Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline So apparently Gearbox is making an FPS-MOBA - Battleborn

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Borderlands is the only thing that Gearbox is somewhat competant at anyway. Not that it's good. BL2 was a lolrandumb grind, and the Pre-sequel has even worse writing. If you want to play a game that makes you root for the psychopathic villain, play Borderlands 2 and Pre-sequel, because the so called heroes are just that insufferable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep, apparently 90% of the studio is working on Borderplands 3 now. Fortunately the writing is being done by the guy who did Borderlands 1 and not Anthony Burch. Game will benefit if they cut out all the shitty meme humor and make it moderately serious environment.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Borderlands pretty much died after the first one thanks to a completely broken loot/weapon manufacturer system.
Any new borderlands game is probably gonna gate any good/unique weapons behind a pay wall like they did with golden chest/shift keys in 2 and tps.
Also you can expect the game to have gritty modern graphics because the ceo said the graphics were the biggest thing holding the series back which is wrong on so many levels.
As for writing,well it is gonna suck regardless because it is the current year and that means good writing is dead.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yep, apparently 90% of the studio is working on Borderplands 3 now. Fortunately the writing is being done by the guy who did Borderlands 1 and not Anthony Burch. Game will benefit if they cut out all the shitty meme humor and make it moderately serious environment.

That is really good. My interest has been Piqued, as I preferred the more subdued humor and writing in BL1 to BL2. I mean, its not Tolstoy, but its palatable.
Borderlands 2 is basically the plot to the Knoxx DLC for BL1, except worse in terms of writing and character.
The main villain taunting you over the com? Knoxx did it. Hunted by a corporation's paramility force as outlaws? Knoxx did it. Prison segment? Knoxx did it. Meet Moxxi face to face, and she helps you against the main villains? Knoxx did it.
There is nothing original in BL2. Its just general knoxx with 100% more memes and loud nonsense.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am curious to see if people will buy Borderlands 3.The marked is oversaturated at best,gearbox have pretty shit reputation and Randy is a moron.Still it could sell well.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wonder how successful BL3 will be now that Destiny has taken their cake

Well its not like the two games are getting released in a same year and Destiny 2 is shaping up to be a shitty game, so I doubt it will have any influence on the sales.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Borderlands pretty much died after the first one thanks to a completely broken loot/weapon manufacturer system.
Any new borderlands game is probably gonna gate any good/unique weapons behind a pay wall like they did with golden chest/shift keys in 2 and tps.
Golden keys were behind a paywall? Did you even play BL2? They gave out the keys on Twitter and shit via codes. There's probably still around 100 keys worth of codes still active you can plug into the game. Never mind you can simply edit the files to give yourself 999 keys if you wanted.

Gerrard

Arcane
It's in many aspects worse than the first one so I don't see how that can be possible.

sullynathan

Arcane

Well its not like the two games are getting released in a same year and Destiny 2 is shaping up to be a shitty game, so I doubt it will have any influence on the sales.
Destiny 2 is much better received than it's predecessor and Borderlands hasn't had a new game in forever, no one remembers it .

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Destiny 2 is much better received than it's predecessor and Borderlands hasn't had a new game in forever, no one remembers it .

Again, Destiny 2 is released this year and Borderlands 3 in year or two, enough time for people to get bored with Destiny 2 and and jump on something new like Borderlands 3.

Not to mention that Borderlands 2 still today average 10k players on Steam which are big numbers for a old game, especially one thats sp/co-op oriented and not competitive multiplayer while also without modding support.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Again, Destiny 2 is released this year and Borderlands 3 in year or two, enough time for people to get bored with Destiny 2 and and jump on something new like Borderlands 3.

Not to mention that Borderlands 2 still today average 10k players on Steam which are big numbers for a old game, especially one thats sp/co-op oriented and not competitive multiplayer while also without modding support.
Yeah but in year or two there will be other games in the genre.Good example is Anthem.Still the game could do pretty well as long as they don't fuck up the marketing.Big turn off will be if there is microtransactions.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Yeah but in year or two there will be other games in the genre.Good example is Anthem.Still the game could do pretty well as long as they don't fuck up the marketing.Big turn off will be if there is microtransactions.

I doubt that Anthem or any other similar game will take a major piece of sales of B3. As you say only way for the game to be a flop is if they ruin it themselves.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I doubt that Anthem or any other similar game will take a major piece of sales of B3. As you say only way for the game to be a flop is if they ruin it themselves.
Lets be honest mate,they will fuck it up for sure.Still that doesn't mean that it will flop.

mbv123

Arbiter
I could never understand the Borderlands hype. Everything about it, starting from art design to gameplay to RNG loot system is bland, uninspired and in fact boring as shit.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I could never understand the Borderlands hype. Everything about it, starting from art design to gameplay to RNG loot system is bland, uninspired and in fact boring as shit.

It's certainly overrated, but it does have its charm. Its a nice little mindless shooter to pass the time, and back in BL you had some pretty extravagant death animations.
Still, I've always maintained that Bulletstorm did what borderlands was trying to do better, except without the baggage of being designed mostly around co-op.

GrainWetski

Arcane

It's certainly overrated, but it does have its charm. Its a nice little mindless shooter to pass the time, and back in BL you had some pretty extravagant death animations.
Still, I've always maintained that Bulletstorm did what borderlands was trying to do better, except without the baggage of being designed mostly around co-op.
If Borderlands tried to be a linear FPS without loot/levelling and with somehow even worse "humour", Gearbox certainly missed the mark entirely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom