Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, how have Pathfinder and Pillars 2 shaped up?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wouldn't say it's buggy, I personally didn't have any issues apart from the stuttering in big cities of course (which I did fix by disabling Telemetry though).
I think it's pretty good, very good looking, but it suffers from the storyline issues we have analyzed multiple times in the relevant thread (main story is a bit disconnected with everything else, the setting can be off-putting to some). Also the char system is a bit "overworked" because balancing, but it works in the end

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
All edginess aside, Deadfire is a really good game - including the high level DLC content. The only criticisms I have:

- No evil companions, unlike BG2.
- Mage battles still not quite as good as BG. They sort of added hard counters, but not fully.

I don't mind the main story being disconnected from the rest.

purpleblob

Savant
Kingmaker is the true spiritual successor Baldur's Gate series. Yes, it's that good.

Deadfire was ok, I played with TB mode which I liked more than RTwP but that dragged out ship combat which made me fall asleep.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Kingmaker was great to play with if you want to get several mods to deal with the potential problems you might encounter.

I hope they learn to leave their hands out of the PnP system in the sequel. For me it always feels like the Pathfinder system and adventure module makes the game so much fun and everything the designer tweaked or added is dragging the game down.

Deadfire was made by more experienced devs and it shows clearly. It was way more polished but the system Obsidian come up with is not as good as Pathfinder. Storywise both game is a meh to me, Deadfire has more diverse quest design though.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pathfinder is the best of the crowdfunded retro CRPGs, by far. On balance, I liked it more than most of the infinity engine games.

Deadfire is better than its predecessor (except for the writing), but in my view it has the same fundamental problem as POE: it’s got no hook. The game just doesn’t do a great job of making me care about what’s going on. In a dialogue heavy CRPG, you have to make the player care otherwise everything feels hollow.

Let me put it this way: pretty much every moment of Kingmaker, I had some goal I was trying to accomplish. The game gave me lots of reasons to feel motivated—it’s easy to get invested in Kingmaker. With both POE and Deadfire, I rarely felt invested. I’d clear every map and talk to every NPC mainly because I knew that’s how CRPGs are supposed to be played.

Deadfire’s not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but thanks to some questionable design decisions it’s somehow less than the sum of its parts.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm actually quite hopefully for the Kingmaker sequel that's in some sort of development now. It was a good enough first product, and the most costly thing is already done.

Pathfinder is the best of the crowdfunded retro CRPGs

Just cRPGs? Other than Bloodstained and Kingdom Come (Maybe Original Sin) is there any real competition among kickstarter games at all?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just cRPGs? Other than Bloodstained and Kingdom Come (Maybe Original Sin) is there any real competition among kickstarter games at all?
Not that have come out,there are still a few that i am hopeful about,like realms beyond,black gay-xer and a few others ;).

Oh and insomnia the ark is pretty cool,tho is not finished yet.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I'm actually quite hopefully for the Kingmaker sequel that's in some sort of development now. It was a good enough first product, and the most costly thing is already done.

Pathfinder is the best of the crowdfunded retro CRPGs

Shadowrun: Dragonfall was my personal favorite out of all the Kickstarter RPG's and one that I would consider in my Top 10 of all time.

EDIT: I guess it was technically a sequel/expansion to a Kickstarter game... one that I didn't particularly like very much.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Shadowrun: Dragonfall was my personal favorite out of all the Kickstarter RPG's and one that I would consider in my Top 10 of all time.
In terms of setting and writing, it is the best, it terms of gameplay it is bellow average, what is sad, the access to decent enough programmers like Obsidian and OwlCat had made a huge difference, HBS for some period were unable to even implement a save system, that had a huge impact, especially on the Matrix gameplay and Ai that could be much better.

Codex Year of the Donut
In terms of setting and writing, it is the best, it terms of gameplay it is bellow average, what is sad, the access to decent enough programmers like Obsidian and OwlCat had made a huge difference, HBS for some period were unable to even implement a save system, that had a huge impact, especially on the Matrix gameplay and Ai that could be much better.
The build of Shadowrun: Dragonfall available on Steam is broken. It has been broken for well over a year without being fixed. The game completely locks up during the APEX rising mission, reported a bunch without being fixed.

What makes Dragonfall any better than Hong Kong? I always here this opinion without any explanations. To me HK was miles better. Still, all Shadowrun games suffer from an acute case of mediocre-turnbaseditis.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What makes Dragonfall any better than Hong Kong? I always here this opinion without any explanations. To me HK was miles better. Still, all Shadowrun games suffer from an acute case of mediocre-turnbaseditis.
The story is better, encounter design is better, the Matrix is better and I prefer the darker european inspired art style, HK is better at stat checks (you can pretty much avoid most fights with them), there are more guns and spells and there are some interesting things like the different endings that depend on some actions you took through the game but pretty much everything else is inferior, probably because they made the game on a hurry.

Both were fun because of the writing and setting, the gameplay on Dragonfall is better because of the better encounter design though.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The build of Shadowrun: Dragonfall available on Steam is broken. It has been broken for well over a year without being fixed. The game completely locks up during the APEX rising mission, reported a bunch without being fixed.
This is criminal, they break the game you bought AND let people buy a broken game and not a single team member try to fix the bug. I can only expect they completely abandoning those games after they were bought by Paradox, that is just irresponsibility.

The story is better, encounter design is better, the Matrix is better and I prefer the darker european inspired art style, HK is better at stat checks (you can pretty much avoid most fights with them), there are more guns and spells and there are some interesting things like the different endings that depend on some actions you took through the game but pretty much everything else is inferior, probably because they made the game on a hurry.
'
Yeah, see, this is what i mean. Saying something is better is one thing, but i'm asking, WHY is it better? I get everything past the "I prefer darker..." but not what comes before. How is the encounter design better? As for the story, this is imo purely subjective. I much prefer HK's plot tbh. But what makes the encounters mechanically better?

biggestboss

Liturgist
For me personally, I hated that they replaced the turn based matrix hacking stuff with real time. I also felt that the dialogue in HK was not as well written as Dragonfall, which wouldn't be so bad if HK didn't also have a lot more of it than its predecessor. Other than that, HK is a fine game.

Siobhan

Arbiter
The main issue with HK is the writing bloat. It messes up the pacing, and that's what the Shadowrun games have going for them: they cut out all the usual RPG crud like inventory management, tons of trivial sidequests, and looting everything that's bolted on, all in the service of a fast-paced experience without any downtime or distractions. But then you can't do a 180 in your writing and have every dialog explore the most pointless drivel in 50,000 paragraphs that take 5 minutes to click through even if you don't read them.

Pretty surprised to see comparable assessments for Kingmaker and Deadfire, I thought the former was everybody's darling around here while the latter is considered an unmitigated disaster. Always interesting to see the amplitude of public opinion flatten over time.

Pretty surprised to see comparable assessments for Kingmaker and Deadfire, I thought the former was everybody's darling around here while the latter is considered an unmitigated disaster. Always interesting to see the amplitude of public opinion flatten over time.
Kingmaker has a 10% of never working on your machine. That's my only issue with it. Oh and the feel of the combat is way worse than Deadfire. Other than that i haven't been able to play it enough to judge.

Vorark

Erudite

Seriously? What about the latest GOG build?

Codex Year of the Donut

Seriously? What about the latest GOG build?
No idea, I don't own it on GOG.
You can find the thread about it here, the original post was from 2014: https://steamcommunity.com/app/300550/discussions/1/617321352158723798/
more threads about it
https://steamcommunity.com/app/300550/discussions/1/616198900645280907/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/300550/discussions/1/142261352646763614/

Best part is that it can delete your savegame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom