Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Slay the Spire is a pretty cool game

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by J1M, Aug 13, 2018.

1. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Has the feel of Dominion deck building and a Hearthstone dungeon run.

[​IMG]
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/646570/Slay_the_Spire/

Currently offers 3 classes that are vastly different. It also appears at least 2 strategies are viable for each class, although randomness in terms of rewards will force you to adapt as you face progressively more dangerous encounters.

It does one thing really well: it shows you the consequences of your decisions, so you can make meaningful ones. For example, if presented with a choice in a random encounter it will tell you what will happen for each choice so you can make an informed decision to take that curse card for that relic bonus. It will also telegraph what enemies are going to do on their next turn, which leads to playing different cards depending on what your opponents are about to do.

The game is in early access right now, but the standard mode seems 'done', and there is a daily challenge/free play mode.

It would be really great if they took this core and wrapped it in a campaign of some sort where a 'spire' was basically a dungeon, which unlocked better cards, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DakaSha V Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Is this really the first thread on this very well known, successful game that entered EA 0.74794520547 years ago?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    Parrots:
    No.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DakaSha V Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    o

^ Top  
  5. Tiospo Novice

Tiospo
    Parrots:
    It’s a great game. As much as Monster Slayers sucked up my time, I think Slay the Spire is a better game.

^ Top  
  6. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    If there's another, its name outsmarted the search tool.

^ Top  
  7. DakaSha V Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Im genuinely surprised it hasnt been talked about more. Its not like its obscure or anything, and it should appeal to a decently large chunk of the codex.

^ Top  
  8. Projas Information Superhighwayman Patron

Projas
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Game's alright, but gets pretty repetitive after few playthroughs. Needs a lot more cards, artifacts, enemy types and other stuff that would make individual runs more unique.
    I think it has only been talked about in some thread about card games in general.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Needs more :littlemissfun:

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    If anything I think that is an endorsement for the design. When the stars align, you can make some really interesting combos. Most of the time, you won't have everything fall into place like that.

There's also a card that reduces all damage to 1hp, but eliminates block effectiveness. Can work great if you can cycle your cards fast enough.

If there's a design weakness, it's that there aren't a lot of viable decks that prefer many cards. Dominion has some strategies that involve filling your deck with coppers, for example. There are some cards like that here, but they don't really work together.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Berekän Arcane Patron

Berekän
    Parrots:
    Well, had he faced the time eater he would probably be fucked.

It's a great game, though I agree some more content of everything would be great to keep things more interesting in the long run.

^ Top  
  12. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    How does it compare to other games of the "genre" like Dreamquest?

^ Top  
  13. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Yeah, and to be fair, infinite mode kills all cheese decks, which is kinda mean.

After a few runs, the "roguelike" aspect of it starts to get tiring. Since RNG decides what kind of build you can go for, you can't really try out some ideas.

^ Top  
  14. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So when does this game actually release

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Toppest of keks.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

1 turn perfected all the bosses. Lost "Shrug It Off" to a late game event, so did it all effectively with four cards. Could've still lost one drop kick TBH.

They are very close. If you want it for cheap price, act soon. Was up for 10€ at GMC.

• nice nice x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Multi-headed Cow Educated

Multi-headed Cow
    Parrots:
    It's not a pretty cool game, it's the pinnacle of human achievement. 230 hours racked up and 99% done on all achievements except getting an ascension 20 win, where I've been squeezing my nuts with a vice for a week or two in asc20 with no luck. In my defense it's possibly because I picked the Silent to aim for it because she was (Is?) the one I most consistently won with but she's got less completely busted scaling options than the other two which is what's more important in ascension 20. Especially when you have to do a double act 3 boss fight, which I've gotten to a few times and whiffed it since I run out of steam.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ironmonk Learned

Ironmonk
    Parrots:
    188h for me... it's really repetitive, but I still keep playing a few matches every week.

My classes preference are: Defect > Silent > Ironclad

I recommend to anyone that likes card games... RNG is frustrating sometimes, but still a solid game.

^ Top  
  18. DakaSha V Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    I would like to warn anybody who plans on debating the quality of this game with Multi-headed Cow

^ Top  
  19. Multi-headed Cow Educated

Multi-headed Cow
    Parrots:
    It's repetitive but in a good way. The sort of way where you can plan for things and make decisions based on possible outcomes. "Oh, this card might not fit my deck super well but I'll get completely assblasted in act 2 unless I get some better AoE. Oh, my act boss is the champ so being able to keep a good defensive card in my hand with well laid plans so I can get through his execute turn is particularly important. Oh, this shop has the bent spoon for sale so do I want to buy that and hope like hell I get the ghost event or do I want to skip it and buy something else", etc etc etc. That's also more of an issue when you're ascension climbing. Low/no ascension is a lot more easygoing, and the dailies are a good time since the modifiers can change how you value cards and relics quite a lot, although I will say that trying to remember everything that influences your final score is a mild pain in the ass. The biggest ones are perfecting elites and bosses, but you need more than just that if you want to go full poopsocker. Which I've done a few times.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

One day you'll see the light Daka. Let Slay the Spire into your heart.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Multi-headed Cow Educated

Multi-headed Cow
    Parrots:
    The only thing that's important is when you'll be releasing, and I'll tell you Grunker it's every single time you boot up the magnificence that is Slay the Spire. The first time it happens it'll be a surprise, you won't be sure what's going on as pleasure rocks your body in waves, but you'll soon learn better. Keeping yourself well hydrated before StS sessions, keeping paper towels at hand, maybe going so far as to designate some pajama pants your StS-wear. Gradually you'll become inured to it, your resistance giving you the ability to make it through the main menu. Tentatively you click to start a new game. Only one class available. Sweat beading on your brow you click it and start the game. Whale noises play from your speakers and you're over the edge again as Neow greets you. The whale is good enough for now, but how long until you can make it into the game? How long until you're beating act 1? Act 2? Act 3? Climbing on ascension? You'll eventually come to measure your life in pre-StS and post-StS terms. Enjoy your innocence while you can.
    :creamyblood:

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. panda Learned

panda
    Parrots:
    Holy shit, just accidentaly clicked last option on Neow screen and got Snecko eye. Resulted in my first A20 victory.

^ Top  
  22. Multi-headed Cow Educated

Multi-headed Cow
    Parrots:
    The snecko giveth and the snecko taketh away. But mostly giveth. Congrats though!

^ Top  
  23. Multi-headed Cow Educated

Multi-headed Cow
    Parrots:
    Jesus H Christ, finally got my own ascension 20 win. That was nervewracking. Didn't even really leverage the shuriken much, it was mostly just abusing the everloving fuck out of intangible.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)