Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Gerrard

Arcane

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Wouldn't using spears as a slap stick break them pretty quickly? Is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon to blame for this nonsense?

Wouldn't using spears as a slap stick break them pretty quickly? Is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon to blame for this nonsense?
P.sure wushu's been like that for awhile. Facepalming that they've used this ballet routine for a western game with a pseudo-nordic theme, though. Then again, seeing an orc prancing about wouldn't be the saddest thing there.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, those graphical additions like seasonal foliage and footprints and non-rigid items being able to move around would surely have added a lot to the atmosphere. The press would have raved over it.
The stealth improvements like water arrows and guards re-lighting torches are pretty awesome and surely Thief-inspired. They would have been praised as revolutionary by the press, too.

The problem is that they didn't need to implement all this to get GotY, they already get it with a mediocre effort, too.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
I'm a little confused as to why people seem to think that everything in the gamejam video is somehow ready to go and be put in the game. They just showed a heavily edited video collage. I'm sure most of the things shown in the video break or mess up some other part of the game or cause bugs. And even if they don't they still need to be extensively tested to make sure they don't. So adding any of those things in was never just a matter of another week of effort and it's in the game. Plus as others mentioned some of those things were things that have been worked on for longer than a week.
Most of things they show in the video are minor features that aren't capable to cause bugs or break game.

SDeden

Novice
I don't think Skyrim is worse in every way but I'm definitely not as enamored with it as I was with Oblivion. Skyrim seems to grant me a lot less freedom. Everywhere I go I feel like I'm being pressured into quests and then forced to do them a specific way. The main quest especially seems even more invasive than it was in Oblivion.

Skyrim is so much more streamlined... it's really sad.

I would say that one thing I do like is the way the civil war is handled, or at least, how the two factions are written. It's not as black and white as something from Oblivion or Mass Effect, say. Both sides have good and bad people and good and bad points.

The more I play Skryim the more I'm certain that one play-through is all I need. Nothing will ever really change from one play-through to the next. Everything is too quick and straight forward.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't think Skyrim is worse in every way but I'm definitely not as enamored with it as I was with Oblivion.
:what:

How can anyone be enamored with oblivion?
It's one of the shitiest games ever.

Skyrim seems to grant me a lot less freedom. Everywhere I go I feel like I'm being pressured into quests and then forced to do them a specific way. The main quest especially seems even more invasive than it was in Oblivion.
And it was actually one of the countless idiocies of oblivion, because if you're pushed into a quest involving ongoing demon invasion and end of the world while still during chargen, you shouldn't be free to ignore it.

Skyrim is so much more streamlined... it's really sad.
Yes, mechanically it continues the immense decline brought by oblivion, by removing stats, further castrating magic, removing item durability and so on. However, in all other aspects it's vastly superior to oblivion, though still inferior to Daggerfall and Morrowind.

I would say that one thing I do like is the way the civil war is handled, or at least, how the two factions are written. It's not as black and white as something from Oblivion or Mass Effect, say. Both sides have good and bad people and good and bad points.
Not being black and white is as TES game should be.
Oblivion was a disgrace in this aspect, like it was in every other.

Luzur

Good Sir
SDeden said:

in that case they must have gone for coffee break at the end during the writing, since the whole civil war story goes to shit after one of the sides have "won".

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Yeah it is a pretty shit game. I like it how Bethshitsda are still insisting that their games are "role-playing" while Obsidian rightfully labels FN:V a "First Person Shooter, Role-Playing, Action" game.

But nothing can be worse than Oblivion, not even Skyrim.

SDeden said:

in that case they must have gone for coffee break at the end during the writing, since the whole civil war story goes to shit after one of the sides have "won".

What are you talking about? It was always shit even fighting through it. Take a fort, talk to commander, talk to Ulfric, rinse and repeat. No counterattacks by the opposing side, no stealth/sabotage missions, nothing! Just derping your side across the map.

The only thing I would count as a plus in this game is the scenery. Simply stunning.

SDeden

Novice
How can anyone be enamored with oblivion?
It's one of the shitiest games ever.

It was like a hostage thing. I didn't really have a lot of other games to compare it to. I never played Morrowind and the only other RPG I'd played was Arcanum.

As for ignoring the main quest (in Oblivion; it really isn't that hard if you roleplay. That said one thing I did for some characters was immediately fast travel to a different city and then pretend to start there. As long as I ignored the amulet in my inventory I could pretend the main quest didn't exist. You can't do that so easily in Skryim.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
As for ignoring the main quest (in Oblivion; it really isn't that hard if you roleplay. That said one thing I did for some characters was immediately fast travel to a different city and then pretend to start there. As long as I ignored the amulet in my inventory I could pretend the main quest didn't exist. You can't do that so easily in Skryim.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying
:thumbsup:

Luzur

Good Sir
SDeden said:

What are you talking about? It was always shit even fighting through it. Take a fort, talk to commander, talk to Ulfric, rinse and repeat. No counterattacks by the opposing side, no stealth/sabotage missions, nothing! Just derping your side across the map.

The only thing I would count as a plus in this game is the scenery. Simply stunning.

it is workable while the ending is just too derp, even for Bethesda.

Luzur

Good Sir
it is workable while the ending is just too derp, even for Bethesda.

You mean Stormcloak side? :obviously: dialogues were OK, Thanks to Saul Tight.

both sides actually, all that work and grinding and runnign around the map just so no one even notices the war is over, just new NPC guards in towns.

heck you can still find Stormcloak camps in the wilderness and just walk in as the legendary hero of the damn Empire in full Imperial Officer gear and all they do is warn you to look out for imperial patrols or that they cant wait to get their hands on one of Tullius men or something.

i mean wtf

DraQ

Arcane
So Skyrim is worse because it doesn't completely segregate main plot and gameplay?
:hmmm:
So is staff just a pointless spear?

What's the point of this line of inquiry?
It's just that as a Pole I'm all up in arms.

Neeshka

Educated
Any mods out yet with the creation kit that have the Codex Seal Of Approval ? Something that fixes the POS combat and gameplay and adds some new locales would be nice I guess.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Any mods out yet with the creation kit that have the Codex Seal Of Approval ? Something that fixes the POS combat and gameplay and adds some new locales would be nice I guess.

Yes. The uninstall mod is the perfect mod for Skyrim. I rate it 10/10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom