Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Slay the Spire is a pretty cool game

J1M

Arcane
Has the feel of Dominion deck building and a Hearthstone dungeon run.

header.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/app/646570/Slay_the_Spire/

Currently offers 3 classes that are vastly different. It also appears at least 2 strategies are viable for each class, although randomness in terms of rewards will force you to adapt as you face progressively more dangerous encounters.

It does one thing really well: it shows you the consequences of your decisions, so you can make meaningful ones. For example, if presented with a choice in a random encounter it will tell you what will happen for each choice so you can make an informed decision to take that curse card for that relic bonus. It will also telegraph what enemies are going to do on their next turn, which leads to playing different cards depending on what your opponents are about to do.

The game is in early access right now, but the standard mode seems 'done', and there is a daily challenge/free play mode.

It would be really great if they took this core and wrapped it in a campaign of some sort where a 'spire' was basically a dungeon, which unlocked better cards, etc.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Is this really the first thread on this very well known, successful game that entered EA 0.74794520547 years ago?

Tiospo

Learned
It’s a great game. As much as Monster Slayers sucked up my time, I think Slay the Spire is a better game.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Im genuinely surprised it hasnt been talked about more. Its not like its obscure or anything, and it should appeal to a decently large chunk of the codex.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game's alright, but gets pretty repetitive after few playthroughs. Needs a lot more cards, artifacts, enemy types and other stuff that would make individual runs more unique.
Is this really the first thread on this very well known, successful game that entered EA 0.74794520547 years ago?
If there's another, its name outsmarted the search tool.
I think it has only been talked about in some thread about card games in general.

J1M

Arcane

Needs more :littlemissfun:

If anything I think that is an endorsement for the design. When the stars align, you can make some really interesting combos. Most of the time, you won't have everything fall into place like that.

There's also a card that reduces all damage to 1hp, but eliminates block effectiveness. Can work great if you can cycle your cards fast enough.

If there's a design weakness, it's that there aren't a lot of viable decks that prefer many cards. Dominion has some strategies that involve filling your deck with coppers, for example. There are some cards like that here, but they don't really work together.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well, had he faced the time eater he would probably be fucked.

It's a great game, though I agree some more content of everything would be great to keep things more interesting in the long run.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If anything I think that is an endorsement for the design. When the stars align, you can make some really interesting combos. Most of the time, you won't have everything fall into place like that.

There's also a card that reduces all damage to 1hp, but eliminates block effectiveness. Can work great if you can cycle your cards fast enough.

If there's a design weakness, it's that there aren't a lot of viable decks that prefer many cards. Dominion has some strategies that involve filling your deck with coppers, for example. There are some cards like that here, but they don't really work together.

Yeah, and to be fair, infinite mode kills all cheese decks, which is kinda mean.

After a few runs, the "roguelike" aspect of it starts to get tiring. Since RNG decides what kind of build you can go for, you can't really try out some ideas.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Toppest of keks.

06BF32073B25E737151924994521FE057482F38E

1 turn perfected all the bosses. Lost "Shrug It Off" to a late game event, so did it all effectively with four cards. Could've still lost one drop kick TBH.

So when does this game actually release

Hey, this is a roadmap! This is our focus during Early Access. We expect/hope to full release around Summer 2018. [--]

CONTENT
  • The Third Character.
  • Enemies: At least three more combat encounters for level 3.
  • Game Modes: Daily Challenges & Infinity Mode (Unofficial Name)
  • Cards: At least 250 cards total (currently 187)
  • Relics: At least 135 relics total (currently 115)
  • Events: At least 50 events total (currently 42)
  • Potions: There'll be more to chug, quaff, and chuck.
  • The True Ending + Secrets!

They are very close. If you want it for cheap price, act soon. Was up for 10€ at GMC.

It's not a pretty cool game, it's the pinnacle of human achievement. 230 hours racked up and 99% done on all achievements except getting an ascension 20 win, where I've been squeezing my nuts with a vice for a week or two in asc20 with no luck. In my defense it's possibly because I picked the Silent to aim for it because she was (Is?) the one I most consistently won with but she's got less completely busted scaling options than the other two which is what's more important in ascension 20. Especially when you have to do a double act 3 boss fight, which I've gotten to a few times and whiffed it since I run out of steam.

Ironmonk

Augur
188h for me... it's really repetitive, but I still keep playing a few matches every week.

My classes preference are: Defect > Silent > Ironclad

I recommend to anyone that likes card games... RNG is frustrating sometimes, but still a solid game.

It's repetitive but in a good way. The sort of way where you can plan for things and make decisions based on possible outcomes. "Oh, this card might not fit my deck super well but I'll get completely assblasted in act 2 unless I get some better AoE. Oh, my act boss is the champ so being able to keep a good defensive card in my hand with well laid plans so I can get through his execute turn is particularly important. Oh, this shop has the bent spoon for sale so do I want to buy that and hope like hell I get the ghost event or do I want to skip it and buy something else", etc etc etc. That's also more of an issue when you're ascension climbing. Low/no ascension is a lot more easygoing, and the dailies are a good time since the modifiers can change how you value cards and relics quite a lot, although I will say that trying to remember everything that influences your final score is a mild pain in the ass. The biggest ones are perfecting elites and bosses, but you need more than just that if you want to go full poopsocker. Which I've done a few times.
3619CA96E2E2AF1BA1A32E0FFF0BBBEC9E4250B5

One day you'll see the light Daka. Let Slay the Spire into your heart.

The only thing that's important is when you'll be releasing, and I'll tell you Grunker it's every single time you boot up the magnificence that is Slay the Spire. The first time it happens it'll be a surprise, you won't be sure what's going on as pleasure rocks your body in waves, but you'll soon learn better. Keeping yourself well hydrated before StS sessions, keeping paper towels at hand, maybe going so far as to designate some pajama pants your StS-wear. Gradually you'll become inured to it, your resistance giving you the ability to make it through the main menu. Tentatively you click to start a new game. Only one class available. Sweat beading on your brow you click it and start the game. Whale noises play from your speakers and you're over the edge again as Neow greets you. The whale is good enough for now, but how long until you can make it into the game? How long until you're beating act 1? Act 2? Act 3? Climbing on ascension? You'll eventually come to measure your life in pre-StS and post-StS terms. Enjoy your innocence while you can.
:creamyblood:

panda

Savant
Holy shit, just accidentaly clicked last option on Neow screen and got Snecko eye. Resulted in my first A20 victory.

Jesus H Christ, finally got my own ascension 20 win. That was nervewracking. Didn't even really leverage the shuriken much, it was mostly just abusing the everloving fuck out of intangible.

CC1FB95C656619C84F74F7485F621976157B2137

Grunker they're calling the upcoming shit "Final content" so presumably it's releasing soon. Odds are it's just whatever the "Actual ending" will be since otherwise they've been doing more work on trying to make it more presentable with little animations and shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom