Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim,worth it?

Joevonzombie

Literate
Telltale's writing is highly overrated. If these games are not worthy of your time, why the fuck have you been defending Fallout 3? Also your " the writing's bad because I read books" argument is laughably pretentious. Which RPGs are you playing that are allegedly balanced?

I don't play Fallout for the story. Maybe for atmosphere and design. Most games that I play or design do not even have a story.

Once again, the logic is: Fallout 3 story is bad compared to FNV. True. FNV story is bad compared to myriads of things, like books. Yet FNV is praised as masterpiece. Moreover, Fallout 2 is no better than Fallout 3 in terms of story, why is this a masterpiece? Logical explanation: games are complex works of art with writing being only one component. Both Fallout 3 and FNV are mainstream games with great emphasis on things besides story. One of those has better story, but the game in general is not that better. Fallout 3 is worse than FNV in some respects, better in some (fewer), but if you hugely prefer one over the other that's purely a matter of taste. I hugely prefer FNV over Fallout 3 but it doesn't make me blind to the facts.

As for balanced RPGs - say, Dragon Age 1 was ok, it had a difficulty curve unlike Fallout games (1-4 and FNV). Same for more linear RPGs like Dark Souls 2 (not 1) or
Gothic 2.

Books are shit, so reading them is hardly something that would elevate your taste. Smart people don't expect to find good writing, be that books, games, or movies, they focus on what is good beneath the surface. In the case of FNV - the interactivity and sense of being part of momentous intrigue, making choices and role playing.

Smart people don't expect to find good writing - that's very funny. So you suspend your disbelief to ignore bad things in FNV but not in Fallout 3? Are you one of those people who argue that Fallout 3 is shit and FNV is one of the best RPGs ever? This interactivity and roleplaying is a small, almost invisible part of the game. And roleplaying is questionable in FNV as your character is much more defined than F3 one and has much more linear paths.

What you've said about Skyrim can be said about Morrowind and Oblivion. I've first played Morrowind before the patches and didn't have a difficulty choice, but then I've tried it later, experienced everything you've described and was horrified. I wouldn't say Skyrim is too hard on normal, the problem is there's no real difficulty curve and people change difficulty level gradually during the game which sort of fixes the problem. Changing it at the start of the game throws balance out of the window - you have to fight without getting hits cause you die quick, so you never develop armor skills and quickly gain weapon ones.
Fallout 2 has the benefit of having interesting characters and locations and a story that for the most part isn't completely fucking retarded. it has its silly moments and pop culture references , but at least it wasn't a giant fight over who gets to turn on a fucking giant brita filter that nobody in the game world actually needs. It's also established in Fallout 2 that a GECK can do more than purify water which also negates Fallout 3s story.

You're idea of balance is something that streamlined and easy. I think we're done here.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I tried running the game yesterday. With all the SL mods installed and everything and try to have a normal game going aka 'go somewhere, do quest, kill stuff.'
Well. Killed a necromancer outside Whiterun. She's by that Serpent Sign Stone, remember?. Bethesda got a nice robe with magicka regeneration and discount on destruction cast. So okay, double flame spell till out magicka and then just spank them with steel sword it is.

Bethesda moved to the bandit camp. They started taking potshots at me, but Bethesda manage a few dodge, get close enough, roast them to death. Magicka ran low, swap to steel sword swing..and suddenly a loud vibrating noise interrupted Bethesda. It appears I left some dildos up her butt and vagina. She started moaning and gripping her own breast and rubbing her own crotch with the other spare hand while I furiously smack the WSAD keys to dodge the incoming Bandit Chief attacks.

Amazingly she recovered, she drew the steel sword again, about to take another swing when the game notifies the steel cuff bondage made Bethesda clumsy and she drops her sword.
I started laughing and just switched back to double casting flames till the Chief is medium rare and well done.

Winning that, I started picking loot up till Bethesda was near encumbrance limit and walk back to Whiterun (I don't like to fast travel) and suddenly I was notified there's a warm sensation on Bethesda's nipples. She's lactating.
And as a result, her breasts grew heavier.
I am suddenly encumbered.
Bravo.

I drop a few iron helmets I didn't need made it back to Whiterun where Bethesda was forced to strip because that's the new rule in town and sold every loot she got.
And then went to get something to drink IRL while she get herself set up on the dwemer milking machine.
She was out of milk and moaning from the dildo that was thrusting in and out of her by the time I got back.
When I told Bethesda to step out of the machine, a passing guard has his arousal meter full and decides to fuck her in the ass.
This is a great game.
I wish Fallout 4 is like this.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I know we all love the bash TES and Bethesda, but I have to admit, no other RPG gives me the same sense of adventure and exploration. Yes, for example Wticher 3 looks better (much better), the world and map design, characters, writing, quests etc are all superior, but it just doesn't make me want to explore further and see whats around the corner in the way that TES does it. Oh well thats why they sell millions and shmucks like me get hooked playing.

Joevonzombie

Literate
The exploration in TES has never really done it for me. Sure, there's a lot to see, but nothing to really do.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
How do you mean nothing to do? Killing mobs, getting stuff etc, same as any other RPG no?

Joevonzombie

Literate
How do you mean nothing to do? Killing mobs, getting stuff etc, same as any other RPG no?
if the bare fucking minimum is what you're into then sure. What I should say is there isn't anything of real substance to do. A lot of the time there is just wasted real estate with loot. No real story or interaction.

Red Rogue

Learned
if the bare fucking minimum is what you're into then sure. What I should say is there isn't anything of real substance to do. A lot of the time there is just wasted real estate with loot. No real story or interaction.

I also feel this way. Skyrim is an attractive game, but if you're looking for something more than a detailed province with explorable buildings and caves, then it falls short.
I think the team at Bethesda that handles Fallout does a much better job in that regard. In Fallout you run across side quests with branching options and complex plots much more frequently.

Disclaimer: When I say "complex plots", what I really mean is a side quest that is more complicated than "Go to this cave, swing your sword at some sort of evil, come back and listen to my exposition."

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Not worth it. It's not even pretty anymore, barren mountains and grey slopes. The forest are not even forests just a few trees.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shit game. Played with or without mods. And yes I finished the whole fucking thing. Some nice vistas but that's it. Shit everything else, no need to roleplay in character, just hit everything with a hammer as spells are shit. No characters worth a damn, hardly any memorable quests. Dragon battles shit as in all ES games shooting at flying shit is shit. Thank fuck you get dragonrend shout reasonably early to pin those fucking things. Only Mora's world looked ok, though even that was repetitive shit. Maybe Dark Brotherhood quests were sort of ok too as you were encouraged to kill fuckers (as if you needed encouragement to kill banal quest dispensers) but even that is clutching at straws.

If you do play it in spite of this, do the Vampire quest and max out your Vampiric powers on random villages. You'll be so OP as fuck that at least you'll get through the game faster. Change into Vampire out of view and go to town. Slaughtering whole towns with blood drain or whatever is satisfying(apart from the unkillable cunts). Then just change back into normal and watch as the survivors treat you like a best buddy again :D I made the mistake of trying to play it properly, not do exploits etc. in order to get a 'challenge' and I regret not doing the Vampire thing sooner.

Don't know why I struggled to the end as I can't say I enjoyed it apart from maybe the first 5-10 hours(even then I didn't enjoy the usual shit training level intro that all ES games have) when I explored a good part of the regions. After that, I steadily grew more and more annoyed and disinterested. I think ES games would be ok with focus and trimming 50-70% of the cut pasta stuff to at least not overstay their welcome(probably 30-40 hrs max like Gothic/Risen) but given the fucks that love to larp these shit worlds for 1000's of hours, that's never going to happen.

Oh and for any cunt that thought this game was difficult and needed to lower difficulty: kill yourself. The 'difficulty' comes when mooks randomly do some cinematic hit on you out of the blue and you get killed that way. Usually happens when distracted by something else. Apart from that there is no real 'difficulty' outside when you yourself get into an area where some draugh death lord always spawns(one crypt only)so if you go there at level 8-9 you'll be fucked and have to cheese the fight to survive. Everywhere else,it follows the scaling model you expect so you won't be taken unawares. There's no tactics or planning in the game: either you are strong enough to whack the enemy into submission or you aren't. Getting a companion is an instawin, as is picking up the Sanguine Rose from the Night to Remember quest in Solitude Inn. The companions from those either kill the enemy themselves or distract them so you can wail on them from behind.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom