Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, how do we rate D:OS 2?

How do we rate D:OS 2?

• Excellent - one of the best RPG's in a long while, no flaws, 10/10

Votes: 42 18.4%
  • Good - an above average experience with few flaws, though there are some

Votes: 104 45.6%
  • Even - it's a middling game that doesn't excell at anything, but isn't bad at anything either

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Uneven - It's an uneven game that does certain things very well, others terribly

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Bad - it may have a few good ideas, but mostly it's not that good

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Terrible - everything about it sucks

Votes: 14 6.1%

• Total voters

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, they are generally correct, the overall sum is positive.
There were good and bad changes but the good overcome the bad.

The biggest clear improvement is that DOS2 is a more coherent experience, with a story and some NPCs that you can actually remember. That helps the player have a motivation to go forward and not lose track(or interest) of what's happening.
DOS was like a fun park where (especially after the first city) the player barely had any idea what's going on apart from going from battle to battle and getting new stuff and quests.

I consider some systemical changes in combat to be a step backwards as everyone has said multiple times(armor system, initiative) but apart from that the game is generally more of the same - and better.
They could have fixed the itemization though. But they didn't. Same Diablo crap again

Vibalist

Arcane
Don't forget the music. The music is way worse in D:OS 2. So much so it actually drags the experience down.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Don't forget the music. The music is way worse in D:OS 2. So much so it actually drags the experience down.
I didn't find it so bad tbh but I guess it's less memorable than DOS1
But yeah in any case it's a "3 steps forward 2 steps backwards" situation

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The only thing I care about is combat :/ I still wanna play it though. Going to wait for patches and mods though.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Combat is very good compared to most recent games out there. Unfortunately compared to the first one there are a couple of bad decisions due to "balancing" which ruin some of the fun.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gotta change my vote from "Good" to "Uneven".

It seems to ring nearly all the right bells, but it just can not keep my interest up. Combat is fun and there seems to be a lot of ways to express the characters, but... While it boasts about "pnp levels of freedom" and all that jazz (yay, I can stack boxes), I still get the impression that I'm only rigidly building the best possible murdersquad while everything else is but flavor. The interactions feel inconsequential even when there's reactivity as all the time there's that next fight looming behind the corner and the need to get that next level up so I can kill things better. The setting is boring and while the characters feel like they belong there, that they are written adequately enough for the game, the dullness of the setting taints them too. That's the feeling the game projects.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Combat is very good compared to most recent games out there. Unfortunately compared to the first one there are a couple of bad decisions due to "balancing" which ruin some of the fun.

I think simplification is a better summary of what's wrong with it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yeah, it clearly has very little to do with balancing - on average, the saves system of D:OS1 was a lot more balanced than the armor system. What they were going was a massive reduction in complexity and a dumbing down of core mechanics.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Nah I think the intention was clearly balancing. However the implementation was dumbing down, unfortunately. Especially when thinking about the armor system

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Nah I think the intention was clearly balancing. However the implementation was dumbing down, unfortunately. Especially when thinking about the armor system

I don't remember balance being mentioned; I instead remember the main thrust being clarity.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Bad or uneven.
I was kind of enjoying the first 10-15 hours, but coming to Reaper's Coast my motivation was melting away big time. I had to force myself to keep playing, telling myself: "This game has depth."
Sessions became increasingly shorter and after removing it from my HD, I felt a big release like getting your life back.

Yeah, the combat isn't too bad and there are some nice quests, but as a whole, it's just unfocused and wants to be everything.
Not woth the time.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I don't remember balance being mentioned; I instead remember the main thrust being clarity.
Which is funny, because combat in D:OS2 is pretty much the opposite of anything being clear.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

Which is funny, because combat in D:OS2 is pretty much the opposite of anything being clear.

Maybe my memory is crappy, but I don't remember that being a major complaint of yours.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Maybe my memory is crappy, but I don't remember that being a major complaint of yours.
I was mostly making a joke based on the fact that in a very real or functional sense, not mechanically or 'meta' or systemically, the combat has the tendency to devolve into a clusterfuck hellscape of overlapping surface and cloud effects until you have no idea what is where, how it stacks, and everything is just on fucking fire.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
the combat has the tendency to devolve into a clusterfuck hellscape of overlapping surface and cloud effects until you have no idea what is where, how it stacks, and everything is just on fucking fire.

That would make for quite an interesting metaphor.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Voted good i loved even the first game but the second one improved overall even if some things are far from perfect of course... This guys deserve success on my book..

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Voted good i loved even the first game but the second one improved overall even if some things are far from perfect of course... This guys deserve success on my book..

Even if the sequel was an overall improvement from the first game, which is something I find highly debatable to say the least, I think there's a lot of wasted potential and flawed design decisions that prevent me from calling D:OS2 a success.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Even if the sequel was an overall improvement from the first game, which is something I find highly debatable to say the least, I think there's a lot of wasted potential and flawed design decisions that prevent me from calling D:OS2 a success.

Well of course they still have to find their way to improve there is still work to be done but considering the crap that other devs always promise and fail to deliver at least larian with this title did very good...

Is not a bad game or a bad rpg is actually good even if still a bit raw on my opinion....

We have in the other hands titles that promised gold and turned extremely crap... Like sword coast legends..

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Well of course they still have to find their way to improve there is still work to be done but considering the crap that other devs always promise and fail to deliver at least larian with this title did very good...

Is not a bad game or a bad rpg is actually good even if still a bit raw on my opinion....

We have in the other hands titles that promised gold and turned extremely crap... Like sword coast legends..

Alright, so, I'm agreeing with you, but if you don't stop ending all your sentences like they're unfinished sighs, I'm going to have to come over there and strangle you with the nearest network cable.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Alright, so, I'm agreeing with you, but if you don't stop ending all your sentences like they're unfinished sighs, I'm going to have to come over there and strangle you with the nearest network cable.

Sorry i am not native english want me to rewrite everything in italian? :P

Ops i forgot:

..... ..... .....

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom