Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping Dogs

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, May 25, 2012.

1. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    you don't need max police xp due to the police side missions. pretty easy to hit police 10 way before story starts rolling if you just do the drug busts.

^ Top  
  2. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I have pretty much the same setup actually. I'm suspecting some kind of a bug actually, if you drive beyond a certain speed, the screen starts jerking/tearing/shaking like your car's suspension was bust.

The whole "troubled past, cop with a vendetta" -angle. And the fact that he starts breaking apart on the first morning (after you sleep). Plus the case files and whatnot. Unless there are major twists coming up, he is pretty much textbook undercover cop with conflicted past. Fresh in games but not in the genre.

^ Top  
  3. Seboist Arcane Patron

Seboist
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    That it was, Kerrigan wasn't some cackling witch and Mengsk wasn't a self-parody, nor did the story go all over the place with sub-plots that have nothing to do with anything like ME2 loyalty missions.

(To clear any confusion I meant Bioware not Brood War in my first post)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. CreamyBlood Arcane

CreamyBlood
    So, is this a movie or a video game?

^ Top  
  5. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Is there a big difference nowadays?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Don't forget the truck load of pre-planned DLC it has (they sell it via a 'season pass').

You need to brush up on your analytical skills because you should have been able to tell that before actual making this thread.

^ Top  
  7. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I read this a lot, but I can't agree with it. I've played GTA4, but I don't think that it had semi-realistic driving. It wanted to have that, but it failed. It had good physics when the cars collided, but they could spin out too easily, and their suspension was so soft, they were moving like boats on water.

^ Top  
  8. Comrade Goby Arbiter

Comrade Goby
    Project: Eternity
    If all GTA clones are like this then I welcome more of them.

I was surprised by hod good this game was. Stands up with GTA games.

And rain looks fucking amazing with HD textures and settings.

Emma Stone was underused :(

Like legit 10 lines in the game.

Maybe it's just because Ching Chong land isn't used that much in games but it has great atmosphere.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    i like the game, despite it being buggy as hell. definitely better than vanilla gta 4.

^ Top  
  10. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Buggy as hell? I've yet to find a bug in the game, and I'm playing quite a lot with it.

^ Top  
  11. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Only found two bugs, where I needed to collect a case off someone but when I beat him up, his case fell through the ground. The other one might be performance related - when running or walking down a road the screen can sometimes jitter.

Other than those, no bugs.

^ Top  
  12. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    let's see...
    1.03:
    i'm not getting any steam achievements awarded.
    first time i started playing naz would just stop at some point and not move any further in the intro mission and just magically appear at the end if you kept running. also the cops wouldn't move into position the way they are supposed to.
    the game often crashed with hkship has stopped working errors.
    took patch 1.04 for that mission to work properly.
    after face level up i was changing paint jobs on car in garage when car valet called to tell me he's available, which stuck the game permanently on the garage screen and nothing worked to get out of that.

1.04:
    still no steam achievements.
    when you go to bed and trigger multiple phone updates, the newer ones override the old ones and you can't scroll history or anything. had a brief flash that not ping left a voice message, but then another one from raymond triggered before i could actually listen to/trigger said voice mail, and no way to trigger it afterwards.
    people and barrels sometimes spawn in midair and fall down for no reason. seems to be bound to specific areas. also rarely happens to you if you leave car in/after a few of the missions.
    game still often crashes with hkship errors, but now they seem to be related to certain story points and actions (handing in last jade statue, vaulting over cover when rescuing the girls in kidnapper 3).
    lots of minor but nevertheless annoying physics and clipping glitches, especially related to special objects like the lockboxes.
    possible bug: sometimes a driver in a race just keeps getting faster and faster developing a truly monstrous advantage and me failing the race around 50-70% completion with no possibility to win whatsoever.

^ Top  
  13. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Tough luck bro.​

^ Top  
  14. Ermm Erudite

Ermm
    Tried the game, it has some flashy gimmicks, but that's all there is to it. All flash, and all forgettable.

^ Top  
  15. mikaelis Prophet Patron

mikaelis
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Can you save during missions, or is it like in GTA?

Are the missions actually interesting? I remember trying hard to get into GTA4, but the missions were so boring that I gave up after 10 hours of play.

^ Top  
  16. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Like in all games of the genre, missions are just short challenges that progress the story. Good in short sessions, gets old if you do too much without break.

BTW, updating display drivers eliminated my crashing problem completely.

^ Top  
  17. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Finished the main story. Seemed fairly short for a game of this type. Although I didn't really bother with most of the side content. Overall the game was fairly fun - 7/10. Some issues with controls, camera can sometimes get annoying, too many minigames and QTEs. And the story, while engaging enough, takes itself too seriously for the amount of cliches that it has. Also completely underwhelming last fight. Still, if you like this type of game there's a big chance you'll have a lot of fun with Sleeping Dogs.

Very nice looking game, except for Depth Of Field which cannot be turned off. How I hate that effect and everyone who forces it on me in games. I imagine they think it helps with draw distance issues, but it still pisses me off.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  18. Comrade Goby Arbiter

Comrade Goby
    Project: Eternity
    Yeah the water effects were noice

^ Top  
  19. thesoup Arcane

thesoup
    I saw a stream of this game the other day. Looks very gimmicky, but somewhat decent. I might get it on a 5€ sale one day.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    What does that mean?

^ Top  
  21. thesoup Arcane

thesoup
    J_C
    Lots of really pointless minigames and derpy batman aa/ac-like melee with lots of contextual press button to win counters. Enemies glow when they're about to attack you.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    There's a demo out on Steam now. Played it, and surprise, didn't really like it much.

^ Top  
  23. a budda Arbiter

a budda
    and there's not even a strip club?
    12h sand-box?
    jee...

^ Top  
  24. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C

You can still play Dragon Age and Mass Effect if you want wanking material.

^ Top  
  25. a budda Arbiter

a budda
    what can u wank to in DA?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)