Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Skyrim: Making Fantasy a Reality

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Jun 16, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>IGN <a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/117/1176498p1.html" target="_blank">put up an interview</a> with Skyrim Lead Designer Bruce Nesmith. Sample:</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>Bruce Nesmith: What Radiant Story allows us to do it react to a dynamic situation. Before we had it, everything had to be much more specifically scripted.<br /><br />The simple things tend to be the most exciting. If the player drops a valuable item in the world, someone might come over and ask the player if they don't want it anymore. In another case, Radiant Story might have two characters start fighting over it right in front of you. If you kill someone, a relative or friend of that person may decide to hunt you down. Radiant Story allows us to set up these story templates that respond to things the player does, but at the same type keep the reacting NPCs in character.<br /><br />Ultimately players don't think in terms of Radiant Story, they just want to have fun. Radiant AI and Radiant Story are just tools that we can use as developers to achieve that. Like any tool, it can be used properly or improperly. Realizing that was a big moment for us. We've kept the focus on great stories and great gameplay. Sometimes Radiant Story can help with that, and sometimes it can't. If we do our jobs well, the players will never be able to tell the difference.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

^ Top  
  2. kanenas Educated

kanenas
  3. Havoc Cheerful Magician Patron

Havoc
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Radiant AI.

^ Top  
  4. Suchy Arcane

Suchy
    Here comes the innovashun of procedural fedex generator.

^ Top  
  5. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So, they presumably want to create a virtual living and reacting world instead of a static open-world sandbox. This is not bad in its own right. We'll see how it turns out - I somehow doubt effects will be spectacular.

NPCs stealing dropped items was already present in Arcanum, but they did not fight over them or ask if You want them back or other stuff (they however started using them, if the item was good weapon, for example), so there could be some potential :incline: here.

However, I don't think their Radiant Story will get at least as much reactivity to player's actions as there is in Din's Curse. Also, all potential improvements based on increased complexity are probably very limited by the console hardware now, so no miracles should be expected in that regard.

^ Top  
  6. deus101 Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!

deus101
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    damnit....there might be something in this.....Ive talked about emergent gameplay this way...but...well see.

What am i saying this ....fuck is still shit.

^ Top  
  7. Havoc Cheerful Magician Patron

Havoc
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Radiant AI. Who the fuck buys this shit?

^ Top  
  8. Devil Scholar

Devil
    Not me.

:smug:

Time to find those Oblivion pre-realease videos showing the glorious Radiant AI in action. Then go to TESF and point out a few inconsistencies.

^ Top  
  9. kris Arcane

kris
    When I saw that word the last time I was sure it was a joke.

Apparently not. Still, what they write sounds good, is just that I don't trust their implementation of it.

^ Top  
  10. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    Radiant Fanbois, of course.

^ Top  
  11. Miew Novice

Miew
    That thing about dropping a sword or other valuable item and what NPCs might do with it seems to be the only thing they can ever come up with as an example for their AI. :(

^ Top  
  12. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It was already present in ultima VII. And probably some roguelikes.

^ Top  
  13. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    My god... NPCS can pick up... your items on the ground!?

My thoughts?

Radiant:

http://www.thenayshun.com/wp-content/up ... /shit1.jpg

The quests will be scripted JUST like before this game came out. After the fact, they will spin how they didn't want players to experience the "full" potential of radiant story. After that, Bethesda will sorta hope everyone forgets the over-hyped, under-developed, shoddy, and shitty concept of fuck feces.

^ Top  
  14. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Fuck, it was present in hitman, since i played it now.

^ Top  
  15. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart

It's like the game industry is discovering the lost city of Atlantis (aka, older games).

^ Top  
  16. Vibalist Arcane

Vibalist
    Radiant Story? Another feature that will be hyped in previews, fail completely to live up to the hype and then be glossed over by reviewers. Nothing to see here, is there?

^ Top  
  17. curry Arcane

curry
    I hope they didn't get too excited about their new engine and overdo it. Like, in Fallout 3 people would bring you gifts all the fucking time and in GTA you'd get those phone calls ALL THE TIME asking you to hang out even when you're busy doing something important.

^ Top  
  18. kofeur Scholar

kofeur
    Expect to have an annoying NPC come bother you everytime you want to get rid of an item... :M

That being said, I'd like to see them implement other NPCs dropping items and someone coming to fight you for them, but that might be too advanced fot the 'amazing' radiant AI...

^ Top  
  19. Ecco Novice

Ecco
    Production of Skyrim will be moved near Fukushima for a real radiant experience. Other news at 11.

^ Top  
  20. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    Next-gen is finally catching up with 90s.

^ Top  
  21. .Sigurd Educated

.Sigurd
    History repeats itself.

:lol:

^ Top  
  22. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart

Good catch. I remember all the hype Oblivion had. So disappointing...

^ Top  
  23. Black Arcane

Black
    ^ Top  
  24. G.O.D Cipher Patron

G.O.D
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    Bruce Nesmith, One of the big thinkers of our time:

:clap: :D

^ Top  
  25. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    So I will be able to get a shout that lets me romance dragons?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)