Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

To this day, I've seen that pic a thousand times and I still laugh at how everyone is still roleplaying while one guy is going HE DIED in allcaps :lol:

The text overlay makes it even better.

Foolish man, did he think he could survOH MY FUCKING GOD HE DIED I CANT FUCKING BELIEVE THAT WORKED HOLY SHITtish is dead! Zounds!

Zeriel

Arcane
Is his... my god, his twitter account is really just a massive brag. "FIRST SECOND-GENERATION HERP DONG IN SPACE". And his picture is so trolly that if it were any one else I'd assume it was a joke.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, shit, this crap might have a negative impact on the Torment Kickstarter if they start around the same time

Edit: Paging Faggot None. Delay, delay! Or start now!

Xavier0889

Learned
It's said that he spent most of his money on his space adventure, yes.

He was pretty much broke after the space trip, is the common rumor. But afterwards he did successfully sue NCSoft for $28 million, so uh...I think he has enough money.

Keep in mind legal costs.

As far as I know he also had to sell his larping mansion.

Richard Garriott @RichardGarriott
What waits beyond for Lord British? http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/ #LordBritishPresents pic.twitter.com/yig8ItoYBt

So... Avatar.... and Moongates. Can he actually use... stuff from the Ultima IP even though he does not own it?

Those aren't moongates... those are lunar portals :smug:
I wonder if RG's still owns some rights over the Ultima franchise. Copyright and all the legal stuff around it is always a mess.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
My understanding is Gariott handed over everything to EA (The Ultima name, IP, everything) EXCEPT Lord British™ , thus the reasson the new shitty Ultima MMO had lady British/ :lol: That is so fucking retarded.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
My understanding is Gariott handed over everything to EA (The Ultima name, IP, everything) EXCEPT Lord British™ , thus the reasson the new shitty Ultima MMO had lady British/ :lol: That is so fucking retarded.
So he only owns his larpy name? I thought he had kept more stuff like the other characters' names. Can't EA find a reason to sue him about this, then? I mean "Avatar", same Ultima font...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So he only owns his larpy name? I thought he had kept more stuff like the other characters' names. Can't EA find a reason to sue him about this, then? I mean "Avatar", same Ultima font...

THAT is what I am wondering. Using "Avatar" they can't do shit. They don't own a copyright to "Avatar". They DO own all the story, characters and places in all the Ultima series, like you will not see Dupre (or even the "Guardian") in his new game (though I'm not too sure on how IP laws work). From Fargo's The Bard's Tale I just know he could NOT mention any character in the original (because EA owns them) or any of the story from the originals. Something like that.

Alex

Arcane
Oh my God! Oh my God!

I know most of you don't hold any hope for Garriot making a good game again, but I do. I can only hope we have very good news one week from now.

Xavier0889

Learned

The font thing would work if it was specifically created for the series. Now that you mentioned that, it always pisses me of the ammount of games that use this Diablo font with crosses in the "o". It is so fucking annoying.
Something similar happens with the Avatar word, because is that, a word. Besides, there are other products with the word Avatar in them (the Cameron movie, the cartoons, etc).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

The font thing would work if it was specifically created for the series. Now that you mentioned that, it always pisses me of the ammount of games that use this Diablo font with crosses in the "o". It is so fucking annoying.
Something similar happens with the Avatar word, because is that, a word. Besides, there are other products with the word Avatar in them (the Cameron movie, the cartoons, etc).
Yes, but there's the relation with Ultima IP, being a "Lord British presents" project, and virtues...It's not just Avatar thrown around in something completely unrelated.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Saduj

Arcane
lordbritishspacesuit.jpg

:killit:

BTW - It was $30 million he paid to go into space.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Imagine, if he really was passionate about a video game, what he could have done with that 30 million......

BigWeather

Augur
I really, really want to believe. I'm not stupid enough to dream of a single player, party-based, turn-based RPG a la Ultima IV or V -- that's just setting myself up for disappointment. Listening to that link Jaesun provided it doesn't sound like my cup of tea (social casual games) but... it can't be worse than what Ultima Forever is shaping up to be, can it?

It's probably a good thing he doesn't have access to the Ultima IP directly -- my wallet would empty for that Kickstarter. Especially if Denis Loubet was on board.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The only thing I can think of, is he will rip off what the Star Citizen thing is doing. An MMO... with single player? Something like that.

Except Chris did it first. Gariott is late to the party.

BigWeather

Augur
I do have some hope. Ultima Online does have a lot of neat non-adventurer roles, maybe he'll pull it off should he (almost certainly) go the non-single-player route.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Context matters when it comes to trade marks and copy rights. You can't just take the word avatar forever, but I think within the context of a computer roleplaying game, when associated with Lord British and the virtues, that EA would have a pretty strong case for creating brand confusion.

The sooner it begins the sooner it can end and he can wake up to the reality of what people do and do not want

MisterStone

Arcane
If he's gone Zynga, might as well write him off and move on to current gen of independent developers

Tytus

Arcane
Ultima series is a hoax it never happened. You were duped by NASA and American goverment. They created this hoax so people would think USA had better games than USSR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom