Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't know about the final game, but on demo, looks like you can't rest scum in solasta. So i wanna suggest fast animations for base attacks and cantrips and make this good but longer animations for abilities/spell/spell like abilities, since you will not cast a fireball every round, my guess is a fireball each 10 minutes, have a longer animation for fireball will not make the game slower. In fact, will make it feels more important than a cantrip. And since you see a lot of times of base attacks/cantrips, a fast animation can speed up the encounter and make the combat less repetitive. Just my opinion.

edit : ToEE had a option called concurrent turns, that makes enemies take turns simultaneously. Is another interesting suggestion.

Salvo

Arcane
The premise for this game is incredible! If the devs can keep the quality up throughout the entirety of the game's length it will definetely be something worth playing.

Hope's up!

Elex

Arbiter
You aren't the first guy who asked for that, I have to see with the team but it's actually quite hard to make animations speed up without screwing up all the rest (audio desync or sounds weird, etc etc). I also play a lot of Tactical RPG and I love when I can accelerate animations, especially when it's like my 2nd or 3rd playthrough I JUST WANT TO TO FINISH THAT GOD DAMN RANDOM ENCOUNTER.
what about skipping all? i mean like "i play with miniatures"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2674228

Dev Journal | November 2019 - Goodbye Telema!

1e6f5ac2e1939b3a660b517a372e45de_original.png

Hello there folks!

It's been quite some time since we last showed you what's going on behind the scenes, hasn't it? Worry not - I have you covered. So, what have we been up to since the end of our Kickstarter campaign?

Before we get there, a little update about Kickstarter. We're still on track with our Pledge Manager CrowdOx, which will open later this month. This is where you'll be able to redeem your rewards when the game goes live, as well as give your input on your Limited Rewards such as "Name an NPC" or "Name a Landmark". Also remember that we are not posting every single Development Update and/or article on Kickstarter to avoid spamming everyone, so if you're interested in following Solasta's development more closely make sure that you're following us on Steam or have an account on our Official Forums!

Important Note: As a reminder, everything you're about to see is Work In Progress! That means some of it may look clunky, janky, broken, empty, ugly - and even if it does look "okay" or pretty good, it's not final (so it will look even better in the final game)! Also the design is not final, so things may work differently once the game goes live.

Main City
There's one question that has been asked quite a few times during our Kickstarter: "Is Solasta a pure dungeon crawling game?" If you've been following our updates, you'd likely know the answer is no! We actually just started working on the main city - which will remain unnamed for now as we don't want to spoil too much. We're still evaluating how much of it will be open for you to visit, we'd hate to pour too much time into that and end up having to cut other locations as a consequence. For those of you out there who are wondering - yes, there will be a tavern, for what's a city without one!

3c28cd155ff6638a1c10e261bb6f3ecf_original.png

Now throw in some NPCs, add some alcohol, a player party. Baby, you got a brawl going.

Campaign Introduction
It's no secret that most games nowadays need tutorials to ensure that the player understands how the game works. This could be as simple as pointing out elements in the UI (for instance, many people complained they couldn't find the "Rest" button in the Demo), or as complex as explaining the rules of combat to someone unfamiliar with the tabletop ruleset (Action, Bonus Action, Reaction...). So, in order to do that without boring our future players to tears, we've been working on including those during our Campaign Introduction Levels!

f236645e2f16b2bd5a6e8ddb4f04e7e3_original.png

The prison we showed before is in fact one of the Campaign Introduction Levels!

Game Design

There's quite a lot we still need to refine in terms of rules and how everything works in Solasta. For instance, we've been working on Design Documents on two significant topics that weren't part of the Demo: Traveling & Random Encounters. What is revealed on the World Map (more on that later!) and what isn't? How do you travel to undiscovered locations? How do other RPGs handle traveling? This is but a tiny glimpse into the mass of questions we have to find answers to when we put a design onto paper in order to avoid wasting time coding something and realizing afterwards that... well, it just doesn't work (or it does, but it's not fun).

Other topics we've been tackling include climbing (how high can you climb? What affects the DC?), sleight of hand (can it be used for something other than stealing? What happens if you get caught?), rethinking the inventory system again (by the end of the project I think fingers won't be enough to count how many times we've revamped the inventory) and... Party Banter! (Kickstarter Stretch Goal)

112e862b209b930022a3eaf4f1f6e86d_original.png

Hope you brought some good climbing equipment! (Mock-up Image)

Tools & Gadgets
Tools and what now? When you're creating a level, you need tools and gadgets to do what you want. Sometimes, it's something as simple as saying "This door can be lockpicked" or "When I activate this lever, I want that door to open"... but the simple things are often the most crucial ones! So, our Programmers make sure that our Level Designers get what they need - as once they make the gadget, our Level Designers can use it as much as they want. Now some of you might already have an inkling of a larger picture here... If I said modding, would that help?

Wait wait wait, what does this have to do with modding? Well, if and when we release modding tools, we want people to be able to easily make more dungeons and levels - and that's where all these tools & gadgets come in. Everything we add for our Level Designers, we want Modders to be able to use it later on.

19ff01b1c726b92792a92f7659437a3d_original.gif

A retractable door? And I get to troll my companions with it? Oh boy!

Invisible Work
Designers & Artists often get to show off their work with pretty screenshots and gifs, but Programmers? They work in the shadows, carefully biding their time before they can finally OVERTHROW THE TYRANNY OF... Sorry where was I? Ah yes, Programmers. Among other things that you cannot see, but are very important, they've been making improvements on all types of movement (Jumping, Climbing, Crawling...). Because yes, even little things like your character going prone to crawl through a duct automatically when you click on it needs some programming love behind it. Otherwise you'd be stuck with manually having to tell your character to go prone, then crawl, and then manually telling your character to stand back up. Ugh.

Fun fact, our CEO also implemented Character Creation! If you remember the Kickstarter Update where we showed you a sneak peek, back then everything was on paper - now we can actually create a character in-game.

68717cd9bc525371f500187e75ee39ba_original.png

Either our QA Lead is extremely lucky, or she's been using weighted dice.

Art Direction - Research
Some things in life are just unfair. Like your car refusing to start in the morning when you're already late, your colleague taking the last bag of tea right before you, or that guy getting a better roll on that item you've been trying to get for weeks. Another thing that's unfair is how good our Art Director's work looks compared to all the other images that show up in this Development Update. Without further ado, let me share his research work on Incantation Circles that will appear when you cast spells. He's also been working on a runic alphabet which we'll keep to ourselves for now.

c5a58f5462184911f15dd66d213f0800_original.png

We'll show you the rest of it at a later date

Character Models
You know what's the best thing about getting a new Race thanks to Kickstarter? We get to show more cool pictures from our Art Team. Here is some concept art for the Half-Elf (Man & Woman), from which our 3D Artist will create the future in-game models.

72031af376953fa85eba7037d68ad125_original.png

We might end up reworking our Elves a bit to further differentiate Half-Elves from Elves

Of course that's not the only thing they've been working on - we've moved forward on quite a few topics, such as adding new haircuts to see how they interact with Character Creation and various hats / helmets, or finally getting our Dwarves some fabulous bushy beards. On a side note, you wouldn't believe all the wonderful things you can do by duplicating beards to cover various part of the body. We've spent a very productive morning laughing over screenshots sent by our Graphic Programmer. More seriously, we've also done research and concept arts on the outfits of the common folks of Solasta - yes, NPCs need clothes too, who would have imagined?

70b3ddf12e08a32cc7d87d9e8e8b8f6b_original.png

Finally some good facial hair!

VFX
Tired of reading yet? Well, let's end this month's Dev Journal with some VFX. Remember how spellcasting used to look in the Demo? Well, prepare to be amazed! Reminder, this is still a work in progress. You might notice there's a lot of flashy effects for Burning Hands, so the "base version" (spell slot level 1) might be a little less grandiose in the final game. You can click on the GIFs to watch the high-resolution MP4 video instead.

Roasting some spiders with Burning Hands

Reaction - Casting Shield

Reaction - Casting Featherfall

There's a ton of additional work we haven't covered in this Dev Journal, such as Environmental Research & Modelling, Animations and Cutscenes improvements - but I believe this article is already long enough, so we'll talk about these another time! Don't hesitate to drop by our Discord Server or Official Forums to discuss everything Solasta.

Cheers!

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.solasta-game.com/news/47-lore-chronicles-the-eastern-realms

LORE CHRONICLES - THE EASTERN REALMS

Town-pinned.jpg

By Heironymus Shearwater, Loremaster of the Guild of Antiquarians

ORIGINS AND HISTORY
The nations that border on the Marches developed out of the Outer Provinces of the Manacalon Empire. After the Cataclysm, all that remained of the Empire was the devastation of the Badlands and the anarchy of the Marches. With the Empire’s central authority gone, each outer province was forced to fend for itself, and each responded in a different way.

The Eastern Realms, as they are sometimes called, consist of the Principality of Masgarth, the Snow Alliance, the Kingdom of Gallivan, and the New Empire. Each is home to one of the organizations that sit on the Legacy Council, and it is this shared approach to Badlands exploration that distinguishes them from the nations further west.

THE PRINCIPALITY OF MASGARTH
Called simply “the Principality” by its own people, this land is centered around the great city of Caer Cyflen, where the Legacy Council is based. The Principality commands a recently discovered route through the mountains to the Badlands, which is by far the easiest and safest route known. This has given the Principality a strategic position and the potential for a virtual monopoly on Manacalon antiquities, which has drawn covetous glances from its three neighbors.

For centuries, a fragile balance was maintained by skillful diplomacy, as no one neighbor dared try to conquer the Principality for fear of reprisals from the other two. As this new route was discovered, the Legacy Council was founded to ensure that all of the Eastern Realms had equal access to recovered antiquities and ancient knowledge. While the Council is made up of delegates from scholarly institutions, it is no accident that each delegation comes from one of the four Eastern Realms, and it is well known that their respective governments take a keen, if unofficial, interest in their doings.

The current ruler of the Principality is Her Royal Highness, Princess Ceiwad Silverflower. Descended from the Imperial governors of the province, she is young and considered flighty by some; fortunately, she is served by a Privy Council of experienced and capable officials, which does not bother her with the petty details of day-to-day government.

The Circle of Danantar is better known for training spellblades than for serious scholarship. The Princess herself is an enrolled member of the Circle and sits on the Legacy Council as a member of its delegation, but her membership is a matter of courtesy rather than merit.

THE SNOW ALLIANCE
Exceptional in that it was never conquered by the Manacalon Empire, the Snow Alliance is a loose confederation of small mountain cantons. While they are quick to unite in the face of any external threat, each community maintains its own traditions, rules its own lands, and minds its own business. Its nominal capital is at Valkarokkupun, ("White Rock City" in the snow dwarf dialect), where a council of elders meets on an occasional basis to discuss matters of mutual interest.

The society of the Snow Alliance is clannish but egalitarian. All are treated equally under the law, regardless of race, birth, or other factors. Wealth is respected as a measure of success, but personal ability and integrity are respected more. Snow dwarves form the majority of the population, followed by humans and sylvan elves: other races are rare.

The Snow Alliance is home to the Guild of Antiquarians, a scholarly organization dedicated to recovering and studying the remains of the Manacalon Empire and pre-Imperial times. Under the leadership of Chancellor Hertha Gormsdottir, the Guild has become a respected member of the Legacy Council.

THE KINGDOM OF GALLIVAN
The Kingdom takes its name from the Gallivan, or Ash River, which brings most of the Kingdom’s wealth through trade. After the Cataclysm, the Imperial province of Gualafyn collapsed into a patchwork of small city-states as local warlords vied for power, but they soon realized that their only hope of survival lay in unity. The King of Gallivan is not a hereditary ruler, and upon his death the nobles will meet to choose a successor from among themselves.

The Tower of Knowledge is represented on the Legacy Council, and after the Guild of Antiquarians it may be the most learned organization in the world.

THE NEW EMPIRE
Alone of all the Imperial governors, Lerithir Imradir managed to keep control of his province in the wake of the Cataclysm. He crowned himself the first Emperor of the New Empire, vowing that he and his successors would reconquer the lost provinces and establish a new Imperial age.

The New Empire is founded on the same harsh rule as the old, with high elves in charge and all other races reduced to servitude. The dreaded agents of the Silent Whisper gather intelligence and arrest those who step out of line, while the Arcaneum, which sends representatives to the Legacy Council, is regarded as the best school of magic in the world.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
This game, Realms Beyond, Encased and Stoneshard are shaping up to be amazing rpgs. Can't wait for them to release.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got my Solasta CrowdOx email.

Q: Where did you first find out about Solasta: Crown of the Magister?
A: Saw it on a Video Game Website (IGN, PCGamer...)

Q: What is your favorite game among the following list?
A: Pre-2005 D&D Games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, ToEE...)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2689327

Pledge Manager is live! Check your mails!

Note: If you haven't read it already, don't miss out on our Dev Update #2!

Pledge Manager - CrowdOx Surveys are out!
For all you Backers out there, we've just sent the Pledge Manager surveys today! Make sure you check your mails, including your spam folder if you can't find it - for those with multiple mailboxes, it's the one linked to your Kickstarter Account. You should have received a mail from CrowdOx giving you a link to your personal survey - this is where you'll be able to redeem your Kickstarter rewards, as well as where you'll be able to input your address if you have physical rewards - so make sure you fill it out properly!

If there is any Limited Rewards in your Pledge Level, it means you will need to fill in a special form or send us a mail! Everything should be explained inside the survey. While you don't have to answer those right now (in case you need some time to think about it), you can always go back to the survey to change your answer... until end of January 2020. So don't wait too long!

For those of you who didn't or couldn't back us on Kickstarter, you can still go to CrowdOx to grab some physical goods! Available for a limited time are the Solasta Campaign Rulebook, the Solasta Adventure Box and the Solasta Original Soundtrack on Vinyl Records. Just head to the Add-On Shop!

Pledge Manager - Add-Ons Update
Solasta Adventure Box: We have decided to remove the Notepad from the Adventure Box as it was heavily increasing the weight of the Adventure Box, increasing the cost of shipping for backers while not really bringing any significant value. As a compensation, we have decided to double the length of the short adventure booklet (depending on the format of the booklet we aim to reach 20+ pages of adventure alone, not counting rules and pre-generated characters on top.

Solasta Campaign Rulebook: Unfortunately we won't be able to print the Standard Edition of the Solasta Campaign Rulebook - the only physical version available will be the Kickstarter Edition. This is due to a number of reasons, such as quantities being too low for printing and the increasing complexity when adding more items to track - at the end of the day our main focus is to deliver Solasta: Crown of the Magister in time with the highest quality possible, and we do not wish to endanger that because of Physical Add-Ons. Not to worry, the rest of the physical goods have already been scoped (since they were part of Kickstarter Pledges), only the Standard Edition of the Rulebook which was Add-On only has been removed.

fdba3b5fc5f71a9b02bf3adf0ffe9045_original.png

Standard Edition of the Campaign Rulebook no longer available, Notepad removed from Adventure Box, Adventure length doubled.
If you have an Adventure Box in your pledge or have added extra funds to your Kickstarter Pledge to get a Solasta Campaign Rulebook and are not satisfied with these changes, please contact us at contact@tactical-adventures.com - we totally understand.

Pledge Manager - The Big FAQ
  • What is CrowdOx? CrowdOx gives you the opportunity to verify your reward, make your selections (i.e. choose a color, size, etc) as well as verify and validate your shipping address. On top of all that, you can also upgrade your pledge level or add additional items to your existing pledge!
  • Do I need to make a CrowdOx Account?You do not need to make a login and password in order to access your survey as you will receive an email with a unique link. If you want to go back to review your info, simply click on the link in your email again.
  • I can't find my survey email! The personalized link was emailed to the address that you provided when making your pledge. Be sure to check your spam folder. If you have lost your survey email, you can get it sent back to you on CrowdOx.
  • I added extra funds to my pledge to buy Add-Ons, how do I use my credit? When you open up your survey, it will open on the reward level that you pledged in. You can either upgrade to a higher reward level using the funds you have or you will see your credit on the Extras page where you can select from the various items.
  • I have moved, how do I edit my address? You can go back into your survey at any time to update your address before we start shipping. Once we are ready to prepare your order for shipment, we will lock the order at which point you will not be able to edit your address (don't worry, you'll get a reminder by email before that).
  • I still have questions, help! We got you, drop us your questions on our Official Forums or ask the Solasta Community for help on Discord!
Dev Update #2
As a reminder, we're also publishing a Dev Update on our Website every 2 weeks! If you're curious and want to see more of Solasta, make sure to check out the article!

Adventurers by day, dancers by night.

Friendly Shout-Out: NAMIJI
We all love to sit down and play some video games, or gather some friends for a session of tabletop RPG. But you know what else we love? A good board game. From the good folks who brought you Tokaido comes NAMIJI, a beautiful looking board game where you get to play Japanese fishers in search of epic loo... Uh, fishes. A good way to take a break after smashing one too many orc skulls.

I mean just look at it, aren't those widdle liddle boats just adorable?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.solasta-game.com/news/48-dev-update-2-dungeons-dwarves

DEV UPDATE #2 - DUNGEONS & DWARVES!

Hello folks!
As promised, we're back with our biweekly Dev Update to give you some visibility on what's going on behind closed doors. If you haven't read it already, you can find our first Dev Update over there! But first, a little message for our backers.

Pledge Manager - CrowdOx Surveys are out, make sure you read this article to avoid any issues later on! And now, onto our Dev Update!

Important Note: As a reminder, everything you're about to see is Work In Progress! That means some of it may look clunky, janky, broken, empty, ugly - and even if it does look "okay" or pretty good, it's not final (so it will look even better in the final game)! Also the design is not final, so things may work differently once the game goes live.

Main City

When you think city, you think... well, many things depending on the person, I'm sure. Our Concept Artists have started working on houses & shops to populate the as-of-yet empty streets of our main city - it's going to be bustling with life in the end, and you'll get to see it progress at our side! As a reminder for those who may not be too familiar with the process of video game development, it is always possible that some ideas you see as concept art won't be making it into the final game - whether it is because of time constraint, technical requirements, not fitting with the art direction... Still, enjoy some of our houses, it's... on the house! (Please don't hit me.)

KdWUt7jL2dOxcjDp02pAUdelBS5XxbAULAslFxrQ.png

No, you can't roll initiative to start a fight with me. I don't care how lame that was, that's not how it works.

Level Building

I hope you studied the source material we covered last time and know exactly what Level Building is! No? Anyone? No one? You can't just keep blaming failed skill checks on the dice rolls you know, at some point the Game Master is going to notice. Anyway, our Level Builder has been working on some levels that we're not quite yet ready to fully reveal, but that we can already tease as they're being made!

zNx6CW7gkUXWbyOTeJWGQ0qb70cIf7wsYQ6TYZfz.png

It would be a shame if these ladders were to... Remind me, are you proficient in Acrobatics? No reason, just asking.

Art Direction - World Map Research

We briefly talked about it during our last Development Update, our Art Director is currently (among other tasks) working on a visual for our World Map, that will be used to travel from location to location. We're still very early in this topic, so there may be a lot of changes coming up!

Cl0xxwrqsfXPOLzqdoIz4jlFLQT4bIKP8isB3DIb.png

Welcome to Solasta, the temperature outside is currently 22°C and we hope you enjoyed flying with TA Airlines.

Character Models - Dwarf

Our bushy bearded friend is making his debut in Solasta! We've made some tests to see if our current clothes could fit by morphing them to size, and it turns out he's quite handsome when fully clothed. Please give a warm round of welcome to our Dwarven brothers!

nIpSAq6toXfB9VE2xOmJ9wzUBP0d0s8vsjl6fLTL.gif

Adventurers by day, dancers by night.

Equipment

Anyone here hates loot? Alright, security please grab this imposter and throw him out. Who in their right mind hates loot? Are you telling me that there are some adventurers out there who aren't just a bundle of greed? Wait, saving the world? When did that come into the equation? Anyway, we've been working on adding more equipment - and by we, I meant our Concept Artists. Here is but a fraction of what has been produced during these few weeks - and if you're a weapon lover, keep an eye out on our Twitter Account during December! We'll be doing a little Advent Calendar of our own.

4TYp1Fh9iDEeBSiXZs8KYulNFqvoALlPhZfmJstg.png

Reminder that not everything you see in Concept Art pictures may make it to the final game, and that's normal!

Environment

I remember watching a video of someone playing the Demo during Kickstarter, and going "that's some good-looking door!". It made me very happy, because people often focus on the story, the gameplay, the characters (and there's nothing wrong with that)... but you rarely get any comment on the environment, the little details here and there. Hidden somewhere at our Artists' Table is our 3D Artist, who's been making all kind of contraptions for our Level Builder to use. Walls, floors, pillars, doors, banners, decorations... everything that brings a level to life instead of being a bland combat area that looks just like the previous one.

FHHbVhWnH82hh8uVMwJ9hqGkNFhbMRDCIe48zRgW.png

I wouldn't be sure, but I do believe it has something to do with the door. The locked door? The one you tried to open by force?

Spell VFX

We'll close this Dev Update with another round of Spell VFX. Before that, we want to correct something we said in the previous update - while we originally wanted the visual effects to scale with the level of the spell, after further scoping this may not be possible depending on the priority of other features - the usual hurdles of Game Development! That means the effects we've shown in our previous Dev Update may be toned down, since these were low level spells (remember, we're still very early in alpha so things will change a lot). But enough of that, check out Spare the Dying and Inflict Wounds!

Inflict Wounds Spell Effect

Spare the Dying Spell Effect

I hope you liked what you saw! As usual, don't hesitate to head to our Official Forums or Discord Server to talk about everything Solasta. Dev Update #3 will be back in two weeks!

Tactical Myzzrym

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It might be hybris but it's hard for me to see how this could be a total dud - if it gets released, that is

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So wait, Myzzrym, are these Dev Updates the same thing as the monthly recaps you said you were going to publish to Kickstarter? The first one was cross-posted to Kickstarter as the November 2019 "Dev Journal", but this one wasn't.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
We do 1 Dev Update every 2 weeks, but only 1 post per month on Kickstarter to avoid spamming. Pledge Manager and Physical Item stuff is the exception because people need to know asap, but otherwise our Kickstarter Updates will be recaps of the articles we posted during the previous month.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Hey there folks,

The Solasta Campaign on RPG Codex is over! Thanks to you we raised an additional $780, which is always appreciated (time to buy myself a new gaming chair). On a more serious note, you should have received an invitation from CrowdOx if you participated in this campaign. For those who already backed us on Kickstarter before, I have added funds to your already existing account (and you should have received a mail from us to confirm that). Note that we used your Paypal email addresses (in case you're checking your RPG Codex email).

Hopefully there won't be any issues but if there are, just ping me right here I'll be around. Once again thanks a ton guys.

I'll end this message with a little gem I received on Twitter sometimes ago:
gdhTwSE.png

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
One fear that i have is. All martial content that i an seeing on the game is "male" and all casting content female. Will be classes gender locked? Please. No....

Oh lord no. No no no no no. It just so happens that our oldest model is Garrad (the human fighter), so we usually default to using him when making gifs internally. Case in point, here is our spellcast animation - it's Garrad as well:

iwH6w8CuDtjb1HMQNlWWOXNZfHW40n9nWskRCw3O.gif

No class is gender locked. I'll ask our guys to make some gifs with female characters next time, so we get a little more gender equality^^

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Here's the full article from the above tweet. Good stuff: https://www.solasta-game.com/news/50-tldr-7-a-primer-on-animating-solasta

TL;DR #7: A primer on animating Solasta

Hello there folks! We're back with... TL;DR? What is this nonsense? Well, we thought that having two different type of articles named "Dev Diary" and "Dev Update" might be a little confusing, so we decided to rename "Dev Diary" into "TL;DR". As a reminder, "Dev Update" articles present the work we do on Solasta on a bi-weekly basis, while "Dev Diary / TL;DR" focus on a particular topic - like Game Design, or in today's article, Animation.

If I had to name one person as a reliable source of entertainment in our studio, it would be Grégoire - our Lead Animator - for he truly is a mystery. On one hand, he is a one-man army who constantly produces high quality, buttery smooth animations at an incredible speed. On the other, he regularly unleashes cosmic horrors upon the rest of the team for his own amusement (...and ours too, let's not lie about it). Just check the gif at the end of the article, you'll see what I mean.

Ci1XGNDIJKRZsojI2Kytig1dvR5IGFj7ydekfzpZ.gif

Now that's a face you wouldn't want to see in a dark alley.

I, therefore, decided to sit down and have a chat with him to learn more about his secrets. What does an Animator do at Tactical Adventures? TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read) at the bottom. Note: I am by no means an expert in animation, so this is a simplified look - there are tons of tasks he's taking care of, we will be focusing on the most common ones.

Rigging

In order to make a character in Solasta, you usually go through several major steps: Concept Art (2D), High-Poly Model (3D), Low-Poly Model (3D)... But that's not the focus of today's article. Point is, when our 3D Artist provides a complete 3D Character Model to our Lead Animator, there is still a lot to be done. Unless you plan on having this character be stuck in a T-pose somewhere and not moving - ever - you will need to do some rigging.

YtqnY3fa8YXv04aLAfTtvkkLQG2H5nO4oHMhDFSE.gif

Wow, imagine all the microtransactions we could sell with those sweet moves (that was a joke, put down the pitchforks).

To put it simply, rigging would be like creating the skeleton of the character. For example, if you have bones for the arms but not the hands, you character will never be able to form a fist or open his hand. Some rigs can be quite basic, like rigging a bow so that the bowstring can be pulled to let the arrow fly - while others can be extremely complex, like a character's face in cinematic games with facial motion capture (such as in Detroit: Become Human). Rule of thumb is, if it's animated, it was rigged beforehand - no matter if it's a character or an object.

eH7uLthG9uznZ4h3G67jDSWFyL7UpYIPCJAorNBZ.gif

Thankfully, these bows don't break - otherwise I'm pretty sure we'd be ordering a replacement as we speak.

A proper rig is key in order to achieve smooth and complex animations, so it's a very important step. On top of that, one has to keep in mind all the technical constraints that come with the game - are we running a pre-rendered scene, in which case we can have very elaborate rigs because performance is much less of an issue? Is it real time rendering, in which case how many characters are shown on the screen at all times?

These are but a few questions from a long list that will impose restrictions on the number of bones allowed in a single rig (again, think skeleton). Going back to our previous example, maybe that character doesn't really need bones for his hands. Maybe he's a brawler who will always appear on screen with his fists clenched, ready to fight. On the other hand, creating very different rigs for each character can also be very time consuming - so even if he doesn't need his hands animated, he might still have a rig with hand bones included. There's a very delicate balance between the time needed to create custom rigs, the quality of animation we want to achieve, and optimizing the game so it doesn't run like a wizard who rolled a 1 on Athletics.

Animating

So we've got our Character all rigged up! Now let's start churning out animations. 3D Animation shares a lot of similarity with 2D Animation: you focus on creating keyframes - in this case, the most important moments that define your animation - and the software does the inbetweens to smooth it out (although in traditional 2D animation, inbetweens would often be drawn by hand by more junior animators).

s6FpVcsCTeZIISa0ZxuLTmfAIhCMq8tfEYQGBRH6.gif

1st pass (Keyframes only) - Rough intentions

inMoZmjpRs36fwVrq9Zs3jSBA0sagCl1WJXpB1wJ.gif

3rd pass (Keyframes only) - Additional keyframes to improve the animation

The quality of the animation will heavily depend on the keyframes - their quality, but also their quantity. Having too few keyframes will often lead to some very strange looking (or even completely absurd) animations.

iKUucP27CzbTzKIeqdfjYTJ6gG9vqBykDhjvB9YE.gif

1st pass - Animation with inbetweens. It looks very floaty and wrong because there are too few keyframes.

LaynokzrAP9BdPL4UrprqqXbSD37OKoyuYWawAmv.gif

3rd pass - Animation with inbetweens. The spider now looks much more threatening and energetic.

On the other hand, creating too many keyframes means you're spending a lot of time on a single animation set. Is it really THAT important to open a chest with style, when you know there's a ton of work to be done? Climbing, walking, flying, jumping, talking, sitting, attacking with a spear, attacking with a sword, dagger, bow, crossbow, axe, etc etc... Turns out you really need A LOT of animations to make a game. But wait a moment, you think. Wouldn't it be cool to add a special animation for critical hits? That's just one more animation in the middle of so many, right?

1eJyMJkOMYbM0lCZfayNXGlF9zCcprukx4n4JvVx.gif

Come on and slam, and welcome to the jam!

This is when you have to start thinking about time - how many animations can we possibly make without putting our release date at risk? That cool "crit" animation wouldn't work the same on every weapon, so you would need to add as many variants as there are weapons... In a game like Solasta where there is a large choice of weaponry, that small "cool idea" suddenly becomes a large timesink. Not that I'm saying we won't have cool ideas - our backlog is full of it. You can bet that we'll do our best to bring you an immersive and beautiful game!

KFRn0Xt0kVcC4qoFybAPrbUv7k0YWvXhElWZnNCA.gif

"What are you gonna do, stab me?" - Dead character after failing his Intimidation Roll

Integrating

The last part is integrating all of these into the game. Integration both means that you add the character in-game so that others may use it (like the game designer who needs to put monsters for an encounter, or an NPC for a quest...), and plugging the different "gameplay actions" to the animations (so that clicking on attack while you hold a sword activates the sword attack animation).

Ya202xLb413pteJF8ng3xtXZwT1hITSN3B1OnGTs.gif

Here you can see that the running animation changes depending on speed and inclination (stairs)

This last part can often lead to fairly entertaining results when mistakes are made, such as having the rogue smashing his dagger on someone's head as if he held a hammer, tiny spiders jumping to climb stairs instead of crawling up, or Violet using an orc's face rig. Except that last one was on purpose, and it was less entertaining and more terrifying.

fXMxKsQyTiqLsRZBJcqPOrx9tjXeQqMqp435CIDx.gif

And that's why every party needs a Cleric. To keep these abominations away.

Et voilà! I hope you enjoyed reading this week's article on animation, and if you did go @Halfling on our Discord Server to shower him with love. And do tell us in the comments, what animation are you most interested in seeing? We'll share it on our Social Media when we have it ready!

d9qqgSziQMaPvwXTufk4twDnVTKKQxdD2ASUtwGi.gif

Article's over, time to head out. It's beer o'clock.

TL;DR: Animator puts bones in 3D model, like skeleton. Makes it move. Tells game to show correct move when player clicks button. Makes funny gif otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom