Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Skyforge MMORPG, co-developed by Obsidian

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by rrc2soft, May 17, 2013.

1. Rake Arcane

Rake
    No engine development means..?
    That Onyx is abandoned or that they don't plan to update it/create another engine of their own/etc?

^ Top  
  2. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Ehh, no? Just that Allods already has an engine suitable for their needs so Obsidian doesn't have to provide one.

^ Top  
  3. Rake Arcane

Rake
    I thought he meant Obsidian plans in general, not only for the MMORPG.

^ Top  
  4. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    To me it just seemed like the plans for this project in particular, but I guess you'd need to ask Duraframe300 for confirmation either way.

^ Top  
  5. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Late to party, but wise man once said: First step to becoming publisher is to put your name on other people's work.

^ Top  
  6. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    It was a general panel about the industry. They plan on abandoning engine development (it's too expensive), instead focusing on easy-to-port tools, as there are plenty of great engines for every budget class around. (As an example he mentions that Unity, Unreal and Cryengine are great to work with and already do the job)

^ Top  
  7. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Ah, that's considerably more interesting then. Too bad about the tablets, though. :decline:

^ Top  
  8. Brayko Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    They probably just need want a little extra money in their pocket and someone seems stupid enough to actually pay them for a little work. Oh well, whatever keeps them alive I guess.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. raw Arcane Patron

raw
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/18/obsidian-and-mail-ru-games-announce-partnership-on-skyforge-mmo/?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Some information about Skyforge

- Up to 40 km view distance at the moment
    - No EXP/Levels
    - 15 classes

^ Top  
  11. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Jasede
    This is where you tell me that this is some elaborate hoax and Obsidian isn't actually a desperate m2f transgender whore sucking every man's dick they can find just to pay for the surgery.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Summary (stolen from GAF):

It's probably for the best. Also that means no Kotor 3 now it seems. Fuck you very much EA/Disney.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oh boy, this is big news. I'll have to listen to this shit myself and make a newspost.

So, when's the next Obsidian Kickstarter?

^ Top  
  14. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    No, its not. That summary has several wrong points in it.

^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Explain.

^ Top  
  16. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    1. While he said large team AAA games, he talks about Assassin's Creed Sized AAA games. Not the games Obsidian has been doing so far. And will most likely continue to be doing (their new project is also of that size)

2. They didn't *drop* their engine team. They are still working at Obsidian and will A: Work in other positions B: Work on the engines they license (as they did before)

The rest contains one, two assumptions which aren't too bad.

^ Top  
  17. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Never trust those GAF cunts.

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    What about New Vegas-sized projects? I think that was Obsidian's biggest game?

^ Top  
  19. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Alright jump to 22:00. Feargus basically says big AAA will be a privilege to Studio owned developers, while the likes of Obsidian are only going to create parts of such AAA games.

F:NV was relatively cheap to create due to a) an existing engine and b) Ninjas & tools.

So while Obsidian probably won't cease development of AAA games in the future, it means they won't take on creating one from scratch, but instead provide assistance to an other developer. Kickstarter and tablet games will be more of a focus in the future.

Perhaps a Bioware/Obsidian combo of Kotor 3 could still be possible in the future?

^ Top  
  20. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Nah, Alpha Protocol was probably more costly.

As I mentioned on the Obsidian forums. I think they will continue pitching/doing publisher games (Of course if they find a publisher). What counts today as *big*, like Assassin's Creed or Resident Evil 6, isn't exactly remotly comparable in manpower/costs to South Park or even F:NV.

^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    I actually meant biggest in terms of team size, not in budget. AP was costly, but it took so long to make that there might not have been that many people working on it at any one time.

^ Top  
  22. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    In that case I think NWN2 beats F:NV internally.

^ Top  
  23. ksjav Scholar

ksjav
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
    ^ Top  
  24. Jedi Exile Arcanum Patron

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    WoW was also based on Warcraft (a great game!), but it doesn't change anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. ksjav Scholar

ksjav
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
    Just a little bit of trivia for all the wannabe critics out there. You know, more reason to harp about the decline? Who wouldn't want that?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)