Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I 'm trying the D&D Online 10 day trial.

Redeye

Arcane
Looks like WOW.

I'm still at the beginning, so it is still very handholdy.

I hope it changes radically later, but I suspect it will not.

I so far see virtually no opportunity for strategy/tactics.

It looks like this, except not psychedelic and evil.

More info later.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Enjoy the early levels slowly while you can. It loses the D&D feeling as you get past about level 8+.
It eventually becomes a typical mmorpg grind fest with inflated gear and inflated monster hps and abilities/feats that don't make any d&d sense at all.

Redeye

Arcane
Yeah, I got a 1-month subscription after the trial. I did not renew.

It got really lame.

If you could make temp-characters of any level to experiment with, that might be fun for a couple of weeks. (Just make any items/etc. dissapear every 3 days and be non-transferrable.)

Of course, trying out stuff like that the time-consuming way might be part of what is keeping people there.

A 6-person team of Monk 9/ Wizard 7 would have been really fun to watch/play.
(Play Yakety-Sax while zooming around at blurring speed with six Dimension Doors open. Too bad they all just lead back to the start of level.)

I'd also like to make the Colonial Marines from Aliens- perhaps as Warforged. All with repeating crossbows. (Rangers with Wizard 1 and Cleric 1.)

Of course you can't make parties.

Since I'm never paying those people another penny, who wants to discuss "theme-teams"/tactics/etc.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
D&d online was one of the bigger disappointments for me. I was genuinely hoping for an accurate portrayal of d&d rules as an online game.

The game kept heading in the direction of inflated stats and abilities. They just kept replacing d&d rules with whatever they felt was better. Sigh... could've been a great game there. =(

AzraelCC

Scholar
It's set in Eberron, dammit! Along with Dragonshards, the computer game renditions of Eberron are pathetic, which is a shame, since the campaign setting is pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom