Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

SIGIL - 5th episode of Doom by John Romero

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Venser, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Plutonia and TNT "not that good".

And that's where i shut down the video.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Multi-headed Cow Scholar

Multi-headed Cow
    Well it is kind of shitty if you were playing it on a N64 and you were playing with a controller, but since that's no longer the case you absolutely should. It stacks up pretty well with Doom 1 and 2 even though it goes for a more brown Quake-like appearance and there isn't much soundtrack to speak of other than just atmosphere. The level design is probably better than Doom 2 though, I don't remember getting annoyed much in 64 even though 2 can still irritate me on occasion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Doom 64 is great. There's a lot of atmosphere and some of the levels are very interesting. Make sure to play it with Doom64 EX:

https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

I'm not a fan of Brutal Doom, but the 64 version is actually pretty decent.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom-64

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    You forgot to mention the most important thing. Their fire is erratic, which means you cannot easily strafe around their line of fire, especially when they are in a group. Epic attempted to replicate this in Unreal with the Lesser Brute, but the Mancubus was better.

All the new monsters are designed to present new challenges, they aren't just there to add volume for no reason. The Revenant has homing missiles. The Pain Elemental can spawn Lost Souls indefinitely so they need to be put down as quickly as possible. The Arch Vile resurrects and has a nasty attack that can't be dodged (you have to brake line of sight). You go out in the open with a room full of those and you are royally fucked. Doom requires actual strategy and planning because of all the novel ways id software came up with to make straightforward gun and running NOT easy.

And the formula never gets tiring, which is the mark of a classic game. I must have played hundreds of wads at this point and i still periodically launch the game to play more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    The Pain Elemental has a spamming limit, though (21 Lost Souls per level, to avoid overcrowding).

I do agree, however. Most of Doom's bestiary (and by extension, Doom2 critters) are very well designed in giving you problems to deal with, forcing the player to employ quick thinking, movement, target prioritization and proper weapon choice, with good sound design alerting the player of what he's going to fight rather quickly.

I'd legit admit that I find the bosses the weakest part of Doom's model, particularly in their original maps. Without talking about the Icon (a fairly... boring design, even if I get what they were trying to do) one has to admit that E3M8 is a tad uncreative.

I liked a lot how Doom the Way Id Did approached the thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kutulu Magister Patron

Kutulu
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    same ... .. .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://rome.ro/news/2018/12/10/reflections-on-dooms-development

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    doom 2 is a game where you spend 95% of the time one- or two-hit-killing everything with the super shotgun, the remaining 5% being cases where you have to put a rocket into a chaingunner who is 5km away or taking out the bfg for bigger hordes

the ssg might as well be an assault rifle and the monsters russian terrorists

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    "I have no idea of what I am talking about" the post the movie the sequel

just stop huh yer embarassing yourself

EDIT: I'd truly like to avoid going level by level on Doom2's design just to prove you wrong, it's not worth the time and the effort

Hell, even weirdo levels like Tricks And Traps prove you utterly wrong, giving the player challenges by creative monster use, typical of what mods would have done in the decades after and starting to dump the pseudo "realistic" approach of Doom1's first levels towards pure gameplay focus

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    you're entitled to your incorrect opiniouns [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    Prove me wrong then

I have ample ammunition for my position

Can you claim the same?

Checkmate, Skaven

EDIT: I reiterate, you are making me agree with Lyric Suite

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Italian ammunition

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Venser Savant

Venser
    The box looks pretty badass but I noticed it's a bit too plain satanistic, lacking the cyber elements of Doom. Also it says "artwork subject to change".

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    The really truly redpilled opinion as far as Doom 1 vs 2 is that Doom 3 is actually the best in the series.

• Funny x 5
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Roxor doesn't like Doom 2 because it isn't like X-Com and Jagged Alliance 2.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. iqzulk Savant

iqzulk
    It makes sense when pistolstarting. You show up, infight the spider with all of the barons, this gives you time to collect rockets from the outer rim (which you would otherwise be unable to due to having been hitscanned to death in seconds). Then you descend again, pick up the plasma rifle from the central building, plasma and rockets combined give you enough ammunition to safely down the spider. Which you proceed to doing, by means of targeting creature's legs while behind the cover in the center of the room. This is a properly thought out puzzle level, although a fairly easy one. Maybe it isn't fit to be the last fight in the original version of the game, as it doesn't represent the ENTIRETY of the game before it (namely, ep1) in terms of its playstyle, but, by itself, it is absolutely fine.
    Tower of Babel is also interesting from pistolstart, but less so, as it is essentially a troll level. You only have the rocket launcher, but there is a metric ton of lost souls trying to get right into your face just as you are firing at cyberdemon with said rocket launcher. And, from what I recall, there isn't enough pistol ammo to safely down all the lost souls first without the usage of explosives. So, cyberdemon isn't even an issue (and, paradoxically, could even be called a red herring to an extent), the real issue is how to safely dispose of all the lost souls - using rocket launcher - first (because without that, you'll be effectively relying on pure luck).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Goi~Yaas~Dinn Learned

Goi~Yaas~Dinn
    Where's my Commander Keen, John? I don't give the slightest fuck about your edgy-boi Satan goat FPS bullshit. I want my final Keen trilogy.

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    Chaingunners would have been much more tolerable if you replaced them with Arachnotrons, shrunk them down to half their size, renamed them to Enforcers, and replaced their sprites with
    [​IMG]

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Mmmmh, no.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. schru Savant

schru
    I find Doom II to be less enjoyable than the original, more of an elaboration of some possibilities the latter had that diverge in some ways from the core that made it so great. Of the new enemies, chaingunners, revenants, pain elementals, and arch-viles create interesting tricky situations, but they also significantly slow down the flow of the game, as they require much more care to deal with. The maps are likewise more experimental and based around specific concepts and tricks that don't always lend themselves to very smooth game-play. It doesn't help that the attempt to give them a more earthly and urban style meant the use of a fairly drab colour palette, which made them visually less interesting.

All in all though, I consider it to be an enjoyable expansion of the first game, but one that's more to the side of it rather than a direct improvement and necessary development in every respect.

• Balanced Balanced x 3
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Venser Savant

Venser
    ^ Top  
  22. Ninja Destroyer Arcane Patron

Ninja Destroyer
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Great news, his maps were really fun to play so a new episode is always welcomed.

Looks like I have another steamy co-op session with Astral Rag

After Sigil, Romero should make a 32 megawad for Doom 2 with some guest modders.

:yeah:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    you should ask Tom Hall

^ Top  
  24. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    Chaingunners would have been much better if you removed them

^ Top  
  25. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    The Keys of Krodacia:
    [​IMG]

Dead in the Desert:
    [​IMG]

Battle of the Brains:
    [​IMG]

You've missed out on a lot, because here are the latest two Keens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)