Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Quake...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I managed to get to the second episode. Damn, it's fucking scary. And the flying flesh thingie creeps me out. Too bad they don't make games like this any more :( .

It's very good at providing an emotional respite from the problems of everyday life. I'll need to buy a full version one day (wait, I'm not going to have money for a whole fucking year :x )

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I managed to get to the second episode. Damn, it's fucking scary. And the flying flesh thingie creeps me out. Too bad they don't make games like this any more :( .

If you mean the "wizards", yeah, I remember they creeped me out, too. The enemy design is genius in that game.

Correction: The design of that particular enemy is genius. :)

DraQ

Arcane
nihil said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

If you mean the "wizards", yeah, I remember they creeped me out, too. The enemy design is genius in that game.

Correction: The design of that particular enemy is genius. :)
My GF calls them 'swallows'.
:/

She also refers to Shamblers as 'hamsters' and considers them kind of cute.

convivialist

Educated
I feel more nostalgic about playing multiplayer Quake 1 back in the day than I feel about anything in real life.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:

The RetroAhoy dude made a video last week focusing on Quake 1 and a little on the rest of ID's games and ID itself. Guy's pretty good and comprehensive so here it is:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

The RetroAhoy dude made a video last week focusing on Quake 1 and a little on the rest of ID's games and ID itself. Guy's pretty good and comprehensive so here it is:

I see that dude is some sort of a connoisseur.

Anyway, do you guys know that Reb and VoDkA actually played Quake :D ?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Quake 1 was the shit, both in SP and MP. I remember playing Deathmatch while my friend worked on his map, then we'd switch over so he would get to play couple of duels while I play-tested his level and rinse & repeat. Point was to make a level as difficult as possible that was still doable without cheating.

Space Insect

Arcane
Quake 1 really doesn't get the love it deserves. Everyone seemed to think of only the multiplayer and its tech significance, forgetting that wonderful singleplayer. I love the atmosphere, the level design, the lovecraftian and gothic influences. The blockey enemies only serve to make them seem more mutated, more fitting in the nightmarish world.
:love:
Has any other FPS ever tried to get this weird atmostphere?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Quake has a wonderful atmosphere, satisfying gameplay and I would really love to see an engine freely available for indies which utilizes the same rendering and mapping techniques. Pity that most devs just licensed the engine to examine it and develop their own engines this way instead of using the engine itself to make more cool stuff (GoldSrc, LithTech, NOD Engine and more).

The only similar game I can think of is Hexen 2. If you're really THAT desperate, look for fan maps, that's the only way to get more of the original Quake goodness.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I found the gameplay of Quake 1 inferior to games of the same era like Doom, Duke Nukem, Dark Forces and even Outlaws. The atmosphere is good, but the levels feel small and cramped, like in later console games.

Seems like a monocled guy. Shits all over those over-pretentious twats that spend an hour spewing shit about nothing.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I found the gameplay of Quake 1 inferior to games of the same era like Doom, Duke Nukem, Dark Forces and even Outlaws. The atmosphere is good, but the levels feel small and cramped, like in later console games.
Well, yeah, it suffered from certain scaling-down. I also didn't like the higher resistance of baddies to fire, which apparently was also due to scaling everything down.

They're not small but they lack open spaces but I played on fanmade open maps and they sucked (didn't fit Q's mechanics). Quake is not a limited game, it's just claustrophobic. I always prefered Q1/2 over Doom.

Plus did you play Scourge.../Dissolution.../Abyss of Pandemonium?

octavius

Arcane
Patron

They're not small but they lack open spaces but I played on fanmade open maps and they sucked (didn't fit Q's mechanics). Quake is not a limited game, it's just claustrophobic. I always prefered Q1/2 over Doom.

Plus did you play Scourge.../Dissolution.../Abyss of Pandemonium?

I played Scourge and liked it better than the core game. Dissolution I didn't even finish, which is rare for me.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

The levels are small and cramped because of hardware limitation at the time. Level design is still pretty good and the gameplay is excellent, despite the unconventional, "floaty" feel of it. I played a ton of custom maps and i still don't get tired of it. Quake and Doom are basically my "minesweeper" at this point. Whenever i feel bored or tired i always end up playing a new wad or map.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Like Ahoyguy mentioned Quake also introduced bulletspongyness to ID games as the engine wasnt capable of processing as many enemies as doom due to their higher hardware demand. Still, Quake was a phenomenal game and one of the best coop experiences i had with a fps.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Like Ahoyguy mentioned Quake also introduced bulletspongyness to ID games as the engine wasnt capable of processing as many enemies as doom due to their higher hardware demand. Still, Quake was a phenomenal game and one of the best coop experiences i had with a fps.
I wonder if there are any mods that replace the bullet-sponginess with higher amount of enemies.

tormund

Arcane
I never enjoyed combat in Quake 1 that much. Weapons were never that satisfying for me compared to Doom or must Build engine games, and enemies indeed felt bullet-spongey. That is the main reason I never got into custom Quake maps.
I remember someone in Quake maps thread posting a video of mod that gave more of audiovisual punch to weapons while keeping the balance intact, so I might try that at some point. People keep posting screenshots of impressive looking recent Quake maps & episodes around here, and i will have to try some of that shit anyway.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
So I'm not the only one who didn't liked Quake that much? Phew. Only liked the music and that's when I bought it decade and more later.

Anyway - I was wondering if it's better to post it in D44m thread but since this thread was bumped - here it go.

rM8X0TH.png

https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/869
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/A-Job-Listing-Suggests-id-Software-is-Working-on-Rebooting-Quake

Why would they mention Quake name if last part was blandbanalshitboring and released centuries ago. Why, of course, for the glory of the Satan for the incoming Quake, once again without numbers.

id Software’s iconic brands such as Wolfenstein®, DOOM®, QUAKE® and RAGE® have become staples of popular culture for generations of gamers."
RAGE...staple...
atNvAkW.gif

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I never liked Quake much either. I still play Doom from time to time, but Quake never had the same appeal. Even when it was released, I don't think I played it past its first campaign. After all the infinite hype (and it was super hyped at the time), I was way more taken with build engine games. It suffers from being the awkward first baby steps of 3D in that despite its being a way more sophisticated engine and arguably more revolutionary than the Doom engine, to me the Doom engine is just more fun to play, holds up way better (Doom definitely looks way better today than Quake), and just has a satisfying X factor to it that Quake never had. Playing Quake today and at the time it still feels like a Tech Demo.

Quake is an infinitely better MP game than Doom, but in that area it also suffers from being ahead of its time as at least in my area it predated the necessary internet required to make online play viable. I didn't start playing MP heavily until Quake 3 in 1999, so honestly never played the original enough to develop a sense of any advantages or charms its MP might have over Quake 3.

Last edited:

Gentle Player

Arcane
I recently played through all of Quake I, right after playing through Doom, and at first I had the same problems: weapons felt too weak and the enemies had too much HP. I was playing it as if it were Doom, using Shotgun and Nailgun most of the time despite the former being much weaker than its Doom counterpart and the latter using too much ammo to be sustainable. However, once I started using the Grenade/Rocket Launcher as primary weapons, saving the Nails for Fiends and Shamblers, everything felt much smoother. The design makes this very easy to do, as the most common enemies, Ogres, drop Rockets, and the ability to jump and utilise the 3D level designs helps with avoiding splash damage despite the levels generally being more cramped and claustrophobic. I think the Rocket Launcher is to Quake as the (Super) Shotgun is to Doom, and once I realised that then the game became much more fun.

I suspect that most players who didn't enjoy the Quake singleplayer campaign that much didn't play with music enabled - probably because they played a ripped version (the music was only available as redbook audio at the time). I personally know a number of people who, to this day, have never heard the soundtrack.

I think it's a fundamental part of the game's atmosphere. Quake is much more about mood than Doom - gameplay wise, I think I prefer Doom and always have, it's faster paced with more enemies. However, Quake level design is often more interesting even if most levels are shorter. The soundtrack helps immensely, playing without it is doing the game a disservice.

And yes, I find that the old Doom habit of using the shotgun for more than taking out the grunt-level enemies also hinders one's enjoment of the game. It's way more fun to play with Quake's more advanced physics via the pineapple or rocket launcher - also helps cut down on the bullet sponginess of enemies.

The last time I replayed Quake was using the DarkPlaces engine and a whole lot of retextures/remodels. It was interesting, but recently I've been using Quakespasm and have come to appreciate the simplicity of the original design, with its prebaked lighting and all. I've come to realize that most retexturing endeavours are pretty bad (also came to the same conclusion replaying the very first Thief recently - the most popular retexture project for that game is absolutely awful).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom