Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ahhh I knew that this topic would trigger some reaction :p

There is this cantrip that Wizards, Clerics, Eldritch Knights, and Arcane Tricksters have. It's called Light

You don't say! O.o

Joking aside, the problem here has multiple aspects. Balance, as we already mentioned, is one - but it's not the only one. When you play Tabletop D&D, you're mostly describing & imagining things - if you're an Elf, or a Dwarf, the DM will have no problem telling you what you see in the dark. This is not the case for a video game - you will be unable to see much on screen if none of your characters is using Light / wielding a torch. So in a way, even if gameplay-wise we didn't change anything, you would still be forced to use a source of light to see - negating your Darkvision advantage. This would mean visibility clashes with gameplay, which is not something we want (because that's just inconsistent, you don't need light but you still need it? Dafuq?)

Half of your base classes have access to that cantrip. The other half have access through archetypes. Literally everyone has access to it through the feat Magic Initiate. Even if you kept torches rare, there is no reason to expect a player will be lacking in lighting sources. If you're worried about Darkvision not being allowed to shine, Darkvision has a range of 60'. The Light cantrip offers bright light to 20' and dim light to 40'. Therefore, Darkvision will still be superior to a Light spell or torch after 20'.

Quantomas

Savant
Ahhh I knew that this topic would trigger some reaction :p

There is this cantrip that Wizards, Clerics, Eldritch Knights, and Arcane Tricksters have. It's called Light

You don't say! O.o

Joking aside, the problem here has multiple aspects. Balance, as we already mentioned, is one - but it's not the only one. When you play Tabletop D&D, you're mostly describing & imagining things - if you're an Elf, or a Dwarf, the DM will have no problem telling you what you see in the dark. This is not the case for a video game - you will be unable to see much on screen if none of your characters is using Light / wielding a torch. So in a way, even if gameplay-wise we didn't change anything, you would still be forced to use a source of light to see - negating your Darkvision advantage. This would mean visibility clashes with gameplay, which is not something we want (because that's just inconsistent, you don't need light but you still need it? Dafuq?)

Half of your base classes have access to that cantrip. The other half have access through archetypes. Literally everyone has access to it through the feat Magic Initiate. Even if you kept torches rare, there is no reason to expect a player will be lacking in lighting sources. If you're worried about Darkvision not being allowed to shine, Darkvision has a range of 60'. The Light cantrip offers bright light to 20' and dim light to 40'. Therefore, Darkvision will still be superior to a Light spell or torch after 20'.
Aside from these valid and significant aspects, my point was: don't change the rules.

Even if you want to go ahead with what you proposed as your light system, i.e. everyone can see in darkness, specific disadvantages for different vision, you can just as well come up with an artifact called Medaillon of Illumination that causes your surroundings to give off soft light, and like a magic spell imbue the vision of different characters with specific properties. You can even make it work so that it doesn't provide the same benefits for monsters and other encounters.

What's the difference? Let's say if you want to do an expansion later with upped difficulty and exploit the features of the RAW rules, then you wouldn't have written yourself into a corner. You could simply do something neat like to introduce an event that breaks the medaillon and requires your party to repair it, while navigating darkness properly. Or you could offer hard mode, without the medaillon. Not to mention that it wouldn't gall players who have played years with the original rules.

Likewise what the camera shows can always be what your most apt character sees. It doesn't need to be the party leader.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.solasta-game.com/news/14-gen-con-2019-kickstarter-info-page

GEN CON 2019 & KICKSTARTER INFO PAGE!

Hey there folks!

Only one day remaining before Gen Con 2019, and you know what that means - it's time for each and everyone to get an update about the Kickstarter Pre-Alpha Demo! Because yes, we can now officially say it - although some of you may have already guessed, the Pre-Alpha Demo will go public on Steam at the same time our Kickstarter goes live!

When is that? Well... That I cannot reveal yet (SoonTM), but I can definitively tell you where to keep a lookout! We now have a new, dedicated Page with all the Kickstarter Info you need right here! Go and check it out, and don't forget to make sure you've signed up to our Newsletter to be among the first to know when the dates go live.

Back to Gen Con, here is a reminder of where / when you can find us:
  • We will be located in Indiana Convention Center Hall B, close to Hall B HQ. You can find us on Gen Con's Interactive Map
  • We will be there from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm, no need to sign up you can just drop by
  • The Pre-Alpha Demo will be playable, although it still need some work & polish
  • It is free! (Aside from needing the usual Gen Con Badge to attend)
cgdLmSM88KntqHXIzoc6f0SxKrTpmgI5uR9a2TDU.png

Don't be shy, drop by to say hello!

As this News goes live, we'll already be in the plane to cross the Atlantic for Indianapolis! So to all of you out there, I say good night, sleep tight, and don't let the Bedbugs bite!

Gv8cWJKm4wSd3EoV66XQvbofL2hN16iu5qztJ2et.gif

Especially not these Bedbugs!

https://www.solasta-game.com/kickstarter

An Epic Team Adventure!
Create your very own squad of adventurers, each with their own abilities and personality.

A Mysterious & Dynamic World
Delve into long forgotten dungeons to unearth ancient artifacts, but beware the darkness.

Prepare to Think in Three Dimensions
Shove your enemies into chasms, Spiderclimb to a vantage point, Fly above obstacles - prepare for a world of Verticality.

True to the Tabletop
Solasta brings the thrill, tactics and storytelling of tabletop games with a serving of 5e Ruleset!

---

Get ready for our Kickstarter Pre-Alpha Demo!
We will be releasing a Pre-Alpha Demo when our Kickstarter goes live, available to everyone! Follow four brave souls into the Ruins of Telema and uncover what lurks below. This adventure is hand-crafted for Kickstarter, so don't worry about spoilers for the main game!

---

Why Kickstarter?
More classes! More races! More quests! Those are but a few reasons for us to head to Kickstarter.

We don't just want you to like Solasta - we want you to love it! We want to make the best game we can possibly do, and that means seeking support from you - the player.

We want to hear you, our future players!
What is a tabletop game without communication? We want to build Solasta with your help and listen to your opinions.

What is it you would like to see? What are you excited about? What are your concerns? Kickstarter enables that direct line of discussion, and we can't wait to hear more from you

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Myzzrym

Good fortune to you at Gen Con tomorrow. May you follow in the traditions of Gygax, and hold unwavering to your vision for Solasta; of dynamic exploration, party-based adventuring and turned based combat.

Hey, thanks man! I'll try to post some updates but can't promise anything

Dorateen

Arcane
Loot!

https://www.solasta-game.com/news/13-dev-diary-4-wheres-the-loot

Hello fellow adventurers,

Now that we've tackled most of our Key Pillars (you can read about Light & Darkness and Verticality in our previous articles), let's go over a bit of a hot topic - Loot. From the very start, we wanted to avoid making a “loot-based RPG”. We know this is a popular style and that players love to collect items to fill an endless, ever-growing inventory; and we are aware that it feels rewarding to get trinkets and bobbles (paid for in blood) when traveling. Even so, this is not the experience we want the players to have during their adventures in Solasta.

Now before you start grabbing your pitchfork, let us be clear on what we mean by that. Everyone wants to find treasures, hoards of gold, cool gear and magic items... which you definitively will in Solasta. What we wanted to avoid however, is having players collecting truckloads of rusted swords and worn-down leather armors from each and every orc they kill. While we at Tactical Adventures stand firmly against littering, we don't want our players to spend hours in a shopping interface emptying their backpack for a few coppers every time they leave a dungeon. It's not epic, it's not really that fun (well, outside of getting richer, that's always fun), and it completely breaks immersion. Did you ever wonder who are those traders with unlimited funds, eager to buy all the garbage you drop at their feet?

g3DB0OPf06RvcUt1M8Swc04b53z41cLuYIlnBu77.png

The rule is simple: only pick up shinies! No picking up garbage! 5 seconds rule doesn't apply!

In Solasta, each of your adventurers has a backpack and that’s it. You can carry what you have on your body slots and what fits in your backpack - the rest, you cannot take with you. Of course, you will likely come across magic containers later in the game, like the all-too-handy bag of holding - but the idea is to focus on the story, the quests, the battles... and the loot too! But only what’s of value.

That’s why our encumbrance system is fairly harsh. Each item takes some space, and while you can toss 20 daggers in your backpack, a plate armor doesn't quite fit. That's not to say we're asking you to leave a fortune worth of weapons and armors on the ground and just go "oh well too bad". We don’t want the players to feel like they’re being robbed of the loot they deserve, so... We came up with a few golden rules :

• If an enemy was carrying mundane items, you should still gain something out of it - even if you don’t carry them to a shop.
  • If an enemy was carrying superior items, you should either equip them directly or manage your backpack, even if you ended up having to discard another item.
  • Most shop owners are not filthy rich, they mostly sell mundane items. Magic items are earned, won in battle or through quests.
MdrwRpArIzoQnQwhidIkvYSsn8sJv13DCfJPnpkr.jpeg

Our intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for grabbing new Loot. *Cough*

So, how do we make it so players still benefit from loot that they can't pick up? Well, we worked out a solution for Solasta - one that fits not only the gameplay, but also the lore. Think about it - as adventurers, you go where others don’t dare to go. You enter dungeons, kill monsters, maybe even a creature that's a major threat to the region. This is the tough part - the heroic part. Collecting pelts and worn out swords isn’t - but that's not to say no one will do it. After clearing out a location, you can tell a certain faction to go and sweep the area. Sure, they will take a small fee - but hey, that's a tedious and fairly boring job (still, it's a pretty safe one). Driving their carts over, grabbing all the left-overs, finding buyers for each and every item, sharing the profit with you... You can trust them, their reputation is flawless when it comes to business. And don't worry, they won't go anywhere you didn't - so if you missed a secret room before, you can still go back to grab the treasure.

We will share more information about this faction as the Kickstarter draws near, so keep an eye out!

Zaz

Dorateen

Arcane
The inventory screenshot contains some interesting information. Garrad is listed as a Fighter (Mountaineer).

On the Solasta website, under the character details page it says this about the fighter class:

"Solasta is home to many martial traditions, including the magic-wielding spellblades, the tunnel-fighting mountaineer and the peerless champion."

Seems to suggest they are aiming for these traditions such as Spellblade, Mountaineer, and Champion, to be included as sub-classes that characters can select.

V_K

Arcane
  • Most shop owners are not filthy rich, they mostly sell mundane items. Magic items are earned, won in battle or through quests.
While this does make a lot of sense of paper, wouldn't it lead to a problem e.g. many Goldbox games have - that this way shops, and by extension - money, become completely pointless by midgame?

purpleblob

Savant
Bit surprised how hyped the Codex is with this game when hardly any info is available. I will wait for the kickstarter campaign to try out the alpha demo before making any judgement on it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That update about inventory management is pure :incline:

It is almost what I always wanted (almost because I want the backpack and belts slots to be like in UFO 1994 where it is not just number of slots but also the size that matters).

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Update is coming within 48h by mail and News, don't you worry. Seriously though Gen Con, the temperature... :(

pRsAyxw.png

Edit: Update is live :)

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.solasta-game.com/news/15-gen-con-2019-recap

GEN CON 2019 RECAP

Well folks, Gen Con was a blast. And not a piddly 1d6 Thunderclap kind of blast, we're talking about a fully decked out Eldritch Blast! (bonus to whoever comes up with the highest damage Eldritch Blast build)

VjW8m3ZZLuBeroO6BZf9yGTcpo4r7bgy061LdyiL.jpeg

You were many, many people to drop by to check on Solasta: Crown of the Magister - so many, in fact, that one of our only regrets was that we brought only two gaming laptops. Some of you came back every day until you could find an empty slot, others brought friends back (for which we're very thankful, spreading the word is extremely important for smaller game studios like us) - I also remember two fine gentlemen patiently waiting at the next table early in the morning of the third day while we were setting up the monitors.

IBHLNo1YWBMwHp0caxxFi7DOLvi3nQ1srL0AfgSR.jpeg

D&D Players, RPG Fans, Gamers... From young initiates to grizzled veterans, we saw that the community spanned across several generations. Best part? You were all as excited as we were playing the Pre-Alpha Demo.

OxnALMdfUicn9gH6oxxyXWHj54nR2iZZifV236Lm.jpeg

We also received the visit of several unannounced guests! One of our very first player was Nate, more widely known in the D&D community as WASD20 (I was so sleep-deprived that I almost didn't recognize him, sorry Nate). The wonderful Captain RoBear, largest D&D streamer (and Dungeon Master!) on Mixer, dropped by on Day 3 for a long session with Archimat, our Creative Director. We even had someone from Twitch Staff try out Solasta! (name kept private since he was here on his own) And last but not least, Andrew and Wade from D&D Beyond came to see us a few moments before we had to pack up for our flight.

YFbs0K8Yo1OGTLviBCpijK8Kn8YqS1K4LjYd3xIQ.jpeg

If you want to see more pictures from the Event (and who knows, maybe a few videos?), I invite you to head to our Forum Thread where I will be posting more on Gen Con, as well as share a few anecdotes and answer any questions you may have.

To see our game finally your hands - you, the players - made us incredibly happy. To see people coming back multiple times made us incredibly happy. To see people smile as they excitingly share their experience of the Demo made us incredibly happy. To all of you, you are awesome.

And I hope you know it!
Myzzrym

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
GenCon preview: https://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/5987/Solasta-Crown-of-the-Magister/

Solasta: Crown of the Magister

If you’ve ever been to GenCon you might wonder how video games fits into “the best four days in gaming". Sure there are a couple of rooms where you can play video and arcade games, but when you think GenCon I’m sure Dungeons and Dragons would come to mind before plumbers and koopas. However, there is still a digital presence at GenCon every year whether it’s a publisher turning their own IP into a digital format, or someone creating a new game from an existing rule set. Bad segue aside I got the opportunity to check out a developer build of Solasta: Crown of the Magister on Steam.

My time with Solasta: Crown of the Magister was accompanied by Mathieu Girard, the CEO of Tactical Adventures, and Graeme Davis, whose roles include IP Creation and Development, Narrative and Story Design, Game Writing, and Historical Research just to name a few. They were on hand to fill me in on various aspects of what I was playing and answered any questions I had. I started the demo with four characters who were asked to help find someone and right off I got a taste of what the game had to offer by simply responding to what someone said. To help me in my quest my group was offered some food as the quest would take some time (in story). Three of the four party members had responses that ranged from taking the food to not taking it for one reason or another. While this decision wasn’t too influential in the long run, Mathieu and Graeme explained that in the final build certain responses in various situations could have an effect on your standings with various groups and factions. Another point I got clarified was even though the four characters I started were “pre-gens” (characters already created), I was informed that players can choose from the pre-gens or creating their own characters.

After agreeing to help the two NPCs I ventured into an underground temple and this is where the bulk of the play session began. Your party (singularly or as a group) moves around on a grid and you can click on what square you wish to move to. This is pretty standard in games like this, but that’s only part of it. Using the mouse and the right mouse button you can rotate the camera around to get a real feel for just how big the temple is, both on a horizontal plane as well as a vertical one. Throughout my time with the demo I was not only crossing bridges and pillars I pushed over, but climbing up and down ledges, jumping over gaps, and exploring the temple on multiple levels. You can also enable a Caution mode which makes you move more slowly to help avoid enemy detection, as well as highlight traps that you can disable. Clicking on a trap before moving over it will disable it but moving over a trap will activate it and you will face the consequences.

1.jpg

I also got a taste of the combat not once, but twice. The first time was a simple battle against three spiders that came down the walls to attack me. This was in a small room so it was pretty basic, but a good introduction to the battle mechanics. If you’ve played Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition you’ll know how combat works. If not, each player will roll for Initiative and the enemies will roll as a group (so whenever a certain enemy type comes up in the Initiative order, each of that enemy type will attack one after the other before the next turn in the Initiative order). When a party member’s turn comes up they can move a certain distance (typically up to 30 ft.), attack, cast a spell if they’re a spellcaster, or take a few other types of actions. Characters can also have an advantage or disadvantage over the enemy depending on their positioning and the positioning of the enemy. The first combat with the spiders didn’t give me an opportunity to experience that, but the second encounter against several orcs did. My party all started the battle up on a ledge and the orcs couldn’t hit us. However, that also kind of meant I couldn’t hit them with standard melee attacks so I had to jump down eventually and take them out…and got one of my characters almost killed in the process.

The demo ended after the second battle (the downed character survived) and I thoroughly enjoyed it, though there were a couple of qualms I had with it. As much as I loved how they utilized the vertical space in the temple it does come with a caveat. There were times where I was trying to click on particular squares to move forward and instead the game would think I was pointing to a square on a ledge above me and if I had clicked it, my party would have started moving back up to that ledge. That could also mean if you mis-click a square above and below you and your party starts going to that square, you might accidentally move over a trap and trigger it which actually happened to me. It’s not hard to get used to but it did take me some time to do so. The other qualm is actually during combat. While you can rotate the camera 360 degrees and use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out a bit, you can’t move the camera up and down and you’re kind of locked into the same isometric vertical view. This can make it hard to see where certain enemies are in combat. Thankfully you can click on the portrait of an enemy or ally to use an action on them, but even being able to move the camera up and down a bit would have helped a bit. This could also help players see where they’re moving around to and if they’re gong to end up next to someone or something.

4.jpg

Overall though, I enjoyed my time with Solasta: Crown of the Magister. I tell my friends that I wish I had more time to play Dungeons and Dragons but between the work schedules of myself and my friends, getting time to play is a rarity. Something like Solasta is nice in that I can scratch my D&D itch in a way that prior games haven’t explored that much. Mathieu and Graeme did a great job answering any questions about the game that came to mind as I played and they informed me that the game would be hitting Kickstarter in the coming weeks. While I didn’t inquire about how much the game would cost during the Kickstarter campaign (which I’m honestly not even sure they’d be able to tell me), I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for it and hopefully down the line I’ll be able to check out the full game. If you’re a fan of D&D 5th Edition, this is one that you might also want to keep an eye out for.

* The product in this article was sent to us by the developer/company.

Also random impression on Reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/Gaming4Gam...ta_crown_of_the_magister_showed_off_early_5e/

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Party size is 4, that much is fixed. Spellblade isn't revealed yet, to be honest it was an oversight - we never intended to talk about it in the first place so I can't reveal anything about it for now^^

Sorcerers aren't in the game, but we did chat about the possibilities of adding classes during the Kickstarter Campaign, which might be the source of confusion.

> Please make party pathfinding avoid visible traps. Please...

AFAIK it works as long as there's enough room. Like if you click on a group of 4 tiles and one of them is trapped, one character will step on it. But if there's a trap on your way and there's room to walk around it, the party will avoid it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom