Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking So, I just played Metal Gear Boredom

Nightjed

Liturgist
dunno about "pure pwnage", mgs2 gave you the finger and switched your character to "gayest operative ever : Raiden" after a few hours in, i couldnt recover from that and ended up not finishing it

Callaxes

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
fastpunk said:
Wait. This game actually has 40 minute cutscenes? :|
90 minute mega cutscene at one point from what I have heard.

That's Japanese games for you, and that's why I hate them. It's their terrible camera angles, and their attempts to be movies more than games.

I do not believe you.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Nightjed said:
90 freaking minutes ? i heard you can pause them but for that long they should let you rewind, fast forward and save during it, jeez, if a game ever forces you to put down the gamepad during play something is seriously wrong
Why? Because you only say it's bad, it's bad, it's BAD. I don't think a game-movie hybrid is wrong.

obediah

Erudite
Nightjed said:
dunno about "pure pwnage"

I'm telling you, it was awesome. Now you know! :D

mgs2 gave you the finger and switched your character to "gayest operative ever : Raiden" after a few hours in, i couldnt recover from that and ended up not finishing it

People that weren't even born when MG came out were growing pubes before mgs2 came out. mgs2 could have been a flower picking simulator and it would have been too late to tarnish MG's legacy.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I don't remember any of the MGS having 1 hour long cut scenes, I would say none of them went over like 10-15 minutes max and thats stretching it. Usually they are separated by some game play that people are dismissing. Even if the game play parts between long story segments maybe short or something I don't think that they count as that long of cut scenes. I wouldn't be suprised if Hideo did do want to do very super long cut scenes like that since he basically has no limits put on his creativity by the higher ups and considers himself a director.

Some of the cut scenes can get boring but it's a small price to pay I guess.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Metal Gear Solid (PSone) was a lot of fun, the cut-scenes weren't long at all, just frequent - but it was entertaining.

The 2nd one (PS2) was ridiculous though with the cut-scene length - not to mention the zaniness of the story (leave it to the crazy Japs!).

And I've heard the 3rd is more of the same with the newest one featuring a near-feature length ending cinematic!

I could NOT get into Xenosaga for the same reason. If I want to watch anime I'll throw on a DVD not turn on my console.

I think some of these game designers should just make films for a living, it's an insult to gamers that these games are released. Of course fanboys are also to blame. Cinematics are fun and can help propel a story, add drama and emotion to it but it should not take up more than 2% of total gametime.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Nightjed said:
90 freaking minutes ? i heard you can pause them but for that long they should let you rewind, fast forward and save during it, jeez, if a game ever forces you to put down the gamepad during play something is seriously wrong
You have save chances in the middle of cutscenes this time...

Anyway, I very much liked MGS4. Maybe it was that I enjoyed the gameplay and when a cutscene started I picked up the popcorn.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The guy that created metal gear is the same guy that made Snatcher, an awesome cyberpunk adventure. The problem is that after MGS1 he got the Molyneux syndrome. MGS2 was a glorious pile of crap.

WhiskeyWolf said:
I don't think a game-movie hybrid is wrong.

I don't know about this one. It seems like a cool idea at first glance, but all the implementations of this theory have sucked in practice. I think this has to do with the fact that one of the prime motivators for playing games conflicts heavily with some of the main properties of movies.

Generally a movie is intended to be a one-sitting experience with the focus on presenting a story to the audience in a rather concise manner through visual imagery. It also relies heavily on good pacing and flow to maintain audience immersion. Game elements might totally wreck this however. Take any action movie; would it really be fun to "play"the action sequences? Would it be a good substitute for watching the main character go batshit crazy on the army of Lt. Expendables? When thinking about this you'd have to consider that any surprise would likely be lifted from the action sequences. You'd be in control and thus know what was happening beforehand. There wouldn't be anything like "Holy crap Rambo just blew the place up with exploding arrows" or "Damn! I wasn't expecting executions that brutal" or "Wow...that action choreography was pretty awesome". It would be more like "Oh cool....my character did what I told them" and it basically makes the player the choreographer, which is venturing dangerously close to Oblivion-style "role-playing" where "it's fun (or in this case, action-packed) if you pretend it so".

We also have to consider pacing. Someone expecting a movie doesn't want to have to endure game overs or practice until they are good enough at McClane-ing to be able to kill Hans and his goons to see the story unfold. So this results in "cinematic gaming" being dumb as all hell. Dumb to the point of being almost worthless in implementation. Take for instance Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. Mashing buttons during the cutscenes was pretty stupid an idea to add "gameplay" that only conflicted with the player's enjoyment of the main focus (the storyline and plot).

Generally the problem with the idea of "movies as games" is that the two primary focuses of each medium conflict with each other. Movies want to tell a linear storyline, games want interactivity. See where this is going?

Armacalypse

Scholar
Edward_R_Murrow: It depends on the person. Some may think mixing both the interactive and the non-interactive makes a sum that's better than it's parts. And since the MGS series actually sells I think many people feel this way.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Armacalypse said:
Edward_R_Murrow: It depends on the person. Some may think mixing both the interactive and the non-interactive makes a sum that's better than it's parts. And since the MGS series actually sells I think many people feel this way.
Undersigned included. I enjoy the gameplay, but moreso the cutscenes, which is why I keep the popcorn handy.

Annonchinil

Scholar
I only played 3;Subsistance and it was a lot of fun, great crazy emotional story, humour (Metal Gear Raiden: Snake Eraser), acceptable and fun stealth gameplay and some of the best boss battles ever. The cutscenes at times felt overlong but most were well done and at times mixed really well with the action; the whole Shaghod boss battle felt like I was playing a movie.

I wish those kids who go 'zomg Bioware best stories' play some MSG (not the second though)

Lurkar

Scholar
I wouldn't mind the ninety minute cutscenes as much if it weren't so...well, Metal Gear.

This is how EVERY FUCKING Metal Gear game goes.

1) You have to beat the bad guys!
2) Plot twists! You have no fucking clue what's going on.
3) Oh fuck, the game ends in ten minutes! Someone explains EVERYTHING to you. It was all a conspiracy!
4) The game ends. Oh fuck! That person that did all the explaining was a part of ANOTHER conspiracy. You have no fucking clue what's going on.
5) HOPE YOU LIKE SEQUELS!

User was nabbed fit

Lurkar said:
1) You have to beat the bad guys!
2) Plot twists! You have no fucking clue what's going on.
3) Oh fuck, the game ends in ten minutes! Someone explains EVERYTHING to you. It was all a conspiracy!
4) The game ends. Oh fuck! That person that did all the explaining was a part of ANOTHER conspiracy. You have no fucking clue what's going on.
5) HOPE YOU LIKE SEQUELS!

Kind of like Lost.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The special version of MGS3 lets you watch all the cutscenes and codec conversions spliced into a four and a half hour long movie. So yeah, the cut scenes are long.

MGS needs to learn the art of montage.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Talby said:
The special version of MGS3 lets you watch all the cutscenes and codec conversions spliced into a four and a half hour long movie. So yeah, the cut scenes are long.

MGS needs to learn the art of montage.

Is that right off the bat or do you have to finish the game?
In the past i was pretty pissed the only way to enjoy the cut scenes of MGS1 and MGS2 was to actually play the game and not just view the cut scenes.
The game series makes a good 3d animated movie.

ecliptic

Liturgist
MGS3 was actually pretty awesome. Basically fixed most of the problems that people had with MGS2.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Except for actually being able to see who you were trying to sneak around/up on. And other annoying problems like gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom