Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hamster said:
Wyrmlord said:
I haven't done the main quest or visited any fort other than Whiterun. And I am only Level 15 after playing ever since the game was released.

Wow, the "How to enjoy Turdrim" guide is getting longer and longer, not only you must not do any smithing, enchanting, illusion and sneaking you also should not play it longer than 15 hours and not do the main quest. :lol:

I am actually enjoying it so far, but all those limitation fanboys recommend are just so lulzworthy. :)
Ouch. That hurts. No, I am not talking about LARPing, which is what you mean by "limitation fanboys", I think.

I just meant you need to play **any game** in moderation. Or enjoy any hobby in moderation.

Will you still enjoy Knights of the Old Republic after your seventh playthrough? ;)

DraQ

Arcane
Fuck_The_Banks said:
Some people need to lighten up. This is nowhere near DA2, so it can't be anywhere near worse than Oblivion in every way. This is mildly diverting hiking and linear dungeon crawling. Besides, if I can remove this from my PC when I'm done without consulting the internet for instructions on how, it is an incline on Oblivion malware.
From my (very brief so far) encounter with Skyrim it seems infinitely better than oblivious, but the interface is literally the worst thing ever, worse than bubonic plague, both world wars and Ebola. Together at the same time.

Sheer incompetence cannot explain the interface this shitty, it's either malevolence, or they got some bizzare alien lovecraftian entity that has never even seen perceived a human to design the interface.

Twinfalls is a dirty whore for claiming there are no problems with it.
:x

Black

Arcane
You just need to role-play that you have no standards to like it.
Pretty easy for bethesda rpgs fans.

Majestic47

Learned
The UI *does* train you to just abandon the mouse button when you want to initiate dialogue or interact with the inventory. I find that it frees up my right hand to grab a drink or flick a nipple when I'm selling my loot off.

hiver

its just console UI. they simply didnt bother making any for PC at all.

the "hard coded keys" mod helps a bit.

DraQ

Arcane
Haven't modded it so far, but I seem to have gained some control over the interface. It's still the shittiest thing ever (no joke - someone should be drawn, quartered and hanged here), but at least I have learned to make it do my bidding.
I have also learned to look at my character properly - TPP view seems to be severely restricted if you have weapon(s) drawn.

Updated impressions follow:

The game looks like heavily modded oblivious, minus the excessive derp. I don't think it qualifies as RPG anymore with all the simplification and derp regen (then again, if someone considers LoL1 an RPG, then Skyrim is still pretty deep in hardcore RPG territory), but I'll play and hope it turns out to be a decent fantasy FPS.
All skills start at level 15 plus racials, which I'd deem marginally useful in Morrowind, so it isn't as outrageous as I thought it would be, but the other half of my suspicion is confirmed - you do start as Jack of All trades. Like I said - it's not really an RPG any more.
Character models, curiously enough are of much worse quality (in terms of polycount) than in oblivious, but overall everything looks better.

I see what they did there, BTW - instead of bothering to make individualized models for each race, the lazy bums decided to make a single rough one for each sex and add details that may differ as texture. Lazy as fuck and 1999 has already called wanting its models back (seriously, the look more or less as detailed as in Morrowind minus the Pinnochio syndrome and the fact that you just have single model rather than 10, but still better than fucking oblivion so I won't bitch.

Also, the game seems to attempt some meaningful environmental interaction (we'll see if it actually does or merely seems to) and there are hints of someone actually thinking when designing various things (other than fucking interface).

Mouse input is laggy, though the turning speed is adequate if you push the slider to the max. Horizontal, I mean. What the fuck were they thinking when making vertical sensivity lower? Especially in game where you're supposed to spend time fighting against aerial attackers?

Stat menu is VERY impractical, but easy to navigate compared to item and magic ones.

abija

Prophet
I have also learned to look at my character properly - TPP view seems to be severely restricted if you have weapon(s) drawn.
Hold F when you have weapons drawn, if that's what you mean.

What the fuck were they thinking when making vertical sensivity lower? Especially in game where you're supposed to spend time fighting against aerial attackers?
It's not lower, vertical seems to be just heavily FPS dependant, so you can triple the WTF :p

DraQ

Arcane
abija said:
Hold F when you have weapons drawn, if that's what you mean.
Nope, still much more restricted.

Can anyone tell me where I can find settings for X and Y sensivity? Which ini and how do they look like?

Also, how are you supposed to rotate objects in the inventory, and what are those "reserved" numpad keys supposed to even do?

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
DraQ said:
Can anyone tell me where I can find settings for X and Y sensivity? Which ini and how do they look like?

[Controls]
fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0100
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0200

But even if I change those, it still feels oddly slow unless my fps is really high (which may or may not happen in some interiors, as I seem to get fps drops in some of them, similar to New Vegas, but then I'm playing on a couple year old laptop and have no complaints about the performance otherwise).

DraQ said:
Also, how are you supposed to rotate objects in the inventory

http://www.giantbomb.com/the-elder-scro ... 35-523725/

Click and drag on the item to rotate it.

Just found you can roll up on the mouse wheel over the item on the right and it will zoom in to a larger view without the inventory interface.

DraQ said:

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments ... ch_better/

At the end of your Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Skyrim.ini file, add:
[Controls]
fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0200
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0200

You may have to tweak the numbers until you discover what works for you.

Remember if you're playing on PC without an Xbox360 controller to turn OFF the Xbox 360 controller option in the settings menu.

Solved my mouse problems in one click.

Gerrard

Arcane
You have to make the vertical scale lower, because the speeds are not equal with equal values.
:retarded:

Data4

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
I just wish there was a quest that activated once you kill Alduin and unite Skyrim under the Empire or under the Stormcloaks. Call it 'The Moot'. You have to go around to every Jarl and convince them to meet up and choose a new High King of Skyrim. If you sided with the Imperials then you need General Tullius' approval. If Stormcloaks, then you basically go to Ulfric and tell him he needs to throw his hat into the ring. Once the quest is done a new High King is crowned in either Solitude or Windhelm and people stop talking about the fucking civil war all the time.

Maybe this time I'll figure out how to get Loghain and kick Alistair's ass to the curb.

Oh, wait....

Gord

Arcane
DraQ said:
All skills start at level 15 plus racials, which I'd deem marginally useful in Morrowind, so it isn't as outrageous as I thought it would be, but the other half of my suspicion is confirmed - you do start as Jack of All trades. Like I said - it's not really an RPG any more.

In previous installments you would only get an additional bonus on top of it according to your "class" anyway.
So the end result is slightly less differences between starting characters.

But yeah, RPG would be stretching it. Then again that has probably been true since Morrowind and definitely since Oblivion.

hiver

Admiral jimbob said:
hiver said:
its just console UI. they simply didnt bother making any for PC at all.

the "hard coded keys" mod helps a bit.
The consoles aren't even an excuse for this. Oblivion's UI was a console UI. This is... there just aren't words.
I wouldnt know but i guess it works better with those gamepad things?
Im not saying its an excuse.

Poor Draq, lets just wait until he starts hitting less palatable parts of the game.... he is going to :x

hiver

yeah but expecting improvements, at least subconsciously can be the death of you when it comes to bethesda.

/
wtf is with servers of this shit? puts some more coal in dammit!

hiver

yeah but expecting improvements, at least subconsciously can be the death of you when it comes to bethesda.

/
wtf is with servers of this shit? puts some more coal in dammit!

DraQ

Arcane
abnaxus said:
hiver said:
Poor Draq, lets just wait until he starts hitting less palatable parts of the game.... he is going to :x
UI aside, it's not like anything in Skyrim is worse than Daggerfall or Morrowind. :smug:
Lack of attributes, obligatory JoAT, lack of stat based failure, derpy health regen, lack of guild requirements, less skills, worse enchant, no spellmaker?

That's some major decline.

I don't think it will be nearly as bad as oblivious, maybe even decent, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be worse than TES 2 & 3.

Gord

Arcane
Have now played a bit more of the Thiefs Guild quests. Not that bad.
What's not directly apparent is that it is split in "main" and "side" quests.
I would have liked to see more c&c in the MQ and I'm not all happy about the Nocturnal stuff, but the first half is quite nice, imho.
The side quests at first consist almost completely of RadiantStory quests of the type: Steal x gold, steal item y, etc. If you do enough of them however, you get "real" quests for each city to improve the position of the guild in those cities and as a reward the HQ improves a bit as well. Nice touch.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The Companions have those as well, which I liked. Then they bugged, stopped updating and I could never finish the second tier and do the good ones, which I didn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom