Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline So apparently Gearbox is making an FPS-MOBA - Battleborn

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Why do people keep thinking they can get away with charging AAA price for those games?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Looks like Overwatch killed this,it had no buzz whatsoever before its release and now everyone was too busy with the Overwatch beta to care.It will be 50% off during the summer sale most likely,I was thinking of getting it when it was cheap enough but there wont be anyone to play this online with by then.
Btw why is this the 8th and 9th best selling game on steam at the same time? :?

Gerrard

Arcane
Owners: 80,382 ± 6,820
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 7,434

Breaking the bank here.

Severian Silk

I feel miffed at Gearbox because they promised a lot about extending the modding capabilities of Homeworld Remasterd. Problem is, it's almost all visual bling. Scripting remains mostly unchanged and in a few cases a step back since Homeworld 2.

abija

Prophet
They probably should have spent AAA budgets on marketing too. Been bombarded with OW shill articles while I think I only saw one from eurogamer for this. Hell even Cliffy's game had more attention and is probably not even alpha.

When you are a relatively small studio, debuting in MP gaming, maybe make an extra step to show you are all in, not gonna switch to next game in couple of months.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You have to admire the courage of Gearbox. They have one of the most popular franchises in gaming, with little competition and fans begging for more. So what to you do? Instead of making a sequel that you know will sell millions you decide to make a game thats part of already saturated market and you have this small company called Blizzard being your direct competitor. What could possibly go wrong.

abija

Prophet
You have to admire the courage of Gearbox. They have one of the most popular franchises in gaming, with little competition and fans begging for more. So what to you do? Instead of making a sequel that you know will sell millions you decide to make a game thats part of already saturated market and you have this small company called Blizzard being your direct competitor. What could possibly go wrong.
Smite (Hi-Rez) and Paragon (Epic) are the competition.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I just noticed that the game is on a 40% sale on steam just 20 days after its release and it's not even on the top 10 sellers...
This thing bombed really hard
:dead:

I assume it will be in a humble bundle by the end of the year

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
CjYdO2zUkAAhGb6.jpg

Cjj0K5MWsAANnaY.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bet they knew this was going to fail no matter what they did so they just pushed it out to die.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Even so it might have done better if they waited and released it a couple of months after Overwatch,I think it might have sold better that way

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Overwatch is more popular because it's pick up and play and highly casual (don't lose ultimate charge on death, simple maps, etc.). Battleborn is like a grindy ARPG/MOBA hybrid. Anyway, I don't get their thinking -- just stick to the IP that's already made you a fortune (Borderlands).

Borderlands 2 - 8,800 peak players.

Battleborn - 3,600 peak players.

EVGA Precision X16 - 3,200 peak 'players

Last edited:
Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
Battleyawn has the most hipster antigame pure shit trailer I have ever seen :lol:

How on earth is gearbox still in business when they make so much retarded crap? Hopefully this will change soon.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Gearbox really half assed this thing, the graphix look like shite Unity level shite, the single player is pretty crappy with linear Destiny styled "levels" with enemies that are boring to fight and boring to shoot, the multiplayer is a mess of shit all over the screen and the level design is non-existant, not an unexpected behavior from the Aliens Colonial Marines company.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Looks like Battleborn ($60 game with $20 "Season Pass") is finally getting some microtransaction love:

Battleborn is getting microtransactions this week

By Tom Sykes a day ago
For cosmetic items: premium taunts and skins

01khcu3.jpg

Gearbox has spoken previously about its plans to add microtransactions to Battleborn, and those plans come into fruition (well, partly) tomorrow, with an update that introduces the game's premium currency, Platinum.

From June 16, platinum can be used to purchase premium skins and taunts, though Gearbox is considering expanding this down the line to let you buy bank spaces, loadouts, or to boost your XP and credit earnings in ways that "do not affect actual gameplay". In comparison to Overwatch's mystery crate purchases, this doesn't seem too bad, given that you can buy these cosmetic items directly—although you will have to purchase Gearbox's Itchy-and-Scratchy-money in fixed 'Platinum Packs' to be able to pay for stuff.

Here's the exchange rate:

$1.99 for 230 Platinum

$4.99 for 700 Platinum

$9.99 for 1625 Platinum

$19.99 for 3500 Platinum

$49.99 for 9300 Platinum

A taunt will set you back 230 platinum, while a skin will cost 430. You can use the Steam wallet to fork out for Platinum Packs.

Gearbox includes a reminder at the end of the update post, that I think is worth reiterating.

"And remember: as we’ve said all along, we’re stuffing Battleborn with lots of free content across the board – five new, free heroes, competitive multiplayer maps, modes, and updates. Keep an eye out over the next several months as we have lots more content coming down the pipeline for those who own Battleborn."
:happytrollboy:

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Probably getting the Tribes Ascend treatment: milk the small playerbase as much as they can while working on a new product.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I guess how they thought this garbage would sell? The art style is awful, it looks like an Unity game, there is so much colourful effects on the screen that you barely know what is happening and the "single player" is pathetic. Anyway, you can't expect better from Lazybox.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom