Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So. Jade Empire.

Lerk

Learned
I've never played this. Worth it? I actually didn't know it existed until recently. I liked KOTOR and this is circa that period yeah?

I'm not expecting depth, a decent story would suffice. Decent by Bioware standards, I mean :M

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I`'ve never played this. Worth it? I actually didn't know it existed until reecently. I liked KOTOR and this is circa that period yeah?

I'm not expecting depth, a decent story would suffice. Decent by Bioware standards, I mean :M

They did a good job researching for the setting (in the context of video games). The overall world building effort is Kotor/Mass Effect Classic levels of quality.

v1rus

Arcane
I'm jumping on the "Is it worth it?" wagon. I think it's the only Bioware rpg I haven't played (ok, haven't played DA2 and DA:I either), so I've been thinking of giving it a go for quite some time.

At least the setting isnt THAT cliche, so it cant be that bad, right?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The story and characters are mostly forgettable in my opinion. I do remember that you get a stance, which transforms you into a monster/giant statue. With the transformation ability, you can cheese most enemies and boss battles in a number of seconds.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As long as we're talking about it, Dragon Age II has redeeming qualities, depending on your interests -- the core systems are still the same ones used in Dragon Age: Origins. The constant re-use of environments and enemies is comparable to procedural generated environments in other types of RPGs.

I wish people hadn't complained about it so much. That helped push Bioware away from visual novel/RPG hybrids and started them toward Skyrim frankensteins.

Lambach

Arcane
It's pretty much Mass Effect in China. Approach it like you'd approach a Hollywood blockbuster popcorn flick and you'll have a good time. Don't expect much else because you'll be sorely disappointed.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
It's good for what it is,you will enjoy it as much as you enjoy most Bioware games of that era.Personally I liked the setting and enjoyed myself,it's an easy game and probably Bioware's shortest game so you should be able to finish it without any problems

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Years ago I lived with a roommate that played this on the XBox. I just could not get into this setting.

Lambach

Arcane
Years ago I lived with a roommate that played this on the XBox. I just could not get into this setting.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I've got a friend who never played a video-game from start to finish in her life, but she beat JE twice just because of the setting. Chinkland is a huge attraction for some people for some reason.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Pretty shit game. Starts mediocre, being trained as a chosen one and then everythings taken away to gi you a reason for pursuing the main quest. The world is the standard Bioware one, wi a smattering of oriental tropes, a thin veneer of atmosphere and a good/bad morality thing, it states that its more complicated than this, but it is straight light/dark side stuff in effect. Settings are lifeless and boring until you come upon a quest or cutscene, modern Bioware just can't do cities or even villages. Cast isn't bad, they're the usual archetypes that are reused in every game, mechanically they're a bit shit.

Theres a flying minigame like old FTL an them horizontal shooters, you know em. Do all o these before you leave Imperial City an you'll get some hidden content.

Plot turns more interesting when real antagonist arises, nice turn about but you'll probably guess it aforehand, you get a shitload of hints. Anyway this leads to end part o the game, and this were probably most fun bit of it for me, atmospheric and tense wi some good action and setting.

5/10 if i'm being generous, some parts I endured, other parts I enjoyed, while some bits I fucking hated.

Think I mighta been spoiled by watching Monkey! as a young un, far better implementation than this, funnier and weirder.

The main villain is decent if not particularly original. The story that you're being told (and don't get to experience through gameplay) is also fine. Everything else is shit. Read synopsis / watch cutscenes somewhere if you're particularly curious, avoid wasting more time than that.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Oh couple o things that I thought were well done: You get to choose from initial character types and if you pick a big bastard say, a few folk'll acknowledge that early on and comment on it, soon dries up though.

When you're in conversation you'll smile if you're giving nice responses, blankface if moderate and grimace if nasty. Fairly simple but quite well implemented I thought.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I liked the game and would recommend it. As others have said its KoToR in China and as always the evil path (Closed Fist!) is funner. Combat gets a little repetitive towards the end though.

Also if you play your cards right you can have a three-way with the two main chicks.

Some dude made a pretty big mod for it that added a bunch of fighting styles and bug fixes but I don't remember what it was called.

Just realized I don't remember any of the characters' names.

Dawn Star and Silk Fox are the two love interests.

Black Whirlwind is a giant axe wielding mothafcka who was lifted pretty much verbatim from the character of the same name in the Outlaws of the Water Margin.

Hen Pecked Hu.

And uh, some little girl possessed by demons.

"Sky" something with a spear. Maybe.

Crazy engineer Cid-type character.

... one or two others.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
good/bad morality thing, it states that its more complicated than this, but it is straight light/dark side stuff in effect.
Yeah. The idea of what they should be is pretty cool, and is presented well in the game. Open palm is basically your standard cRPG good alignment, whereas the closed fist is some extreme social darwinism idea.

Iirc, its explained something like this in game: A man encounters a farmer on the road, who says his village is being attacked by bandits. The open palmed says the man should help the farmers defend their village. The closed fist says this would only make the farmers weak and dependent on others for protection, and the man should instead give the farmer his sword and a few pointers on how to use it. If the man and the village is strong, they'll learn to defend themselves. If they are weak, they will be swept aside. Both are 'good' outcomes.

There are some choices in the game that reflect this, but 90% of them are your standard bioware I'll help vs I'll help, but I want payment!

As for the game itself, I suppose the setting is pretty novel as there's not a huge amount of oriental inspired games around. On the Bioware scale, I'd rate it higher than KOTOR for sure.

Lerk

Learned
Well this got more response than I expected. Cheers for the inputs bros. Downloadn.

It's pretty much Mass Effect in China. Approach it like you'd approach a Hollywood blockbuster popcorn flick and you'll have a good time. Don't expect much else because you'll be sorely disappointed.

Currently this is what I'm after, yeah. Sometimes, you just want a cheeseburger and fries. It can't be porterhouse and sauteed potatoes every day, you know? ;)

Also if you play your cards right you can have a three-way with the two main chicks.

There is also a M/M romance option, if I am remembering correctly. :shittydog:

And M/F/F romance, which is way way more rare in mainstream games.

Bioware. Bioware never changes :negative:

Lerk

Learned
Oh, any particular reason this one seems to have gone under the radar in the context of Bioware RPGs? Because AZNS?

its ok. i like it more than i should but only because of its wuxia setting. the part from entering imperial palace to final battle (so about last 1/3 of the game ) has some nice C&C and couple great moments. its a bit similar to star forge from kotor 1 only much better. next to landsmeet from DA: O and ilos from me1 bioware`s best final.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Oh and John Cleese has a small role in it:shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom