Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMT - Strange Journey Redux (3DS Remake) coming May 15 to Citra

Do old passwords work with Redux ? I've tried to add passwords-only members like Pillar Zelenin and failed.

any reason to play the psp version (on citra)?

It's 3DS, not PSP gaem.

Anyway, haven't finished it yet but so far - no. Nu-artstyle is total decline and looks like their main reason for redesign was to make Alex not feel out of place :/

Puukko

Arcane
Old passwords don't work. Kaneko is MIA so in order to create new portraits it wouldn't have worked to have a mix of old and new portraits in different styles.

Finally finished Redux a few days ago.

Overall, it's a wasted potential. New interface, ability to have all apps on, app that makes Doomguy involved in co-op with different alignment demons, 3D environments, save anywhere... they're small improvements but definately in right direction.

New dungeon (Womb of Grief) makes Eridanus looks like a cakewalk, especially FUCK that 1st Sphere conveyor belt hell. Oh, and what a great tune, very similar to Eridanus one.

Artstyle? I was a little bit dishonest saying it's awful, it's just vanilla Kaneko art that is too good to be replaced. Dev team put a lot of effort to give portrait not only for Alex but also for most (previously anonymous) NPC's as well - Irving, Captain Jack, Ryan, Kato etc. Damn, if only Kaneko was there or there was a switch or keep old sprites intact... at least Pillar Zelenin is the same as she was in vanilla.

Wapanese voice acting is great (JoJo's Kira as Mastema, yeah!) but I'd love to see english version, with Zelenin speaking with russian accent and Jimenez the same with latino one.

New Endings? Blah, I HATE them. I don't really get what Jimenez exactly did, he bring destruction of entire human civilization once again. And law ending, now it's moar like Neutral-Law... Why Atlus FINALLY won't give us a proper CHRISTIAN ending, it's like every of law endings are being...

a) nazi regime
b) rebel against God like in SMT2 and Redux

... and now it's another deceiving leftist POWER OF HUMANITY INDEPENEDENT OF GODS AND DEMONS bullshit.

To sum up, I'd take the minor mechanics changes, reject most of new content and propably play vanilla once moar to wash out the bad taste.

PS: I can confirm that you can bring bosses / NPC to your party but only through save file hex editing - tested on Pillar and Lady Gaga Zelenin.

Puukko

Arcane
How'd you fare against Shekinah? Probably the hardest and most engagin final SMT boss for me.

How'd you fare against Shekinah? Probably the hardest and most engagin final SMT boss for me.

She's hard but really, she's just a stronger Mem Aleph. My preps:

1. Have 90+ level demons of different alingment
2. Buy app that allows fight to continue after Doomguy's death
3. Buy app that allows Doomguy to participate in co-ops with demons of different alingment
4. Buy app that triggers co-ops after criticals
5. Some of your demons should have Endure Soul

It was enough but if it wasn't, there's still an easy exploit - just fuse some low-level demons that reflect as many kind of attack as possible, single attack will cost Shekinah thousands of backfire damage.

Harder bosses? Demifiend in DDS1, Satan in DDS2, Lucy in DeSu1.

closest is LAW ending in devil survivor 1

Agree, but I meant main SMT geams. Maybe in SMT5...

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Sure, but I meant final bosses, not superbosses, specifically because final bosses in this series tend to be a bit lackluster.

Puukko

Arcane
Haven't played P3 myself.

Final bosses off the top of my head in the order I beat them:

DDS1: Has some nasty one shots but can be cheesed through phases with damage in both forms.
DDS2: Deals shit for damage but takes a fairly long time.
Nocturne: Disco ball is easy, Lucifer can be more challenging as is thematically hella cool but still more for show than challenge.
P5: Had me struggle a fair bit on top of being very long, a good challenge.
SMITV: Lucifer and Merkabah were both easy.
SMTIVA: Thematically cool and required some careful planning but still just moderately difficult.
Raidou 1: Actually really fun and over the top.
Raidou 2: Annoying with the way MP worked in that game.
SJR: Both Mem Aleph and Shekinah are really challenging, the latter somewhat more so. Both require good knowledge of the fight, planning and some luck.
P2 IS: Well, the PSP version is easy in general, I made this harder than it needed to be due to lack of rez items but still fairly easy. Very cool thematically.
P2 EP: Harder and required me to farm some specialized Personae, one wrong move and lol you're muted.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why Atlus FINALLY won't give us a proper CHRISTIAN ending

SMT has always been about stop cock-sucking nut-jobs on either side of the spectrum and let humanity determine its own fate. Even SMT 3 takes a jab to Buddhism in form of Hikawa Reason of Shijima.
And really, because the classic Law ending of everybody becomes mindless God slave is pretty Christian already :smug:

"Worship me or be condemned to eternity of suffering" of abrahamic religions is batshit enough when viewed from lens of anything but religious people who believe in them. Refusing critical thinking and prosecuting idea contrary to commonly accepted dogma is also pretty much the color of conservatives religious group which what the Law faction is. On opposite you have radical anarchist of Chaos whose entire philosophy is fuck the law just because. While initially always pictured in somwhat positive light compared to Law, later SMT (4 mostly due to 3 having different route, altho Reason of Yosuga is pretty close) shows that Chaos is also being batshit insane because society will devolves in face of eradication of rules.

If anything, perhaps due to its being more prominent in the West now, SMT has been back-tracking on God insanity by having YVWH pretty much just an insane administrator of the world or whatever and the true God is good all along. And Lucifer & Metatron are just pawn of YvWH or whatever in SMT 4 Apocalypse.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Lucifer is indeed a pawn who overestimates his own might, but such is his nature.

Well in SMT 4 Apocalypse, YVWH created both Lucifer and Merkabah (not Metatron, I was mistaken last post) to create eternal conflict just because. So the Lucifer rebellious streak is pretty much just a scenario drama whatever to create conflict. And so is the Law faction through Merkabah.

What I am not sure tho is how self-aware both Lucifer and Merkabah on the whole process. Do they just play along with it all or do they made truly believe in their own crusade? I kinda forgot, been a while since I finished Apocalypse.

Vorark

Erudite
Haven't played P3 myself.

Nyx was on the easy side since you can easily over-level by just exploring Monad and the only bullshit move it has might be charming a healer in order to cast Mediarahan. Never witnessed it but have read people raging about it.

Viata

Arcane
only bullshit move it has might be charming a healer
Which can easily be countered by making Narcissus Flower for you party. Just register Narcissus one level below the level she gives the heart item(just register her every level until you find the right level).

And really, because the classic Law ending of everybody becomes mindless God slave is pretty Christian already :smug:

"Worship me or be condemned to eternity of suffering" of abrahamic religions is batshit enough when viewed from lens of anything but religious people who believe in them.

Once you embrace faith you'll understand that God's law helps you improve your life significantly.

PS: according to Raidou 2 in SMT universe the true God worshipped in Catholic Church is The Great Will so again, there is a chance for PROPER Christian ending in SMT5.

Dorarnae

Arbiter

"Worship me or be condemned to eternity of suffering" of abrahamic religions is batshit enough when viewed from lens of anything but religious people who believe in them.

Once you embrace faith you'll understand that God's law helps you improve your life significantly.

PS: according to Raidou 2 in SMT universe the true God worshipped in Catholic Church is The Great Will so again, there is a chance for PROPER Christian ending in SMT5.

You can't have proper Christian when in the game you have reincarnation...to me SMT always felt more jewish/kabbalah...

Latro

Arcane
SMT is simply Japanese. They understand that Christians believe in One God, but to them He is simply one of a number of deities. I do agree the "Great Will" is an attempt to acknowledge an overall pseudo-Christian framework to it, but it's basically shinto-esque paganism with jewish/christian concepts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom