Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, how do we rate D:OS 2?

How do we rate D:OS 2?

• Excellent - one of the best RPG's in a long while, no flaws, 10/10

Votes: 42 18.4%
  • Good - an above average experience with few flaws, though there are some

Votes: 104 45.6%
  • Even - it's a middling game that doesn't excell at anything, but isn't bad at anything either

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Uneven - It's an uneven game that does certain things very well, others terribly

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Bad - it may have a few good ideas, but mostly it's not that good

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Terrible - everything about it sucks

Votes: 14 6.1%

• Total voters

Quillon

Arcane
-every magister know you had escaped and attacks on sight
-without keeping any register

Magisters do the prisoner counting at night time.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
[...]

-even tho in the cutscene we hear one say "we assume that everyone on board the ship is dead"
This part genuinely upsets me. It's really fucking annoying, because even in the conversation with Lohse, all the choices are variations of "They hauled us in", despite the fact that you actually wash up on the shore after a shipwreck, and nobody reacts to it. You're not even questioned at the fucking gate. Plenty of prisoners are all "Are you new here?", but not a single Magister actually goes "Hey, you! Identify yourself! I don't recognize you, where the fuck did you come from?".

Funnily enough, there's at least two Magisters on the actual ship that asks you pretty much that exact question. But after a Shipwreck, 8 people just pop up in camp out of nowhere? Nobody fucking cares.
Not really surprised, though. I mean, there's a fight between 5 inmates right in front of at least 3 magisters and they don't even react, despite two of them ending up dead pronto. And then the entire kitchen-staff and then one of the most important and central inmates to running the camp effectively gets shivved along with his entire fucking gang, and nobody cares. Not the guards and certainly not the three remaining gang members that are playing cards within sight.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tbh, everything about the Fort Joy prison kind of looks to me like the original idea for that place was much different, and it was later repurposed into what it is now.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
- escape the prison without a fight

- feel smart about how you've just taken a smart route out

- get stomped into the ground by enemies that laugh at your pathetic level 3 :troll:
My experience in Divine Divinity. Skipped several large quests and one large dungeon, went outside of town 2 levels under enemies and experienced you gotta be kidding difficulty. After 30 enemies I got majority of these levels closer to what I should, and fights bere extremely hard but doable.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Tbh, everything about the Fort Joy prison kind of looks to me like the original idea for that place was much different, and it was later repurposed into what it is now.
Like the completely non-essential door in the prison, that leads into the castle/fort proper, that triggers a "Are we all ready for this?"-conversation with a mandatory "No matter what happens, I'm happy I met you guys, we had a good run and I'm fortunate to have travelled with you"?

Yeah, totally not awkward and out-of-place, considering that you an easily back out again, go in a different direction, or actually continue forward and just use one of the numerous entry points into the castle as an exit point.
You can easily, within the span of 5 minutes, pick up The Red Prince, Fane, Ifan and/or Lohse, never talk to them outside of the recruitment dialogue, go up to the statue next to Lohse, find the secret switch, enter the prison, go up to the door and trigger it.

And it's very clearly originally intended to be at the end of something major, and a point of no return type thing.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Funnily enough, there's at least two Magisters on the actual ship that asks you pretty much that exact question. But after a Shipwreck, 8 people just pop up in camp out of nowhere? Nobody fucking cares.

That can be rationalised as the ship being a much more carefully-controlled environment.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

That can be rationalised as the ship being a much more carefully-controlled environment.
Yeah but it's not like Concentration Camp Joy has hundreds of people in it. New people popping up would be noticeable. Several are even famous people, like the Red Prince. There's like a total of 5 lizards present, two of which aren't even in the camp proper, and a regal red one just prances in there and nobody notices? Even the Patrolman, Kraus, just reacting with "Who the fuck are you?" and throwing you into jail for processing would be nice, and if you escape later or refuse going with him he could attack you.

Black

Arcane
The whole Fort Joy is leaking like hell too, you have to actually be careful not to escape by accident.

Malpercio

Arcane
Forst Joy is basically an extended tutorial. I do agree that the lack of reactions once you escape/kill Griff is absolutely lame, it feels like the game is missing a quest that ties everything together (Why not invite the other prisoners to escape if you cleaned the place and you are ready to go?)

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, generally there is no real "feedback" after leaving Fort Joy.
Actually we went back eventually and murdered everything we could for the XP/loot. Which was fun combat-wise but role-playing wise it doesn't make any real sense.
That's a general thing of the game though. I think they gave the players waaaay more freedom of approach and tools than they could handle so in the end it feels like a fun-park that can lose its consistency if you try stuff out of order. Still a lot of fun but yeah that can happen

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
[...]

-even tho in the cutscene we hear one say "we assume that everyone on board the ship is dead"
This part genuinely upsets me. It's really fucking annoying, because even in the conversation with Lohse, all the choices are variations of "They hauled us in", despite the fact that you actually wash up on the shore after a shipwreck, and nobody reacts to it. You're not even questioned at the fucking gate. Plenty of prisoners are all "Are you new here?", but not a single Magister actually goes "Hey, you! Identify yourself! I don't recognize you, where the fuck did you come from?".

Not really surprised, though. I mean, there's a fight between 5 inmates right in front of at least 3 magisters and they don't even react, despite two of them ending up dead pronto. And then the entire kitchen-staff and then one of the most important and central inmates to running the camp effectively gets shivved along with his entire fucking gang, and nobody cares. Not the guards and certainly not the three remaining gang members that are playing cards within sight.

"I saw a Sourcerer the other day."
"Horrible things, I avoid them whenever I can."

Axie

Scholar
Excellent - one of the best RPG's in a long while, no flaws, 10/10

Fun - somewhere between U7 and... WotLK

Good - an above average experience with few flaws, though there are some

Even - it's a middling game that doesn't excell at anything, but isn't bad at anything either

Uneven - It's an uneven game that does certain things very well, others terribly

Bad - it may have a few good ideas, but mostly it's not that good

Terrible - everything about it sucks

imweasel

Larian improved quite a bit, yet the game turned out less enjoyable than D:OS 1. The new combat system is pretty boring as well as repetitive and the armor system is just crap.

OH WELL. I'll wait for some patches and hope for the best.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Sad to read this ^ :( I am gonna wait too. Maybe some mods or something will jazz it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom