also as an alternative if you dont have the destructive power needed to blow shit up, many archetypes dont, and if spells are tied to a limited resource you may not want to waste them on doors. also ever heard of traps?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Josh Sawyer says: If you want to open a locked door, invest in lockpicking.

Of course it's perfectly fine to make a door-bursting game if you don't even bother with the inclusion of a lockpicking skill.
Real men roll a d20 (or d6 in 1st edition) and check against their Open Doors number on the Strength table. :obviously:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
That's what I liked in Wasteland 2 tbh. They went to great lengths to make the environment interaction wide open. There's plenty of ways to go get past locked areas, not to mention there's often multiple entry points.

Veelq

Augur
Lockpicking can be use to unlock or to lock the door.
Also locked room can be use for safety rest places. When you decide to destroy all the doors, you can rest there but its unsafe. Just a quick idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom