Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, how do we rate D:OS 2?

How do we rate D:OS 2?

• Excellent - one of the best RPG's in a long while, no flaws, 10/10

Votes: 42 18.4%
  • Good - an above average experience with few flaws, though there are some

Votes: 104 45.6%
  • Even - it's a middling game that doesn't excell at anything, but isn't bad at anything either

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Uneven - It's an uneven game that does certain things very well, others terribly

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Bad - it may have a few good ideas, but mostly it's not that good

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Terrible - everything about it sucks

Votes: 14 6.1%

• Total voters

Doktor Best

Arcane
Voted excellent. Yes, it has flaws, but that doesnt keep it from being one of the best rpgs of all time.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I voted even, because even though it does have a great challenge level and combat system balanced around tactician, the content is not that interesting to me, the chargen and chardev are not very good, and the spinning camera and pixel hunting nonsense is dumb. I don't know the best way to get away with stealing and the best way I found has been to port away or run away when they start looking, but that's pretty neat. But neat gimmicks can't carry a game. I think everything was improved from DOS 1 except the content and stupid camera spinning necessity.

I can't think of a game I'd give 100 to. All my favorites are about 80 in my head. A great game is between 60 and 80. This game is a 50 to me - really good but not good enough to sink its hooks into me and make me want to call into work to play. I give most of the console games the retards on this site love a -100 for comparison. There is only one RTwP game I can think of I'd rate above it, and that is Tyranny.

Since I will play this again for certain, and am waiting for some appealing mod made a long time from now that really gets me excited about chardev and chardev possibilities, this game could go up much higher. I didn't really get into Tyranny the first time I played it, but it hooked me my second attempt and I also rate the chardev in that game subpar. The combat in DOS 2 is clearly far, far superior to that in Tyranny but Tyranny definitely had good content.

The greatest improvement from DOS 1 to 2 is the portraits for male humans. This may be the first Larian game that has decent portraits for males where they can look like a normal non-pussy that isn't a long haired hippy goth emo.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Will let you know when I've finished two months from now.

The thing I love most about OS 1 and 2, and what I hope will be its lasting legacy in the minds of future RPG devs, is that it puts the core systems first and shows that they're allowed to be good. There have been many, many RPGs where the combat was boring, bad, half-broken, or had little interactivity besides minmaxing correctly at character creation. Instead of playing the game for the game, we were "meant" to play for the things which should be secondary window dressing- companions, romances, story, C&C, the writing, whatever. What's really impressive about OS2 is that if all of those secondary things were stripped away, and the game was nothing but a turn-based squad tactics game like nu-XCOM, OS2 would still be by far the better game, even though nu-XCOM is a AAA release that focuses on nothing but the combat.
Usually passable combat in an RPG is the best one can hope for, but for combat to be a standout feature? That's rarer than a talking squirrel. In real life I mean. In the actual game talking squirrels aren't rare at all.

Murk

Arcane
P. Good but not 10/10, more like 9/11 because of some suspicious design choices that warrant further investigation.

The confusing part isn't new shit they did that didn't turn out great but that they removed previously working stuff.

PrettyDeadman

I voted even on condition that most other rpgs should ne rated even lower (or not even an rpg).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I voted good, as I think the good outweighs the negative generally.

I'm sure some of the more annoying mechanics can be fixed by mods.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

DOS2 is the living definition of "regression to the mean."

It improves in some areas where DOS1 fell flat (theme-park worldbuilding, dopey writing, one-dimensional character-building) while taking great strides backwards in areas where it excelled (combat, mostly). It's not bad mind, just play-it-safe goon-friendly predictable, but if this is GOTY material the industry is in sorry shape. Voted "uneven" because it's still bad in the major ways DOS1 was bad (e.g. level-locked loot).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's really good, but it has numerous minor flaws that stops it from being truly excellent, and a small number of gargantuan flaws that ruin the experience and stops the greatest aspects of the game from shining through.

7/10

If the rest of the game was up to the same standards as Reaper's Eye then D:OS II would be hyperbole/10 for me. At that point in the game its design flaws (esp. the stat bloat) aren't so apparent, the world density feels like an isometric Gothic 2, and the systems-uber-alles design philosophy is at its most prominent. Some random dudebro youtube video I chanced across made a good point about systems-uber-alles regarding quests (I paraphrase): In D:OS you're initially tasked with solving an inane murder mystery which involves talking to all the relevant NPCs (boring); in D:OS II you're initially tasked with escaping Fort Joy which involves multiple solutions using the various game systems as you see fit (interesting).

For me it's a great game that gradually devolves into a mediocre one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom