Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yo Cyberarmy, watching the game on Lobos' twitch on and off and only now it struck me - does the game have the same stupid mechanics like Witcher 3 where the mobs' HP (or damage resistance) is scaled by your level? That is - if you hit a lvl6 mob while on lvl3 you barely scratch it but if you hit it with the same weapon while on lvl8 you take half its health?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Yo Cyberarmy, watching the game on Lobos' twitch on and off and only now it struck me - does the game have the same stupid mechanics like Witcher 3 where the mobs' HP (or damage resistance) is scaled by your level? That is - if you hit a lvl6 mob while on lvl3 you barely scratch it but if you hit it with the same weapon while on lvl8 you take half its health?

Yes, but only with certain secondary enemies. In the main story enemies always have the same level according their type (In the normal difficulty at least)

It's shite tho. I hated that mechanic in the twitcher and I hate in every single game I see it.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Eh, not that much. I was able to kill higher leveled enemies without many problems. You can damage them good but they can kill you very easy (mostly 1 shot thanks to friggin diff.setting...) Hell, even the first valkyrie I encountered wasnt that of a HP sponge, still a bitch tough.
I started to kill them faster after getting better gear but still dying quick till the end. There is no player level btw, only equipment lvl and stats from them.
Dunno if I made any sense, kinda drunk right now.
:positive:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

Big Wrangle

And then you have the reliance on violence inherent in the God of War franchise, including the new game. This trope has always turned some people away from video games, and as the user base expands, violence becomes a mechanical crutch. It's a proven approach, but it also limits the range of people who might want to interact with a game.
It's fucking God of War, there is gonna be fighting no matter what. Also good job dismissing how the violence and rage is part of Kratos' personal arc. Or maybe, you just never liked the series. There are other games buddy.

We can blame money, of course, for much of this. While Sony might have gladly signed off on a God of War evolution, it's tougher to imagine its executives signing off on the franchise doing something 'drastic,' like replacing its hero with a heroine. At the end of the day, Kratos is a commodity. And while liberties could be allowed in the story, it's easy to believe the franchise gatekeepers wouldn't want to stray too far away from the comfort zone of those who bought previous God of War games.
Again, dismissing the changes the game actually made to the formula because reasons. If you want a whole new cast of characters, there are other IP's, like Horizon.

I’d like to see stuff set in Babylonian mythos, in Pacific Islander mythos, in North American indigenous mythos, that's not exploitative and dismissive.
Cool ideas, but don't have anything to do with your article about God of War. And based on the pattern, what you're asking for is whole new IP's.

Would God of War exist without [queer dating simulator] Dream Daddy, and would Dream Daddy exist without queer romance games like We Know the Devil?
False equivalence. You just said the game is based off Barlog's persona life journey, so it was gonna happen anyway. It tackles different topics entirely. Also, from what I gathered Dream Daddy isn't even a remotely serious game.

God of War, which is a true accomplishment of game design, certainly denotes easing forward on the gas pedal. But the whole industry needs to be sure that it’s not constantly staring into the rear view mirror.
...what? And how does your article prove it? You've been going off-topic nearly every two sentences.

Goddamn this article is a shit-show. Some people really wanna complain about everything. If they think the 'it's not good enough, it's never good enough' mentality is gonna encourage people, well get a fucking grip on how to properly stay on-topic and articulate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocelot

Learned

Max Edge

In first four games Kratos banged girls. In this he spends all his spare time which little boy. Progressive.
828.png

Big Wrangle

He likes to drown out any point he wants to make with shitty punchlines, part of why I got tired of his shtick.

zerodrone

Barely Literate
He complains about how areas in the game are inaccessible because of "the inevitable DLC".

The game director has said there will be no DLC, full stop. Never let facts get in the way of your snarky dismissal, I guess...

Kenny Garg

Barely Literate
I am thinking to purchase GoW but I would like to first know how is your experience after playing it?

Wolfe

Arbiter
I personally loved it, took me around 40 hours to platinum it. I think it's a vast improvement over the other games in the series, the story is well fleshed out and integrates the Norse myths with some interestings twists, the lore is presented in an awesome way. It features a great cast of characters with believable performances, there are some very moving/impressive moments. The main draw for me was the combat system, even by the end of the game I couldn't wait to hop into another fight and try out some new combos or abilities, and it's a shame that in the end you run out of fights because enemies don't respawn. It's really satisfying and quite challenging on the higher difficulties. Also, exploration is quite fun with areas being blocked off at the start until you acquire certain items, so there's a good sense of progression and discovery. I think it's one of those games that gets better and better as you progress through it. Graphics, sound - excellent. The performance is surprisingly good too, I played on Performance mode and going past 30 fps helps the gameplay a lot. Definitely recommend it, solid contender for GOTY.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Agree with everything. Game is fucking awesome.
I personally loved it, took me around 40 hours to platinum it. I think it's a vast improvement over the other games in the series, the story is well fleshed out and integrates the Norse myths with some interestings twists, the lore is presented in an awesome way. It features a great cast of characters with believable performances, there are some very moving/impressive moments. The main draw for me was the combat system, even by the end of the game I couldn't wait to hop into another fight and try out some new combos or abilities, and it's a shame that in the end you run out of fights because enemies don't respawn. It's really satisfying and quite challenging on the higher difficulties. Also, exploration is quite fun with areas being blocked off at the start until you acquire certain items, so there's a good sense of progression and discovery. I think it's one of those games that gets better and better as you progress through it. Graphics, sound - excellent. The performance is surprisingly good too, I played on Performance mode and going past 30 fps helps the gameplay a lot. Definitely recommend it, solid contender for GOTY.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Guys, if you didnt even play the game yourself yet, why do shitrate people who played and liked the game? I dont get it.

For me, i dont know yet if its GOTY material, but it is definitely a very solid actiongame.

Falksi

Arcane
Wolfe Kem0sabe Doktor Best , I've not played it yet, I'm trying to gauge how long I should wait before I do (either a year or two, or 5-6 years time when it's £5 max). So I'd be interested to hear about a few key points which caught my ear from Yahtzee.

See I loved the original GOW simply because it was balls to the wall, in your face, death & destruction. None of this sappy father bullshit, Kratos wanted to rape-pillage-kill with no thought to his actions. Now the new version of him comes off as a bit of a fanny, and the gameplay looks OK but not anywhere near as "epic" as the originals.

So am I way off base on this? What makes it so good?

See I much prefer meatier, less soft games. I hated the Last of Us, sneaking round boring as a fuck looking after some little slag. Should have just given her to the zombies, pulled out a boomstick & kicked arse. I also hated Horizon Zero Dawn - loads of nothingness & blandness with a few cool robots, yet loads lapped it up.

With GOW4 it seems both soft, and to also buy into all the modern tropes which I hate (open world junk, slower pacing etc.)

However, more than happy to listen to other POV's in the hope it makes me see some reasons to buy it earlier?

Wolfe

Arbiter
I think the game is well worth buying at full price, it feels like a complete package. I forgot to mention the things I don't like about it:

- there are very few "true" boss fights, only 5 or 6, and 2 out of those you'll fight multiple times, namely the trolls and valkyries. Granted, they're somewhat different in terms of abilities, and the few fights you get are both brutal and epic.

- it's quite low key in the same way GoW 1 was, you only get to fight some of the lesser gods, it feels like they've saved up the more awesome bits for the following games. Don't get me wrong, the story is self-contained and satisfying on its own, but it ends on a cliffhanger that makes you feel as if all of this was just a taster when compared with what's to come.

- the out-of-combat movement is restrictive in the sense that you can't jump and can only climb/descend by pressing circle in specific spots.

Now, in terms of the changes from the first games and the supposed "mellowing" of Kratos.. I don't really see it. He was a very one dimensional character back then and here it feels like he has grown a lot, in a believable way. The rage is still there, but he has learned to control it, you can see it in the way he executes enemies, it oozes of maximum efficiency and getting them out of his way in a both satisfying and quick way without giving into his anger and basking into the carnage.

The interactions with the kid are well written and do not feel forced. At least at the start of the game Kratos is very rough and abrupt with him, and the emotional moments you would expect from a game such as TLoU are few and feel earned and natural. I think the acting is very good, from subtleties such as Kratos calling Atreus by his name in dangerous situations instead of "boy" or the softening of his facial features when he is worried about him. Also, I like the lessons he teaches the boy, it's all manly stuff and appropriate.

In terms of the world, it's not really "open". It's not comparable to HZD at all, I wouldn't say it has filler content aside from the collectibles, but some of them are well integrated into the game and go deep into the Norse lore. For example you find several shrines depicting myths and one of the companions explains them during boat rides. It's so well done that I felt sad once I had found all of them and there were no more tales to be told. The side quests are fun. In terms of content quality and "meaningfulness", I think it's much better than HZD. And yes, it's a slower game than the previous ones pacing wise, but I didn't particularly mind, there's a good mix of frenetic battles and quiet exploration and story development.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm not finished yet but my thoughts so far are that it's a very good game but the gameplay cycle is very repetitive. You basically spend most of the game rowing around a big lake, hoping off at various shorelines, doing a bit of climbing/exploring, solving some simple puzzles, opening chests and killing some beasties. You can tear apart monsters once they're sufficiently weakened ala Nu-DOOM but there's only one animation for each monster type which gets a bit dull for the ones you encounter frequently - it's pretty dumb for instance that Kratos is always finishing off big trolls in exactly the same way (dropping a large obelisk they use as a club on their heads).

I haven't played the previous games but having seen some videos where Kratos is taking down impossibly large foes that fill the screen I was expecting more of the same here but I'm not getting that sense of epicness so far. There was one fight with a dragon but the fight was so gamey you never felt you were in real danger/in over your head like you can in Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

Presentation and voice acting are top notch, but my thoughts are that Uncharted 4 is probably still a better game because of the sheer variety of different locations/situations that Drake finds himself in and associated changes in gameplay. Here gameplay is more of the rinse and repeat variety.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I knew when The Last of Us was heralded as the best game ever that story games would takeover, but turning a hack and slash into whatever the hell this shit is just irks me. Forcing the Dad role on Kratos makes sense considering reviewers whined forever about Kratos being such a prick, but to me that is what made him great. Granted I stopped following this game once I learned what it was, so it might be hot shit for all I know, but I just can't listen to IGN, Polygon, Kotaku go on and on about how touching this transparent shit is.

This developer has only ever really made God of War looking at it since they team up with others for everything else.

They fucked up Twisted Metal twice also after the best entry in the series which was Twisted Metal Black.

Game developers/publishers/faceless corporate assholes:

Let's take that relationship from The Last of Us and make it a boy instead of a girl.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom