Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daedalic Silence: The Whispered World 2

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.daedalic.com/silence

https://af.gog.com/game/silence?as=1649904300

Not so good news regarding Silence: The Whispered World 2.

“One of the most important motivations for creating Silence – The Whispered World 2 is to pursue news ways of adventure game design, and explore new possibilities modern adventure gaming offers”, explains Ulrich Wanitschke, Game Designer of Daedalic Entertainments upcoming point & click adventure. “It is our goal to implement a more dynamic progress of storytelling and create a fluent game experience. Puzzles are designed to support the overall storyline, and carry it forward. To accomplish this, we are implementing new ways of puzzle design and use new game mechanics: We will, for example, be introducing new and easy-to-learn one-click controls, which adjust to the current gameplay situation, allowing players to understand puzzles and situations more intuitively.
Furthermore, we won’t be using inventory-based puzzles and an item-inventory at all. Solutions to our puzzles will arise from each specific situation in the game itself”, Ulrich Wanitschke continues.

:decline:

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyeball

Arcane
Terrible news. I also cannot think of a game less in need of a sequel than The Whispered World.

Name

Cipher
Telltale! They are corrupting the whole Western AVG industry?

The true decline of AVG (after the first bit of decline in 90s) has arrived?

RPGMaster

Savant
It's like if Microsoft released the next Microsoft Word and they removed all the features from it so all you could do was type words.

And there would still be some fuckwit reviewers trying to claim it's the greatest and most emotionally engaging word processor ever.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The dead adventure genre dies again.

Fuck this shit anyway. I watched the trailer and had no fucking clue what any of it had to do with the first game.
Is The Whispered World such a strong franchise that it's usable for cash-grabbing?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
new and easy-to-learn one-click controls

There is only 1 reason for stupid like this. They want to go mobile, although they officially claim "for PC & Mac"... yeah... certainly. PC & Mac means they use Unity Engine. Unity Engine means mobile games.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
What makes mobile devices incompatible with the Sierra verb bar?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Actually, this sounds like :incline: to me. Not that I have anything against traditional inventory based adventure games, but Daedalic demonstrated in "Whispered World 1" that they are absolutely shit at designing traditional, inventory based, adventure game puzzles. Which was frustrating as the game had such promise. The artwork and graphics were gorgeous, like some forgotten 1980s Don Bluth film (only prettier), and the basic premise of a child clown unwittingly destroying the world was great. But the puzzles were awful. 75% of them didn't make a lick of sense, and many made even less sense once you stumbled on the solutions by accident. You can get through the early stages just by "brute forcing" the puzzles, i.e. by just randomly combining all things with all other things to see what sticks. But once the gameworld expands latter on, brute forcing everything becomes incredibly tedious. About half way through the game I got sick of trying to divine the designer's absurd adventure game logic and gave up.

So doing away with inventory puzzles in "Whispered World 2" doesn't sound like all that bad of an idea to me. Obviously, I'd much prefer inventory puzzles that are cleverly designed and make sense, but I'm not sure if Daedalic is capable of that. So maybe it'd be best if they tried other avenues.

Although, I think I've been spoiled (or acclimated to decline, depending on your perspective) by the fact that most of the adventure games I've played in the past 3 or 4 years are Wadjeteye games. Wadjeteye is very much a proponent of inventory puzzles that make some degree of logical sense. I know that illogical, Whispered World, type puzzles have been a part of adventure gaming since its inception, but I'm not 12 anymore. I no longer have the time and patience for that shit.

Last edited:

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I like Wadjet Eye games, but their puzzles are so logical as to be boring. I look back on their games with respect for the plots, characters, and innovative mechanics, and never for the puzzles -- fuck, I don't even remember the puzzles. Lots of real-world thinking and disguised logic puzzles. Contrast this with even mediocre adventures like Rex Nebular where you kill an undersea monster by feeding it a decaying toxic hamburger stuffed into a dead fish. I prefer puzzles that are fun to tell somebody about later.

Basically, I have the opposite opinion.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Article about Daedalic at IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/20/e3-2014-young-publisher-goes-for-the-big-time

The Devil’s Men won’t launch until around this time next year, but Daedalic’s other adventure title Silence is due out in roughly six months. A spiritual successor to the company’s previously released The Whispered World, Silence follows a young orphan boy named Noah (yes, the same kid who survived the last game) who must rescue his little sister from the whimsical but dangerous dreamland featured in the original game. Unlike The Devil’s Men, Silence eschews an item inventory in favor of purely contextual puzzles, though you can still expect plenty of tear-jerking dialogue mixed in as well.

Boleskine

Arcane
"Tear-jerking dialogue" and "contextual puzzles" - perhaps TWW2 will continue the trend of adventure games becoming emotion simulators? :cool:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"roughly six months" my ass. And this from one of the formerly fastest dev studios in the industry, working on a game with no inventory system. Looks like they massively overextended themselves on the PS4 port.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I played it super briefly at GDC - Its probably one of the best looking games I've seen recently. It wouldnt surprise me if most of those shots in the above trailer are straight from the engine (the first trailer is entirely in-engine with the exception of the particles) - but I am completely useless with controllers so I kinda gave up.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
A developer's first console game is all about building trust.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Silence is holding a closed beta, English language only.

The closed beta test for SILENCE begins on July 8, 2015. Everyone who would like to sign up for a chance to help test the game, must fill out this form ( https://goo.gl/dObZKo) to be considered. All participants will receive credits in the game and a free full copy. (Please note that participation requires a moderate grasp of English as questions will be posed in English.)

Silence will be released 2016 for PC, Mac, Xbox One and PS4.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/247438/Closed_beta_date_cinematic_trailer_published.php

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
We're interviewing Daedalic at Gamescom; they've got TWW2, AER, and SECRET GAME on the roster. If you got community questions, post them here; I think they'd also take a few general questions, like "How come you make such great games, you guys?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom