Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

`

false Kalin

Arcane
`

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
phonegap-12-728.jpg

Modron

Arcane
Of course, as soon as the mouse ran over the discs, the game gave away that I needed to use the claw but I still had to find the solution. A good start for puzzles.

Remembering three symbols from the back of a claw counts as a puzzle these days? Reminds me of this

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck adventure games in their gay arse.... give me option to just bush the doors instead of looking for a key who someone cleverly hidden in out house 5 maps away only to find broom stick inside needed to pull panties hanging from high rope I need in order to cork some hole in my car gas canister... and so on. Skyrim is good for what it was Hiking in Norway simulator with clever social commentary or two put inside and even a twist in its Civil War Campaign but it ain't some stinking adventure game.
Come on faggots it got THREE puzzles three old years Kwan kid could do in three second... All right maybe not Kwan one but you catch my drift.

v1rus

Arcane
The biggest problem i had with Skyrim, is the fact that the bloody world doesnt work, at all. And that whole "multiple storylines" faggotry made the game lack ONE decent storyline. I mean, c'mon, you can side with empire, get decorated as a war hero, become a big general fucker. Then you finish the "storyline" and you start the assassins guild one. Before you know it, you have a mission to kill the emperor. And how does our PC, the decorated war hero, one of empires most loyal and competent servants, achieve that? By diving under fuckin' water and climbing the ship. You'd think that decorated generals would be allowed on emperors gayboat, or at least, have an easier time accessing it, but no, that would require writing and programming above the absolute fucking minimum.

Bonus - I also love the douchebags with their "but the world is huge!" argument. I love that argument so much that i kiss it gently to sleep every night. I also love the fact that I'm 1337 enough to play Gothic, not Skyfuckingrim.

Tl;dlr - another pointless Skyrim rant, we all love and adore Gothic, you guys know the drill.

Frozen

Arcane
I love the Romanian accents of all these great voice actors...all 3 of them.
First time hearing them back in 2002....it was that special place for me.
And how its so cool to hike in the same game over and over for 20y.
In the same fucking engine bro!

Yobachi

Literate
Swear how you want, fact is that even ppl who say how bad Skyrim is, have spend 40+ hours by killing enemies with bow and they had lot of fun with that. And no, bow-killing is not this enjoyable anywhere else (not even Far Cry Primal).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
El problema with Skyim is that the game is only awful once you've tried your hand at a proper RPG.

My first computer RPG was Skyrim. And I really enjoyed it, because as an adventure game, it delivers. But after trying proper RPGs, all the flaws come to light. And it's really, really terrible, no matter how you look at it:

- Tons of pointless exploration since the player is not properly rewarded for it. Requiem fixes this by making the chests in dungeons hold much better loot.
- Half-assed combat with pathetically easy enemies, not helped by the fact that they level with you. Requiem fixes this as well.
- Brain-dead quests and faction questlines. Broken beyond repair. Even the "Immersive College of Winterhold" mod doesn't do shit to fix this, all it does is pretty up the place and nothing else.
- Can't fail 99% of the quests and you have little (5%) to no choice (95%) in them. Unsurprisingly, the Civil War changes exactly NOTHING in the game. It literally makes no sensible difference to the player who the hell wins the war. Ulfric is dead? Wooho, like it changed anything when he was alive.

It's an adventure game which is best experienced by staying the hell away from anything involving NPCs with dialogue. Hunt deers and bears in the plains outside Whiterun, craft potions, stupid shit like that.

Yobachi

Literate
What are those 'proper RPG' games you talk about please? I am not being ironic, I would just love to know so I can play them too ;)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What are those 'proper RPG' games you talk about please? I am not being ironic, I would just love to know so I can play them too ;)
2 posts defending Skyrim. I won't take the bait.

Jazz_

Arcane
The problem with all Bethesda games is that their writing sucks major asses, trite and banal beyond belief, and their worlds are generic, dull and lifeless. I can't remember one character from their games, and I have tried to play Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3 and Skyrim. The combat sucks too. I think the only redeeming quality is that they can be easily modded with the ''uber ultra HD graphics'' mods, but even after that the gameplay/writing/lore remains shit so it becomes just a panorama simulator I guess.

Miner Arobar

Educated
I love the Romanian accents of all these great voice actors...all 3 of them.
First time hearing them back in 2002....it was that special place for me.
And how its so cool to hike in the same game over and over for 20y.
In the same fucking engine bro!

If it were the same game, Skyrim would be a lot better than it is! Incidentally, Skyrim has hardly any voice actors coming from Morrowind - a pity,
as Morrowind's voice acting (such as there was) was great, Oblivion's deplorable, Skyrim's serviceable. The British wide boy accent for the Dunmer in Skyrim
is a poor substitute for the gravelly voice of Morrowind, but it's better than the squeaky-voiced "Dunmer" of Oblivion. Much like the three games as a whole.

Redguard's voice acting was great and awful at the same time. As to the OP: here's a good example that Bethesda can do puzzles. Redguard puzzles
were great. I agree that Skyrim's puzzles were pathetic. Kind of like the general unfinished state of the game. As a sandbox, it works fine, but some
quests would have been nice, and with my current char, I'm kind of dreading having to do the awfully rushed and railroaded Markarth Cidha mine quest _again_.

Incidentally, I note that there seems to be an overlap between people that hate Elder Scrolls games and people that really like Gothic games. Can't really
comment (tried Gothic 3, couldn't get into it) - but is there anyone that likes both?

Walden

Savant
Not at all. Finding the symbols on the claw is the puzzle. The first time around, the player doesn't intuitively know to go to his inventory and fiddle around with the items. A weak puzzle but as a one time throwaway, wouldn't have been bad. It really made me hope the game was warming up into the adventure element, but... oh, well.
Speaking of Skyrim puzzles: you are an adventurer, you run into a door with 3 animal emblems and near the door there is a claw with three animals carved on it. Door that has never been opened for hundred years and many other adventurers who attempted this hard task, but failed. Not to mention that this riddle is recycled to death all over Skyrim. I couldn't feel immersed.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Skyrim is shit until you apply my mod, which addresses the most fundamental design flaw.

That's actually pretty neat, I noticed that myself a few times but never bothered to look for a mod to fix it.

Not that I will use it since I don't play Skyrim anymore, but will download just to endorse it.

typical user

Arbiter
Fedexing in caves is my biggest complaint for this game. I hate dungeon-crawling and this game is fucking you with it. Go into this tomb, go into this cavern, spend next 2 hours "exploring" same copy-paste area with same copy-paste enemies for same copy-paste loot as well as item or doing anything else to finish some stupid copy-paste quest. I can't remember any major quest which didn't tell me to go into some den outside of town to fight some bandits or another faggotry to complete an errand of some douche in Markarth or any other "city" populated with 20 uninteresting NPCs all acting like they are autists.

Only retard creates somewhat interesting world with pine-forests which almost seamlessly transistions into snowy mountains and then boots you into cave on any occasion just to bore you and artificially increase length of his game.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
One of skyrim's main issues is that one of the intended central features of the game was cut, presumably due to console limitations. The civil war was at very dynamic, you'd select holds from a map to attack and in order to gain score you'd not only have to win Fort & Capital City battles but also recruiting giants & orcs, blackmaling stewards, intercepting couriers, rescuing people from prison, assassinating key leaders of the enemy. It also gets more complex in that they had scripted a Resource System that would contribute to the Civil War's score you'd have Farms, Mines and Mills that you could capture and defend or burn down. You even had the options to purchase land and set patrols on said land.

This appears to have been very far in development before it was cut, most likely due to it being too taxing on consoles.

Deus Ex Invisible War was hacked to pieces due to consoles back in the day. I remember previews originally had pictures of wide-open levels. It was later admitted that they had to segment areas to fit on the original Xbox, and many chunks were done away with altogether. Once they got started on the way to simplification station they couldn't stop.

Edit: Incidentally loot is one of my biggest problems with Skyrim's dungeons. Just like Oblivion you eventually lose all incentive to explore a cave or ruin.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Edit: Incidentally loot is one of my biggest problems with Skyrim's dungeons. Just like Oblivion you eventually lose all incentive to explore a cave or ruin.

Ironically New Vegas got the loot right (unique or useful as opposed to lots of vendor trash), but the caves wrong (boring as fuck), yet people much prefer Skyrim's bullshit approach to exploration.

typical user

Arbiter
Ironically New Vegas got the loot right (unique or useful as opposed to lots of vendor trash), but the caves wrong (boring as fuck), yet people much prefer Skyrim's bullshit approach to exploration.

I think the opposite. Caves, vaults and like were straight forward, no useless junk to pick up and most importantly you weren't shoved it every 5 minutes. Only Bright Brotherhood was boring IMO but all vaults in NV had interesting stories and didn't feel copy-pasted. Exploration was done right in that game. I didn't need quest markers to visit those areas and I could skip them entirely. Some like areas like Vault overrun with convicts had unique quest which IIRC didn't give you quest marker with "invastigate this area" like Fallout 4 does with Museum of Witchcraft and many others.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I think the opposite. Caves, vaults and like were straight forward, no useless junk to pick up and most importantly you weren't shoved it every 5 minutes. Only Bright Brotherhood was boring IMO but all vaults in NV had interesting stories and didn't feel copy-pasted. Exploration was done right in that game. I didn't need quest markers to visit those areas and I could skip them entirely. Some like areas like Vault overrun with convicts had unique quest which IIRC didn't give you quest marker with "invastigate this area" like Fallout 4 does with Museum of Witchcraft and many others.

But they were mostly quest related, though. That is, there were no "caves for the sake of exploring", just "places related to quests". Skyrim had amazing places to explore, even if we were just railroaded through the dungeon. New Vegas, however, most caves were pretty small and looked pretty much the same.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
But they were mostly quest related, though. That is, there were no "caves for the sake of exploring", just "places related to quests". Skyrim had amazing places to explore, even if we were just railroaded through the dungeon. New Vegas, however, most caves were pretty small and looked pretty much the same.
Most of the "dungeons" in New Vegas are actually buildings, and they are where you find interesting stuff if you explore. If you forget them and only think of the underground areas as dungeons then yeah they are much the same, the caves tend to actually look like caves.

pippin

I can't remember one character from their games, and I have tried to play Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3 and Skyrim

The only characters worth remembering from any TES game are Jiub and Fargoth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom