Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

SMAC Multiplayer Game - Nevill vs BROzil

Discussion in 'MP Gaming' started by Nevill, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    In this thread I challenge The Brazilian Slaughter to a duel.

All rules are at his discretion. I suggest these ones:

1. A player is not permitted to establish contact with another player prior to having met them in-game.
    2. A player may not use build queue manipulation or other loopholes to hurry production at a cost that would be lower than directly hurrying the item that one intends to build, except for the first 10 minerals
    3. A player may not use build queue manipulation or other loopholes to build something you could not directly add to the build queue.
    4. A player may not upgrade a particular type of unit using the design workshop, and then attack with that unit in the same turn.
    5. A player is not permitted to make more than one social engineering change per line, per turn. For instance, one is not permitted to start the turn in wealth, switch to power mid-turn for the extra disbanded minerals, and then switch back to wealth that same turn, getting the refund.
    6. Stockpiling in build queue allowed when building units. (of course when building sp/facility too, but it's not needed to do anything to gain those bonuses too)
    7. Upgrading crawlers before adding them to hurry a secret project is not allowed.
    8. Reverse-engineering allowed, except for reversing basic units, such as Speeder chassis from a Probe Team, amphibious pods from Colony Pods etc.
    9. Additional move after former builds something and his flag is gray is not allowed.
    10. Messing with other players (represented by AIs) during Council meetings is NOT ALLOWED. You can't let AI override the player's vote.
    11. Probe team actions are NOT PUNISHABLE by automatic vendetta. If a player wants to start a war over a probe action, they must initiate it manually. The responce over the probe actions defaults to 'Overlook' until it's the affected player's turn. (in PBEM the player using a probe decides the reaction of a player against whom the action was taken)
    12. Self-destructing units with Fusion reactor or better is not allowed. The self-destruct formula allows to destroy any number of units by detonating two 10-1-*^2 Jets/Copters in the adjacent tile. Disbanding units to get rid of them is perfectly fine, though.
    13. All game-relevant information (Global warming warnings etc.) that only displays for the first player should be provided to the rest of the players too.
    14. Retiring units is prohibited, period.
    Players must 'Obsolete' the designs, not retire them. Retiring a design erases all instances of the design from the game, including thoise that belong to other players. This is obviously unacceptable.
    15. Trading bases with AI via diplomacy is prohibited. Gifting them bases is allowed, though.

Additionally, I present any of these for consideration:
    a) Empath Guild, Planetary Transit System and Cloudbase Academy are BANNED.
    b) Crawlers are banned
    c) Drop pods on combat units are banned
    d) A player can own no more than 40 bases at any given time.
    e) You can't capture AI projects. An AI base with a Secret Project must be destroyed or gifted back to AI.

Questions that we need to decide:
    I) Random map, hand-made, or Map of Planet? What size and characteristics?
    II) Just the two players duel, or more? A duel would be MUCH faster.
    III) Unity Pods - on or off?
    IV) SMAC or SMAX? Patched with custom patches, or vanilla?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    I suggest to The Brazilian Slaughter to surrender immediately, you can't beat the Eternal Russian.

(And the horror stories about Nevill and SMAC have echoed enough to reach my ears. Nevill , when you are going to hear the call of your blood and buy Dominions, to reinstate again Complete Slavic Domination?)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    At this point in time? Probably when I get fired. Buying games is no problem, the problem is I have 200 games in the backlog that I bought but didn't play...

I have not touched a game besides SMAC multi for a year, I think. I couldn't even free enough time to play Fallout: Nevada or Resurrection. :negative:

And the next free time I have I will be devoting to finishing the goddamn Vangers LP anyway.

^ Top  
  4. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    The rules are fine by me.

No-Crawlers would be a interesting rule.

What's so bad about the Empath Guild?
    We could use that map of planet we were using - remember, the one with SMAX landmarks that I altered to eliminate a bunch of needless monoliths? I think I found it recently.
    I'm fine with other hand-made maps, I would have to forage through the net for old maps since I lost my old cache of SMAC maps.

I find big codex games more fun, but would be fine with either.

Unsure. When I play with unity pods on, my navy becomes the Sea Scavenger Service.

I was thinking SMAX, Binary Dawn.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Haven't you heard? I'm Brazilian, and we never give up.

Beating Nevill would be a nightmare tho - he's probably the biggest SMAC buff on Codex.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nothing bad, and compared to the other two it's downright harmless. Just an effortless Infiltration, and given that it provides 50% more votes, the opponent likely won't become the Governor either, so no counter-intel. Might be worth it for 200 minerals, though.

If you want to keep it, we can keep it. Those are just suggestions that were mostly considered to make the game more fun. I have a few others, like limiting the max attack by max researched armor*2 on units (does not mean you need to armor units, but you need to research armor which NO ONE DOES, because tech tree is stupid), but this is considered too hardcore by most, so I don't insist.
    A duel then. Too easy to get delayed otherwise. Though if you know consistent players, you could invite them, I suppose.
    Hmm. Do you have any experience playing this? It's a curious mod, quite different from vanilla, but it has its own imbalances (and the delayed Value civics piss. me. OFF!). You probably won't find many players for modded ganes, though.

MercantileInterest, what's the latest build?
    Yeah, it tends to give big rewards for sea exploration, and could get ridiculous with green factions. I generally prefer to keep them off and concentrate on the game instead of the pod roulette.

Fine by me. So then... install the latest BD and go? I will create the game, just send me the map.

What faction do you want? I'll probably try the Believers or Peacekeepers... maybe Domai?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Shit son, I forgot that detail. Yeah better prohibit that shit.

Didn't Yitzi's patch also allow for a modification that makes infiltrations last X ammounts of turns? MercantileInterest does Binary Dawn enable this?

To the death, then. Needlejet Tickets, BITCH!

We could always run parallel games. I mean, its not like a SMAC game takes long to play a PBEM turn. Make another thread?

Bonus point if we narrate and screenshot the HAPPENINGS on the Codex. I gotta get my equip on the ready.

I shall take a detailed look these days, then report to you what I think.

Fine by me, no scattering then.

Alright, I will tell you when I get my SMAC set up.

Vanilla factions forever.

Morganites. I have a bold, insane strategy I want to test alongside Binary Dawn.

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hmm. Sure!

Same map, or different one?
    Ok, I'll take PK. Haven't tried them at all with the mod.

^ Top  
  9. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    it does? Hmmmmm...

I have another tactic...

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Same map, I guess? People like to play with Map of Planet here. Do you still have the map I told you about?

Battle of the Builders, then! May the best builder win!

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Nope. I hope you have it.

Oh, the most important question, Blind Research or Direct?

Tell me when you are ready and I'll create the game. Which faction do you want for the second game? I'll take Domai.

^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    ^ Top  
  13. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Oh sorry bro some stuff held me up
    We shall begin soon

^ Top  
  14. Eadee Learned

Eadee

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Sorry for the hold up, had to install the patches and Binary Dawn and find my map folder.

Here's the map:
    https://mega.nz/#!tANRgaIL!PrRcNn2RvaPuW27LOdqYFVh_DRkr6TqX2NQKn6hBcQg
    Like I said, Map of Planet with SMAX Landmarks (Borehole Cluster, Manifold Nexus, etc). That said, the map originally had a bunch of clustered monoliths with no place in the game, so I removed them.
    The map you want to use is Smaxplanethugenomonoliths.MP.

I included the others in the interest of verification (yplanety and yplanet), so people can see that I did not tamper with the originals beyond removing the weird monoliths.

Let's get started

MercantileInterest
    Your mod includes a map file. Mapofchiron.MP. What's up with that, anything cool about it?

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I started on the other map (of standard size). Should I restart? It'll barely take 5 minutes.

If we don't restart, we can start the second game on huge map, I guess.

^ Top  
  17. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Sure! Huge maps are best!

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    It is time to appeal to national pride, it seems.
    Are you giving up, bro? :positive:

^ Top  
  19. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Exams' s week. Calendary is fucked up, everything is in August. Sorry.

Fuck the last teachers strike and fuck communism!

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)