Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis Remastered

JDR13

Arcane
ArcaniA is better than Gothic. Hey I like this game!

Lunac

Arcane
Current gen console remaster? Wait, current gen consoles are Jaguar based, as in Jaguar based AM1 platform Semprons. Sure, we are talking specialized and highly tuned Semprons, but still Semprons with a IPC heritage of a potato and platform originally geared towards ultra-low-power budget builds that got dual-purposed-out for then "next-gen" consoles. A Q6600 CPU from the Crysis-1 era of mid-late 2000s annihilates a AM1/Jaguar based... anything. No way this won't be a downgrade in... all the ways.

Also, slightly off topic, trying to recall, but what the hell was the story line of Crysis 2? (Getting mid-way through Crysis 2 is as far as I got into Crysis franchise before dropping it all never to look back). Aliens nuke NY? Then zombie suit/AI infestation? Corporate forces... Hargrove... no seriously, has anyone EVER summarized the plot to that shitshow of a game?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Also, slightly off topic, trying to recall, but what the hell was the story line of Crysis 2? (Getting mid-way through Crysis 2 is as far as I got into Crysis franchise before dropping it all never to look back). Aliens nuke NY? Then zombie suit/AI infestation? Corporate forces... Hargrove... no seriously, has anyone EVER summarized the plot to that shitshow of a game?

The story of Crysis 2 barely relates to the first one and makes little sense. I assume because they switched to console focus they didn't expect people to have played the first.

Gerrard

Arcane
Apparently the link between the two was in a novel.

Imagine buying a Crysis novel, because the story in the first game was so good, right?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Apparently the link between the two was in a novel.

Imagine buying a Crysis novel, because the story in the first game was so good, right?
Well it is written by Peter Watts. May be worth a read. I played about 1 hour of Crysis 2 before stopping in disgust at how consolized the gameplay had become, but the basic premise of the nanosuit becoming a sort of parasitic organism seemed interesting.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Full Crysis 2 story leaked!!!

Backstory

As seen in the first game, aliens start awakening in the earth where they have been sleeping for millions of years. One alien mothership happens to be under New York (the most famous city in the world, what are the fucking odds).

In New York there's a company called Crynet that is owned by Jacob Hargreave. He is pretty much Mr. House, an ancient dude kept alive by technology. He stole tech from the aliens a hundred years ago to extend his life and to build the nanosuit, which is essentially an alien supercomputer that fuses with the human body. Crynet is a military contractor and Prophet (your superior officer in the first game) worked with him to combat the alien threat until he quit because Hargreave is kind of an asshole.

The aliens release a plague called the Manhattan Virus that melts people down. Crynet's mercenary arm called C.E.L.L. gets hired by the Government to lock down Manhattan and contain the threat (they obviously fail). C.E.L.L. is kinda evil and they take control of the company from Hargreave for some reason I can't remember. Prophet fights both the aliens and H.E.L.L. but is infected with the virus. A squad of US Marines is called in to help Prophet.

Game storyline

You play as Alcatraz, a silent generic US Marine because Crytek wanted the Call of Duty audience. Seriously, just look at the "tactical map" loading screens with full voice acting and the way every map starts with your location and local time being written out on the screen. Tell me that wasn't ripped straight out of Call of Duty. Anyway, you get fatally injured in an alien attack before being rescued by Prophet. He puts you in his nanosuit since he's dying, and kills himself to let the suit fuse with its new host.

You start fighting C.E.L.L.O. as well as the aliens, and are contacted mid-slaughter by Hargreave. You decide to basically do everything he tells you to since you're a mute, 1 INT brute. There's plenty of QTE's. You also get infected by the virus, but by this time the nanosuit has started working on a cure. You pollute an alien virus-releasing spire (think 5G antennas that spread Coronavirus) with your cure and murderize all aliens in the block. The plan is to get you to the mothership and repeat the process at the virus source to blanket the whole city with the cure.

You're smoking a fat blunt when Hargreave calls you to his private residence. Expecting sex, you are jumped and strapped to an operating table. Hargreave doesn't trust anyone but himself to do the job and wants to cut the suit off of you (fatal since the suit is the only thing keeping you alive) and put himself in it. Your suit is powered down, but a secret backup program starts up, revealing that Prophet's "consciousness" lives on in the suit - the suit essentially mapped his brain and made a copy of it. The suit voice you've been hearing all game was Prophet's voice actor all along. What a twist!

You are rescued by the only female in the entire game and the residence is breached by the aliens. Hargreave gives you the "secret sauce" that you inject yourself with, it makes the cure stronger or whatever the fuck. Hargreave makes you swear to "not fuck it up" before blowing himself up with his compound and taking out some aliens.

By this time you're tired of reading this nonsense, and the US Government is tired of the situation. They plan to nuke New York, so you have to hurry to the mothership and release the cure. You hurry to the mothership and release the cure. New York is cleansed of aliens as one of Hans Zimmer's ~3 tracks play (it's ridiculous how game companies hire famous composers to make them a track or two, and then media and players all believe they composed the whole soundtrack). However the virus apparently kills you in the process, and the Prophet AI takes over the suit. That's what you play as in Crysis 3 - Alcatraz' corpse inside Prophet's nanosuit, controlled by the Prophet AI stored in the suit.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I never thought there could be a more pointless remaster than the Dark Souls remaster.
I was wrong.

Gerrard

Arcane
I never thought there could be a more pointless remaster than the Dark Souls remaster.
Yeah, because Dark Souls didn't look like a 5 year old game even at the time of release.

It was a 6-issue comic book.
https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2010/12/peter-watts-renews-ties-with-crysis.html
Canadian SF author Peter Watts, best-known for the much-nominated Blindsight, has written a Crysis tie-in novel. The book, Crysis: Legion, sets up and adapts the plot of the forthcoming game Crysis 2.
Peter Watts said... Actually, I had nothing to do with the original Crysis. I still haven't even played the thing.

Duralux for Durabux

I may be an idiot but the remaster might worth a look with a price around 1-10 bucks.

Lunac

Arcane
Full Crysis 2 story leaked!!!

Backstory

As seen in the first game, aliens start awakening in the earth where they have been sleeping for millions of years. One alien mothership happens to be under New York (the most famous city in the world, what are the fucking odds).

In New York there's a company called Crynet that is owned by Jacob Hargreave. He is pretty much Mr. House, an ancient dude kept alive by technology. He stole tech from the aliens a hundred years ago to extend his life and to build the nanosuit, which is essentially an alien supercomputer that fuses with the human body. Crynet is a military contractor and Prophet (your superior officer in the first game) worked with him to combat the alien threat until he quit because Hargreave is kind of an asshole.

The aliens release a plague called the Manhattan Virus that melts people down. Crynet's mercenary arm called C.E.L.L. gets hired by the Government to lock down Manhattan and contain the threat (they obviously fail). C.E.L.L. is kinda evil and they take control of the company from Hargreave for some reason I can't remember. Prophet fights both the aliens and H.E.L.L. but is infected with the virus. A squad of US Marines is called in to help Prophet.

Game storyline

You play as Alcatraz, a silent generic US Marine because Crytek wanted the Call of Duty audience. Seriously, just look at the "tactical map" loading screens with full voice acting and the way every map starts with your location and local time being written out on the screen. Tell me that wasn't ripped straight out of Call of Duty. Anyway, you get fatally injured in an alien attack before being rescued by Prophet. He puts you in his nanosuit since he's dying, and kills himself to let the suit fuse with its new host.

You start fighting C.E.L.L.O. as well as the aliens, and are contacted mid-slaughter by Hargreave. You decide to basically do everything he tells you to since you're a mute, 1 INT brute. There's plenty of QTE's. You also get infected by the virus, but by this time the nanosuit has started working on a cure. You pollute an alien virus-releasing spire (think 5G antennas that spread Coronavirus) with your cure and murderize all aliens in the block. The plan is to get you to the mothership and repeat the process at the virus source to blanket the whole city with the cure.

You're smoking a fat blunt when Hargreave calls you to his private residence. Expecting sex, you are jumped and strapped to an operating table. Hargreave doesn't trust anyone but himself to do the job and wants to cut the suit off of you (fatal since the suit is the only thing keeping you alive) and put himself in it. Your suit is powered down, but a secret backup program starts up, revealing that Prophet's "consciousness" lives on in the suit - the suit essentially mapped his brain and made a copy of it. The suit voice you've been hearing all game was Prophet's voice actor all along. What a twist!

You are rescued by the only female in the entire game and the residence is breached by the aliens. Hargreave gives you the "secret sauce" that you inject yourself with, it makes the cure stronger or whatever the fuck. Hargreave makes you swear to "not fuck it up" before blowing himself up with his compound and taking out some aliens.

By this time you're tired of reading this nonsense, and the US Government is tired of the situation. They plan to nuke New York, so you have to hurry to the mothership and release the cure. You hurry to the mothership and release the cure. New York is cleansed of aliens as one of Hans Zimmer's ~3 tracks play (it's ridiculous how game companies hire famous composers to make them a track or two, and then media and players all believe they composed the whole soundtrack). However the virus apparently kills you in the process, and the Prophet AI takes over the suit. That's what you play as in Crysis 3 - Alcatraz' corpse inside Prophet's nanosuit, controlled by the Prophet AI stored in the suit.

Christ! From all that, I don't think I got half way through the game. Maybe 10% then. I do remember a part where I got tired of cinematic blow-shit-up stuffs and tried AND successfully traversed an entire "level" in cloak, passing by dozens of enemies, to arrive at the "quest marker" destination (a computer terminal) only to realize that I had to decloak and trigger a firefight with the guards (which I could have easily kept evading) in order to trigger a scripted event and keep the "storyline" flowing. I remember completing the objective (downloading something from said computer terminal) and waiting.... waiting... then realizing, "Oh, it wants me to trigger a firefight? Why?! I can sneak out!". On rails baby! On. Fucken. Rails.

JDR13

Arcane
Crysis 2 was major decline without a doubt. I managed to finish it, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it much.

I didn't play very far into Crysis 3 because it didn't seem much better from what I can recall. How does it compare to the other games? Is the level design as linear as Crysis 2?

Duralux for Durabux

Crysis 2 was major decline without a doubt. I managed to finish it, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it much.

I didn't play very far into Crysis 3 because it didn't seem much better from what I can recall. How does it compare to the other games? Is the level design as linear as Crysis 2?
It is worse than the other games. As for the level design, well it is more open than crysis 2 but don't expect an Open-world.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Christ! From all that, I don't think I got half way through the game. Maybe 10% then. I do remember a part where I got tired of cinematic blow-shit-up stuffs and tried AND successfully traversed an entire "level" in cloak, passing by dozens of enemies, to arrive at the "quest marker" destination (a computer terminal) only to realize that I had to decloak and trigger a firefight with the guards (which I could have easily kept evading) in order to trigger a scripted event and keep the "storyline" flowing. I remember completing the objective (downloading something from said computer terminal) and waiting.... waiting... then realizing, "Oh, it wants me to trigger a firefight? Why?! I can sneak out!". On rails baby! On. Fucken. Rails.

Yeah, that's Crysis 2 all right. There are several instances in the game where the player may be in cloak when entering a trigger, only to start a cutscene where the player's cloak suddenly disappears and you have to watch your automaton of a player character walk into a CINEMATIC AMBUSH outside the player's control.

At the end of the game there's a similar trigger that starts a cutscene, where the player is frozen in place and a group of Predator-like aliens spawn in front of the player, starting the final fight. However that cutscene doesn't disable the player's cloak, so if the player walked into the trigger while cloaked, the aliens will just idle passively and after the cutscene, the player can just sneak up on them and backstab them while they patiently stand in place.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
walk into a CINEMATIC AMBUSH
lmVxDJG.png

Putting what those games do into words really make you feel like you enter the fourth dimension.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Crysis is not a great game or a great benchmark
The latter was pretty much the only thing it was good for.
Crysis might be the only tech demo that has actually got a bit better with time. It's one of the last shooters that actually fet like a PC game through and through. I could even forgive the regenerating health since the game did its best to encourage more interesting tactics than sitting behind a box. The story might be the least interesting thing ever unleashed upon mankind, and the final third isn't much to tell home about except for some nice visuals, but it was fun for a few hours.

It's probably the last game that needs a remaster, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom