Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
In my country there are even shitstorms happening because a notorious site gave the game JUST 9, saying that the combat system is limited. Like the people in the comment section are storming it.

Mind going into a bit more detail?

Valtiel

Scholar
In my country there are even shitstorms happening because a notorious site gave the game JUST 9, saying that the combat system is limited. Like the people in the comment section are storming it.

Mind going into a bit more detail?

Not so much to tell, just this site (google: multiplayer) reviewed the game, gave it a 9 and said that it isn't a masterpiece, because you stick with one weapon for 10 hours, there's less epic content and the enemies type are few.
There are like 13 pages of comments, people are losing it over a 9.

Videogame confirmed to have the most ridicolous, hysteric and childish audience of media. Days like this I just hate the whole thing, I do not want to be associated with this world in public :negative:

Okagron

Prophet
Not so much to tell, just this site (google: multiplayer) reviewed the game, gave it a 9 and said that it isn't a masterpiece, because you stick with one weapon for 10 hours, there's less epic content and the enemies type are few.
There are like 13 pages of comments, people are losing it over a 9.

Videogame confirmed to have the most ridicolous, hysteric and childish audience of media. Days like this I just hate the whole thing, I do not want to be associated with this world in public :negative:
Now they are going to DDOS the site like a bunch of Zelda fans did with Jim Sterling when he gave Breath of the Wild a 7/10.

index.php

Arcane
331hbb9.jpg

Doktor Best

Arcane
I still dont get the butthurt. God of war has always been cinematic popamole mixed with simplistic but decent gameplay.

From what ive seen in game footage the character Kratos also didnt change as much as gamejournalist want it make to seem. Hes still some grumpy dude who tears off limbs of anyone who stands in his way. Sometimes he pats his kid on the back or yells at him and now hes supposed to be a nuanced emotional character?
Someone earlier made the point that games like these impact how other games in the genre will be. There aren't many Hack & slashers being released nowadays apart from Platinum's stuff & the new Darksiders. Regardless of what people think of God of War, it was the most popular series in this genre. This new game releasing in this manner and gaining such grand praise will impact how devs later will make their hack & slashers.
Personally, I doubt if the new Devil May Cry will be like this if it is really releasing this year and has actually been in development, same for Bayonetta.

Okay, i get that, but does the change of perspective really warrant such an outcry? Dark Siders in particular was one example of a game that showed that you can make a hack&slash with third person perspective.

I also would have preferred a more zoomed out perspective, but the rest looks good to be honest. Not a revelation but combat in God of War was never that.

That ACG review especially made me optimistic.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Also: brofist OP! We need more masterrace gameplayfags in the gaming audience:love:

I'll say this once more we need to ban all storyfags and anyone who would consider buying a XBone/PS4. It's bringing nothing but decline to this forum.

Looks like every other type of this game. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Last of Us, Ryse, etc. Combat and platforming that plays itself, emphasis on a story that constrains the player to a single path, "in-game cutscenes" which just mean you are unable to skip them and have large sections of walking slowly while listening to characters talk without any input, banal leveling and skill trees to give the illusion of complexity, and so on. Who gives a shit. Why do people get excited for this redundant garbage.

Because people enjoy fun mindless games sometimes and take a brake from highbrow experiences like PoE... :smug:

Except these mindless action games used to have challenge and were actually fun and overall good games. Now they definitevly aren't (well except maybe Platinum games I guess).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'll say this once more we need to ban all storyfags and anyone who would consider buying a XBone/PS4. It's bringing nothing but decline to this forum.

Except these mindless action games used to have challenge and were actually fun and overall good games. Now they definitevly aren't (well except maybe Platinum games I guess).
I don't play these action games for the challenge, I truly enjoyed the story and environment exploration / discovery in horizon, last of us, uncharted.

If God of War provides the same, I'm more than happy.

Ash

Arcane
Kem0sabe, please accept these blankets for you and your people as a peace offering. Give me your address I'll send them via mail.

:love:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm still not convinced by the reviews that having the camera so close in God of War is a good idea. How is constantly having to now use lock on and readjust the camera not going to become burdensome? Someone mentioned Godhand to me, but I don't see that many enemies on screen when I look at that game. Uncharted is weird in that the first game had an okay field of view when using the aim button. (The gunplay had other big problems, though.) With the sequels, they zoomed it way the hell in. I was so disappointed by it in my last hours with The Lost Legacy that I looked for an option in the pause menu. Of course, I didn't find one and didn't expect to find one.

sullynathan

Arcane
I still dont get the butthurt. God of war has always been cinematic popamole mixed with simplistic but decent gameplay.

From what ive seen in game footage the character Kratos also didnt change as much as gamejournalist want it make to seem. Hes still some grumpy dude who tears off limbs of anyone who stands in his way. Sometimes he pats his kid on the back or yells at him and now hes supposed to be a nuanced emotional character?
Someone earlier made the point that games like these impact how other games in the genre will be. There aren't many Hack & slashers being released nowadays apart from Platinum's stuff & the new Darksiders. Regardless of what people think of God of War, it was the most popular series in this genre. This new game releasing in this manner and gaining such grand praise will impact how devs later will make their hack & slashers.
Personally, I doubt if the new Devil May Cry will be like this if it is really releasing this year and has actually been in development, same for Bayonetta.

Okay, i get that, but does the change of perspective really warrant such an outcry? Dark Siders in particular was one example of a game that showed that you can make a hack&slash with third person perspective.

I also would have preferred a more zoomed out perspective, but the rest looks good to be honest. Not a revelation but combat in God of War was never that.

Darksiders has the exact same combat as the older god of war games mixed with Zelda, it's not similar to this new game. The outcry isn't that loud but it would be preferable if every reviewer didn't suck this games dick.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

ACG is a cuck, he gives a superficial review of games while masqurading as if it's a deep analysis of the game and it's systems. Just cause a review is more than 5min long does not mean it is good. I also have a suspicion if he really finishes or bother playing properly the games he reviews, his reviews usually are out too fast.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reviewers LOVE the New God of War Game

gowheader.jpg

gow1.png

"God of War is more than a graphical showcase. It is more than its awe-inspiring button mapping. It is more than even its breathtaking rock textures. God of War is the realization of our collective hopes and dreams, not just as gamers, but as gamer-citizens.

If you pay close attention you'll notice that the camera never cuts. The entire experience is a single take, a remarkable achievement. What a wonderful nod to Dungeon Siege."

gow2.png

"Mark my words: There will never be a better video game than God of War.

No matter what may come, no matter how many technical and creative hills this industry may crest to look out upon fruitful fields of infinite possibilities beyond, no video game will be better than God of War. It is simply perfection.

You can kill guys and be a father."

gow3.jpg

"Video games finally have their Citizen Kane, and it is the seventh God of War. This is a transcendent experience that makes me weep for what might have been, had Orson Welles been given the opportunity to flesh out the Citizen Kane franchise with five mediocre sequels before creating a transcendent Citizen Kane 7.

It will blow you away."

gow4.png

"This game has changed the course of my life. Nothing will ever be the same. I am honored, humbled, to have played it.

It was very good, which makes it spectacular. I expected the game to be good but it was very good and sometimes great. The parts I expected to be bad or terrible were actually good and sometimes fantastic. The story was very good and so was everything else. The gameplay felt solid AND spectacular. Satisfying, too. Wow!

I could describe every part of the game with a positive adjective. Amazing. Visceral. Stunning. God of War is a bold, thrilling, confident vision of stunning visceral spectacular."

gow5.png

"I wept. Tears of joy, tears of amazement. Tears from simply being overwhelmed by the majesty of it all. And then I opened the game's case and put the disc in my PS4.

People will always remember their first kiss. They will always remember the first time they touched a boob, or a controller that felt as good as a boob. I will always remember the first time I played the new God of War.

This game invalidates all previous installments of the God of War franchise. More than that, it renders all previous video games worthless. They're fucking trash. I am beyond angry that I wasted my time on any of them. I'M LIVID.

ALL THIS TIME WASTED GOD"

gow6.png

(utter gibberish, the writer trying to type as their body trembles and twitches in an hours-long orgasm)

Kitchen Utensil

The hyperbole is so retarded, Jesus Christ.
There's not a single authentic gamer left in gaming journalism apparently.

And people fall for it.

I'm still not convinced by the reviews that having the camera so close in God of War is a good idea.

That's because it isn't. Off-center super-zoomed-in camera with a fov of 50 doesn't allow good gameplay. It's one of the most obvious signs to stay away from a game.

Ash

Arcane
Be aware the above journo roundup I'm pretty sure is satirical. But the fact anyone can barely tell upon first glace says everything.

Okagron

Prophet
That review roundup above actually fooled me for a little bit, that i had to actually go to IGN to see their review. Their actual review might as well be the same as the one above because it basically treats this game as the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Ash

Arcane
It literally is a Last of Us formula clone, as Cross said.

Who would have thought back in 1999 that this would be the future of gaming? Graphics whores, storyfags, misguided realism seekers, as well as plain sellout money grubbing devs ruined everything.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

ACG is a cuck, he gives a superficial review of games while masqurading as if it's a deep analysis of the game and it's systems.

Most importantly - his taste is crushingly mainstream. He's a food critic gushing over a well made hamburger and making faces when eating something perhaps not flawless, but new and exciting and full of great potential. Most gamers love him tho because most gamers are retarded tasteless sheeple too.

The mainstream journo reaction to this dumb hack'n'slash romp is hilarious btw. Citizen Kane lol....it's always something idiotic - either some pretentious fartsy BS like Dear Esther or some flawlessly executed fastfood like God of War.

Falksi

Arcane
The above roundup is clearly fake. None of those shit gaming journos would publish anything half as downbeat as the quotes above.

Big Wrangle

Speaking of which, are there some good satirical game review sites out there?

Shinji

Savant
So, they first ruined Lara Croft, now Kratos (and let's not forget Dante)

Who's next, Duke Nukem?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom