Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Crispy™ SJW squad after Frank Mentzer's butt

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Andhaira, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Parrots:
    Yes, that Frank Mentzer, author of the original Red Box D&D, the original Temple of Elemental Evil, etc etc.

I'm too tired to detail everything but here is a link with the entire tale: https://forum DOT rpg DOT net/showthread.php?817741-RPG-Industry-sexual-harassment-Mentzer-abuse-and-what-do-we-do-about-it

Do not click on it verbatim, copy paste the link into your browser separately. We don't want the horde to descend here with their brand of fascism

Mentzer was forced to cancel a very recent kickstarter of his due to this. Link also has the tweets/shots where he flirts with the female designer many decades younger than him. He was also banned from dragonsfoot, an OSR site.

Funnily enough in this same thread Paizo got called out over harassment at one of their cons (CEO of Paio Lisa Stevens was forced to issue a statement where she has revealed she too was a victim of sexual assault), one of rpg nets own moderators was demodded after it was revealed he raped an under 17 year old girl 18 years ago, and many other entertaining nuggets.

Infinitron

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. nikolokolus Arcane

nikolokolus
    Parrots:
    He cancelled the kickstarter because it was a hot mess -- you couldn't tell what he was trying to sell, except some generic Greyhawk knock-off, multi-system monstrosity and he asked way too much money. He parted ways with DF because he sent some really bizarre PM to somebody on the site, threatening to sue them into oblivion.

As for his so-called sexual harrassment, I have no idea, but his recent woes seem like a lot of self-inflicted gunshot wounds. It pains me to say it, because his red box is what got me into PnP and I have a lot of nostalgia about his contributions to the hobby.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Havoc Cheerful Magician Patron

Havoc
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Checking RPG.net or even reading it.

You like eating cancer in the morning?

• Funny x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. udm Magister Patron

udm
    Parrots:
    Summarising the gist of it for anyone trying to understand what's going on. Let me know if I got any of the details wrong.

> Mentzer-senpai makes friends with Jessica Price from Paizo
    > Says some pretty awkward things like "I'm patting my kitties"
    > JP gets a bit weirded but goes along with it
    > Talk some shit, suddenly conversation revolves around JP's friend getting molested
    > Mentzer-senpai expresses that people who get molested should literally fight back on the spot
    > JP says it's not reasonable for people to fight back as people sometimes will be in shock
    > Mentzer-senpai says if that's the case, something's wrong with these people
    > JP flips out, tells Mentzer to stop talking to her
    > Mentzer-senpai says he has created a thread to discuss this in further detail
    > JP flips out some more, Mentzer-senpai also flips out and threatens JP that he'll tarnish her reputation or some such
    > Senpai gets blocked by JP
    > JP takes to Twitter
    > Shit hits the fan

• Informative x 5
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Parrots:
    Evidently, Mentzer has some Neanderthal DNA.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Parrots:
    It's a pity Frank Mentzer hadn't teamed up with Bruce Heard a few years ago to create a D&D-derived system & campaign setting. Instead, Bruce Heard has been creating his own Calidar setting, and Frank Mentzer would have been creating his own, separate setting.

^ Top  
  7. DavidBVal Arcane Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I admire his work in the old days, but... neanderthal indeed, and with a negative WIS score as well. Isn't WIS supposed to go up with age?

This has caught him in a time where being a creepy old guy is almost the same as being a rapist, I don't think it's fair that a few retarded messages mean the end of a career, but in 2017 it might very well mean that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Cosmic Bane Educated

Cosmic Bane
    Parrots:
    :prosper:

Didn't read it all yet but even the first few lines made me laugh.

So basically he talked to some women and was attracted to them, that seems to be all there is to it. Fucking psycho lunatic.

^ Top  
  9. DavidBVal Arcane Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Worst thing he did is being very vocal about his belief of "abuse victim being frozen in inaction = consent". That is a very ignorant thing to say, and a very retarded thing to argue about in a Facebook war vs people that self-identify as victims in the past. I mean, how dumb can he be? He doesn't probably deserve what he's going to get, though. It might very well cost him his career in game design, since his most valuable asset in this business is (was) his name and reputation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Parrots:
    The chick in question seems to be a garden variety, card-carrying democrat libtard - to the point of caricature.

The message exchange seems pretty innocuous dirty old man stuff, but who cares if Mentzer is a pervy old dude - he's one of the icons of tabletop gaming and the very first RPG experience I've ever had was, like many others, with that glorious red box. The girl brushed him off and that should have been the end of it, but of course we live in hysteric times and this gets blown way out of proportion. The girl feels compelled by her FATE as a DIFFERENCE MAKER!

Anyway, this is an almost 70 year old dude who should know better than to try to even engage in any kind of conversation with a millenial, entitled, self-styled "game developer" (I suspect she's as much of a game developer as someone like Zoe Quinn is - i.e. write a few lines of text 'narrative designer'). Exchanges with these people should be strictly limited to functional talk, and only if absolutely necessary (i.e. get off my fucking lawn).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. The Game Analists Arcane

The Game Analists
    Parrots:
    Let's just get this out of the way: His kickstarter looked like shit. And he even admitted that he didn't have fucking anything done. Just a lot of "ideas". So, saying you have a lot of ideas, and throwing out all of the biggest names and asking for a quarter of a million dollars to make a multi-system(??!?!?!?) setting was just pants-on-head retarded.

Like, you can't make a setting work with DCC and 5e, for example. DCC tells you, that when making a setting, you drop the players into maybe 100x100 square miles of shit and densely pack it with dungeons, rotting manors, evil graveyards, snarling monster lairs and shit. 5e is like "go make a world map and fill it with everything". So you have different approaches. In 5e, you fight medusas. In DCC, you fight Medusa. Once. And you kill her or die. Gods in 5e? They generally stand aside and grant divine power to whoever. In DCC, healing someone of the opposite alignment is a sin. It's actually a sin, and your god punishes you for it. Magic is obtained from scrolls in 5e, and kindly wizards might teach a spell. In DCC, wizards are Patches-From-Dark-Souls-Tier, looking only to fuck you over because they desire power. But so do you, that's why you're ignoring the fact that your lust for magic mutated your hand into a crab claw.

These very, very, very different approaches for game mechanics means that only the worst, most bland, most tepid setting a human could make could accommodate all of these styles. Why should the RPG community splash 250k for something you don't even have basic artwork done for? Fucking idiot. D o n ' t f o r g e t h i s t a n t r u m on Dragonsfoot, which got him banned where he basically told someone who was asking questions like "where is the money going to go?" and "why don't you have anything at all whatsoever done for this project?" that he was going to destroy him, ruin his life, get him banned from every major gaming convention in the country and also make it so nobody in the entire RPG publishing world would ever sell to him again.

In general I don't really like this current day Mentzer. He comes off to me as a complete and total dipshit.

Also Moldvay's Basic was better laid out and didn't pussy out on rules and rulings for gods.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. udm Magister Patron

udm
    Parrots:
    Lol if you Google "Frank Mentzer", this thread shows up on Page 1.

• Prestigious x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

Frank Mentzer in Dragon Magazine #43, November 1980.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. DavidBVal Arcane Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    Parrots:
    Um... If this was explained somewhere I missed it. What are those rape-endorsing rules imagined by this person?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)