Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SIGIL - 5th episode of Doom by John Romero

Skdursh

Savant
doom 2 is a game where you spend 95% of the time one- or two-hit-killing everything with the super shotgun, the remaining 5% being cases where you have to put a rocket into a chaingunner who is 5km away or taking out the bfg for bigger hordes

the ssg might as well be an assault rifle and the monsters russian terrorists

"I have no idea of what I am talking about" the post the movie the sequel

just stop huh yer embarassing yourself

EDIT: I'd truly like to avoid going level by level on Doom2's design just to prove you wrong, it's not worth the time and the effort

Hell, even weirdo levels like Tricks And Traps prove you utterly wrong, giving the player challenges by creative monster use, typical of what mods would have done in the decades after and starting to dump the pseudo "realistic" approach of Doom1's first levels towards pure gameplay focus
I don't see what's so creative about shoving a fuck-ton of monsters behind unlabeled doors. Don't get me wrong I love Doom II, but Tricks and Traps is a seriously uninspired level. There is nothing interesting about opening a door and being greeted with 200 copies of the same monster.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
doom 2 is a game where you spend 95% of the time one- or two-hit-killing everything with the super shotgun, the remaining 5% being cases where you have to put a rocket into a chaingunner who is 5km away or taking out the bfg for bigger hordes

EDIT: I'd truly like to avoid going level by level on Doom2's design just to prove you wrong, it's not worth the time and the effort

Hell, even weirdo levels like Tricks And Traps prove you utterly wrong, giving the player challenges by creative monster use, typical of what mods would have done in the decades after and starting to dump the pseudo "realistic" approach of Doom1's first levels towards pure gameplay focus
I don't see what's so creative about shoving a fuck-ton of monsters behind unlabeled doors. Don't get me wrong I love Doom II, but Tricks and Traps is a seriously uninspired level. There is nothing interesting about opening a door and being greeted with 200 copies of the same monster.
I stopped playing DooM II at that level. The first DooM was boring, but at least it goes by quickly enough. DooM II is just this huge fucking slog to plow through. Weirdly, I liked Heretic a lot better. Dunno what's up with that.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Tricks and Traps is actually one of those great ones because you're constantly pressured by time every time you open a new door and let more demons into the central hub, because you do not have enough ammo (or time) to dispose of everything safely.
At least when you're playing with pistol starts. Doom 2 really should be played with pistol starts because the levels were designed around that and ammo carryover really breaks shit.

schru

Arcane
Doom actually holds up perfectly well. I played it properly (with DOSBox configured right and with SC-55 music) only fairly recently and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The shooting feels good, the monsters are varied and work together well, the encounters are arranged thoughtfully, the music is really memorable, and even the visuals are quite satisfying if you take some precautions against how they're spoiled by LCD monitors. It's still one of the best shooters regardless of what technological advances later games utilized (often to their disadvantage).

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Doom actually holds up perfectly well. I played it properly (with DOSBox configured right and with SC-55 music) only fairly recently and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The shooting feels good, the monsters are varied and work together well, the encounters are arranged thoughtfully, the music is really memorable, and even the visuals are quite satisfying if you take some precautions against how they're spoiled by LCD monitors. It's still one of the best shooters regardless of what technological advances later games utilized (often to their disadvantage).
Oh, I couldn't play it vanilla at all. 320 by 200 was simply too grainy. Couldn't see shit. ZDOOM allowed me to play it at a much more acceptable 800 by 600.

schru

Arcane
That's an option too if that's what you prefer, though if you use a source port on an LCD, you might as well use as high a 4:3 resolution as you can to avoid blurring. Then there are SC-55 music packs which can be used with them, which I find quite essential to the experience: http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#doom

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't see what's so creative about shoving a fuck-ton of monsters behind unlabeled doors. Don't get me wrong I love Doom II, but Tricks and Traps is a seriously uninspired level. There is nothing interesting about opening a door and being greeted with 200 copies of the same monster.[/QUOTE
I was wondering when the conversation would turn into another Sandy Peterson hate thread.

Generic-Giant-Spider

They're both good games.

And that box art makes me think we need to give Lovecraftian horror a rest and bring back good 'ol fashioned Satanism.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Did they?

Are we talking that pussy LaVey Satanism which is for Atheists that need more attention from their mom or the Theistic Satanism that has blood rituals and goat skull wearing priests?

If it's the latter, then Satanism must be saved and we're the only two that can do it, Great Deceiver.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
That music is way too much. You can't hear anything else going on. The original had an ambience and tension to fit the music and it was pretty important in being able to hear lurking creature noises.
I wouldn't judge something like in-game volume levels based on a Youtube video, dude. Last I heard, they fingerfuck your video after uploading it by applying their own (quite shitty) version of replay-gain/volume leveling. I'm not sure you get any say in this whatsoever, because I've seen numerous complaints about it in the past on videos and at least one uploader claimed there was nothing he could do without ridiculous amounts of re-encode tapdancing around their damn algorithm.

The problem lies with the music I'd say, it's unrelenting and putting the volume down won't really fix it. But in the final product we can only wait and see

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
The problem lies with the music I'd say, it's unrelenting and putting the volume down won't really fix it. But in the final product we can only wait and see
Purely out of idle curiosity, have you played the first Doom recently? Because, Sign of Evil or no, the majority of the OST is somewhat cheesy rock. I can only think of one exception off the top of my head (Demons from Adrian's Pen).

Venser

Erudite
I say Buckethead + Doom is fucking awesome. Judging by the Romero's Sigil stream, it fits perfectly.

m_s0

Arcane
So, Buckethead contributing new music is a great idea, because it's Buckethead, and the world needs more Buckethead. Yes, still.

I don't know if I'll be playing this with Buckethead on, though, since Buckethead's music deserves full, unwavering attention. Buckethead is just way too good to be treated as some background shredding.

Buckethead.

653KtP2.jpg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Episode 4 is really shitty in comparison to the first 3, so I don't have especially high hopes for this.

Jezal_k23

Episode 4 is awesome.

Also, chaingunners easily start fights with other monsters. That is a real tactical option you have when dealing with them.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Episode 4 is awesome.

Also, chaingunners easily start fights with other monsters. That is a real tactical option you have when dealing with them.

Wadders know this, which is why it's only really an option when they purposefully design the encounters to allow, or require for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom