Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

So... are you poligameous or monogameous?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by DavidBVal, Feb 14, 2019.

1. DavidBVal 4 Dimension Games Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Can you split equal love between different games simultaneously? Or do you play one game compulsively until it's complete, and then move to the next one?

In my case, when I play an RPG I find a very hard time switching to another, even if it's a much better game than I'm looking forward to. If anything, it makes me try harder to finish the current game faster, to "get it out of the way"; this is a rather unsatisfying feeling.

Actually, it's not just with other games; when I'm engrossed about a good game I seriously reduce my time reading books or with other leisure activities; that's why I limit the number of games I play to maybe one every few months. Fortunately, the industry has come to my rescue and mostly produces mediocre games nowadays, that don't absorb me like the old ones.

So how is it for you?

• Creative x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Fluent Arcane Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    One at a time, savoring it the whole way.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    I usually play multiple games until one grabs me and I forget about the other ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Multiple at the same time, continuously

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dodo1610 Learned

Dodo1610
    Usually mulitple games at the same time, but there were a few games that were so good that I stopped playing everything else and played only one game until it was finished.
    For Exmple Elex, both Trails of Steel games, Pathfinder Kingmaker or Nier Automata.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    I have one serious game (playing it through, very likely an RPG, enjoying everything about it, paying attention to all the things it has) but I have sidechick games too (less serious, typically not an RPG but is easy to jump in and jump out of, usually is multiplayer, tends to usually be fighting games for me).

But if I were to try and juggle, say, Kingmaker and KCD? Nah, can't do it. I can only give that energy to one of them and since they play very differently despite both being RPGs that makes the transition from going between the two constantly more jarring. If it's something like fighting games though, I can play multiple of them since many fighting games carry your base fundamental understandings over to them.

Even after I complete an RPG, I need to take like a two week break to let it settle in my brain and then I can move on to another one.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  7. hoothoot Learned Patron

hoothoot
    got some main games return to pretty often: battlebrothers, warcraft III, garrys mod. otherwise my friends will rope me into some game or i will try something on steam sale [that my comp will run lol]

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. HarveyBirdman Learned

HarveyBirdman
    If I actually like the game, then I don't want to play anything else. If I'm mixing it up, then that means the game is only a serviceable distraction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. moon knight Matt7895's alt

moon knight
    No, if switch from one game to another, then I find really hard to come back to the first game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. frajaq Learned

frajaq
    Constantly change from game to game never liking any, but still review and shit-talk them like I played them entirely

• Edgy x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I used to stick to one, maybe sometimes two games at once when I was younger. As I've grown older, I find that I can return to a game I've let rest for awhile without any difficulty remember what is going on, what my objective might be, or how the mechanics work. As a result, I find myself following my whims more often. It works better for me than forcing myself through a game I've been playing for a long time that has grown somewhat stale for me. Since I've started doing this, I'll usually let a game that I've over-exposed myself to rest for a week, month, or even sometimes longer, then come back to it refreshed and finding myself enjoying maybe even more than I did initially.

Also, I tend to not double-dip on genres. The games have to be somewhat distinct from one another in the way they play, so I usually end up with a big CRPG, an action rpg, a JRPG, a straight action game, and a strategy game all going at once.

That being said, I usually still don't let myself go above 5-6 serious playthroughs at once.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Mebrilia Scholar

Mebrilia
    Poli for me

• Yes Yes x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    I used to stick to two, maybe sometimes three games at once when I was younger. Since the last decade I just concentrate on one at a time. Fallout New Vegas take me a whole year and nothing else, for example. Same with Prince of Qin, or lately Icewind Dale2.

It's a matter of finding games that strike my long time interest. Which is not easy nowadays.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Mongoose different games wut?

[​IMG]

• Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    I haven't played a video games in fifteen years

This kind of post used to be funny but now I have fucking diarrhea

• quality shit x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. SionIV Erudite Patron

SionIV
    I focus on one SINGLE PLAYER game at a time, and then I may have an MMO on the side.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Latro Arcane

Latro
    one at a time, i got other things to do and if i try to play more than one i'll end up dropping them all

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ManaJunkie Educated

ManaJunkie
    A new one (1996 till today) and a classic (dos or older, mostly blobbers) at the same time.
    Either i drop it pretty fast (shitty ones) or i finish it.

• nice nice x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. MpuMngwana Educated

MpuMngwana
    Multiple, but not in the same (sub)genre and, ideally, of varying difficulty, so I have something to play regardless of my mood, and so I can switch to something more casual if I get exhausted by a more demanding game.

^ Top  
  20. DavidBVal 4 Dimension Games Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I'm surprised to see so many people playing multiple games at the same time, I assumed most people would be fanatically focused on one like I do.

So, contrary to popular belief, there *CAN* be two skies?

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. InD_ImaginE Cipher

InD_ImaginE
    One main dish and another 1 or 2 side dish, I guess?

Usually, I finish a big game, RPG or not, while playing smaller scope game like roguelikes or some platformer on the side just to not get burned out playing something same for a long period of time.

^ Top  
  22. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I only play one game at a time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Darth Canoli Scholar

Darth Canoli
    Same as everything else, if the game is amazing, i'll focus on it, if not or even if some parts are boring, i'd switch.

Amazing games are scarce, though ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Swigen Learned

Swigen
    Poli, much to my detriment. I play way to much at the same time so the only games I end up actually finishing are ones that pretty much beat themselves... Far Cry 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 2... Meanwhile I have like 30/40/50 hours on Shin Megami Tensei 4, ELEX, Persona 5, Fallout: New Vegas, ATOM, Divinity, Path of Exile, etc... Just too many games to play.

^ Top  
  25. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    I try to remain monogameous, but there's just too much temptation

• Funny x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)