Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim - Bethesda, you should be very, very proud.

Ermm

Erudite
Mozgoëbstvo said:
Since thay like bugs and laughing, maybe they'll take the saints row path, huh? Going full retard and crafting a massive game only for the lulz.

Then the fans will boycott it, because it would not be enough ''dark&gritty'' for them.

I'm just now climbing the 7,000 steps up to meet the Greybeards, and I have a question. In Emblem VII are the Greybeards referencing the battle between Vivec, Nerevar and the "greatest demon chieftains of the frigid west" mentioned in the The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec? Is this their (succinct) counterpart?

Gord

Arcane
villain of the story said:
There were massive amounts of complaints about a LOT of things. None of which Bethesda gave a shit about. Because they don't need to.

So what do you expect? That developers suddenly start catering towards the idiotic expectations of every single moron out there? Or better yet, yours specifically?
For every argument in favor of something you will just as easy find someone arguing against it.
It's nothing but white noise. Look at this thread. Just the same. And the oh-so-monocled opinions of the codex are no different.

But I disagree that they completely dismiss any form of critique. There are too many obvious improvements from Oblivion for that.

Hey, by the way, if you are into TES since Daggerfall, why are you still expecting real high quality (especially in writing) from Bethesda? They have always put quantity over quality and obviously it worked out quite well for them.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Since nothing now can happen without the Player Character being a special hybrid powered by angel dust, the bets are also on about what kind of special person will follow the DOVA-KHIN, DOVA-KHIN, PA RA PAPPA PA PA, DOVA-KHIN, DOVA-KHIN, TA RA TATTA TA TA.

Will it be a hammerfell cybernegro? A thalmor fully voiced by R. Lee Ermey?

Step right up, gents. Who will the hero be?

My Name is

Novice
Clockwork Knight said:
A Khajiit belonging to the Anti-Drugs Association of Tamriel.

abnaxus said:
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
Never gonna happen since it'd be too much work.

Yeah, like the jungle in Cyrodiil.

oh

Pfft, it's already too much work for a proper armor rating scaling system...Those 5.5 years of dev time was truly well invested.

The more funny part is Beth actually got armor rating done right in Morrowind, out of all things.

DraQ

Arcane
Gord said:
So what do you expect? That developers suddenly start catering towards the idiotic expectations of every single moron out there?
Well, that's how oblivion happened.
:troll:

Luckily Skyrim seems to be quite an improvement - apart from even further mechanical dumbing down.
Drakron said:
If you make reward gear unique then enchanting became unless.
How about making unique items more powerful than what you can enchant, but enchanting more versatile, because you can make exactly the thing you want and mess around with the mechanics rather than being restricted to a fixed array of items.

if do not level reward gear then it either becomes overpowerful or useless ... did you even think about that?
whatthefuckamireading.jpg

Ever heard of such concept as quest difficulty?

-Ok, I am getting fed up with this one ... Dragons in mythology range from overgrown lizards to the D&D "what a God am I" Dragon, I will NOT complain about Skyrim because their implementation is as valid as any.
Dragons in TES are known to be powerful and intelligent, besides, if Dragons are presented as threat of apocalyptic proportion they should live up to that.

My Name is said:
Pfft, it's already too much work for a proper armor rating scaling system...Those 5.5 years of dev time was truly well invested.

The more funny part is Beth actually got armor rating done right in Morrowind, out of all things.
Well, it was possibly the best system where a single variable determined protection factor of a piece of armour.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Not to mention they also look fucking good as well (easily the best ones in recent gaming history as far as my knowledge goes)

Dark Souls is full of badass dragons. :smug:

Majestic47

Learned
Clockwork Knight said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uBibYILDIE&feature=channel_video_title

YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS DOVAHKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

St. Toxic said:
Not to mention they also look fucking good as well (easily the best ones in recent gaming history as far as my knowledge goes)

Dark Souls is full of badass dragons. :smug:

And they're not all cake... Dragon first comes onto the scene and kills you and your family and your dog and your family and you...

Saxon1974

Prophet
Anyone know what places are best to find\buy books?

In Oblivion there were book dealers so if you were looking for specific books you could go there but in Skyrim I havent found any. I have lots of partial collections that I would like to read but dont want to read them until I have all volumes.

I have 2 volumes of the wolf queen and I want to get the rest but cant find them. And I dont want to get them out of game, I want to find them in game.

?

Drakron

Arcane
Saxon1974 said:
I have lots of partial collections that I would like to read but dont want to read them until I have all volumes.

Well there are just partial collections on 16 Accords of Madness (VI,VII and IX), Songs of the Return (2,7,19,25 and 56) and Walking the World (XI).

Saxon1974

Prophet
Drakron said:
Saxon1974 said:
I have lots of partial collections that I would like to read but dont want to read them until I have all volumes.

Well there are just partial collections on 16 Accords of Madness (VI,VII and IX), Songs of the Return (2,7,19,25 and 56) and Walking the World (XI).

Ah thanks for that tip.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Here is something really subtle and interesting in Skyrim.

11smuxi.jpg

North west of Saarthal and north east of Alftand, you find a fallen dead mammoth, with pristine condition dwarven pikes stuck into it. In a very interesting way, the game shows that the dwarves hunted and felled mammoths a long time ago in times of yore. It's one of the very rare moments in the game when suspension of disbelief is possible and you can think of all of it as a world with a history.

MOST OF THE TIME, it is not the case. When you enter a draugr crypt, you don't think of it as an ancient place. You simply think of it as mere level for a computer game that did not exist prior to its creation; all that past attributed to it feels too obviously fake. But stuff like this works much much better of doing that sleight of hand that convinces you to see everything as a given.

Some of the torture chambers in dwarven cities buried underground also do a nice job of hinting at a past to the game's world. One of your companions may hint about how cruel a people the dwarves were.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Mozgoëbstvo said:
I instead think it ups the retardo factor.

Ultra-tech civilization chukkin' spears at mammoths like some neanderthals?
Or maybe they had machines to do it for them? Or maybe it was before they were advanced?

Actually, your point is quite valid all the same. HOWEVER, I am now uncertain those are necessarilly dwarven either. Could be elven. Could be anything.

Luzur

Good Sir
what i miss are those ashpiles with armor laying around in Dwarven holds in Morrowind, that shows where the guards stood when they poofed away.

most of the dwarven holds feels more like big factories/malls, not ordinary homes.

where did the farmers live? the soldiers? where did the merchants ply their trade? everything is factories, auditoriums, pumpstations and whatnot, no ordinary homes or markets.

Mozgoëbstvo said:
I instead think it ups the retardo factor.

Ultra-tech civilization chukkin' spears at mammoths like some neanderthals?

They're more or less cattle, you don't need to order your robots to fire lasers at them just because you can. We still just shove a knife into a pig's guts when we want to eat it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom