Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Somehow they received government money that apparently covers the budget "necessary for the preproduction and production phases, until the launch of its first game": https://presse.bpifrance.fr/bpifran...elargissement-de-son-champ-dinterventionnbsp/

Google translate:

Bpifrance enters the capital of Tactical Adventures and thus marks the widening of its field of intervention

Tactical Adventures, an independent video game studio, announces an initial fundraiser from Bpifrance, a minority shareholder, as part of the production launch of its first title. Through this investment, Bpifrance marks the opening of its Creative Industries division to video games. This fundraising is part of the dynamic of consolidation of a recognized team of experienced creative and technical talents and built around its iconic founder, Mathieu Girard. This partnership will allow the young studio to benefit from the financial base necessary for the preproduction and production phases, until the launch of its first game, for the moment not announced.

Less than a year after its creation, Tactical Adventures, based in Paris, has already recruited all of its main team, and is confident in its pace of production of a tactical role-playing game with innovative gameplay, inspired by game mechanics proven and a strong will for the player.

With many years of experience in launching successful video games Mathieu Girard aims to bring together all the elements to maintain his creative vision, the preservation of its publication independence, and the assurance of producing "passion projects" "Ambitious, by and for users of demanding role-playing games.

Mathieu Girard, President and Major Partner of TACTICAL ADVENTURES: "It is a chance and an honor to welcome Bpifrance to our company. Their team has demonstrated its interest and understanding of the video game industry, and they will be crucial partners in our project. "

"We are proud to be part of this new adventure brought by Mathieu Girard, an experienced, committed, and clear-sighted founder of the industry, who benefits from both a track record of successful game production and a very strong first a great entrepreneurial success that has allowed us to quickly unite a very high quality team " says Isabelle Ginestet-Naudin, Director of Bpifrance's Creative Industries Department . " This investment marks the opening of the video games segment within the Creative Industries division of Bpifrance. It results from the in-depth work carried out within the ecosystem of the sector as part of the prospective approach of Bpifrance ".

mondblut

Arcane
It's not dead, Jim?

In b4 the french gubmint goes through the game with a fine comb, looking for any crimethink and unrealistic standarts for women or something.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Officially announced. Solasta: Crown of the Magister, party-based, turn-based RPG with vertical explorations (flying and climbing!) and environmental interactions. Sounds very cool!

Coming to Kickstarter soon.

https://www.solasta-game.com/

Created and written by lifelong fans of pen-and-paper games and utilizing the 5th edition ruleset, comes Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

Bring the authentic Tabletop gaming experience to your PC!
Roll for initiative, take attacks of opportunity, manage player location and the verticality of the battle field. Set yourself up for the finishing strike and possibly roll a natural 20 at that key moment of battle.

In Solasta, you take control of four heroes, each with unique skills that complement one another. Every hero expresses themselves in the adventure, making each action and dialog choice a dynamic part to the story. Players will create their heroes just as they would in a pen-and-paper game choosing their race, class, personality and rolling for their stats.

You make the choices, dice decide your destiny.

TelemaClimb.gif

Key Features:
  • An Epic Team Adventure.
    Discover the shattered world of Solasta: explore ruins and dungeons for legendary treasures, learn the truth of an age-old cataclysm - and stop it from happening again.

Create your very own party of adventurers with our Character Creation Tool in the classic tabletop RPG tradition. Breathe life into your heroes, and see their personalities reflected in their dialogue. Tailor your squad to your preferred strategy and maximizes your party's abilities. The choice is yours.

• Discover a Mysterious & Dynamic World.
    Delve into long forgotten dungeons to unearth ancient artifacts, but stay watchful of light and darkness: many dangers hide in the dark, but a light can attract monsters. Some enemies have darkvision, some may flee from your torch... Successful adventurers will learn to use it to their advantage.

Fight monsters in squad-level, turn-based, tactical combat. Solasta's dynamic environment offers some interesting tactical options. Bridges can collapse, leaving enemies stranded and vulnerable. Walls and columns can be pushed over - on top of your foes, if you do it right. The world is your playground.

• Prepare to Think in Three Dimensions.
    The dungeons in Solasta are more than flat game-boards. Climb, jump, or fly around obstacles. Evade or surprise foes from above or below. Push them into chasms or drop things on their heads. Position yourself on high grounds to start the fight with an advantage.

Size also matters. Escape through narrow passages where bigger enemies won't fit and crawl through tunnels to find secret areas. Take advantage of the environment to find cover suited to your own size. Watch out, though - the monsters are also thinking vertically.

• True to the Tabletop.
    Based on the 5e ruleset of the world's most popular tabletop RPG, Solasta: Crown of the Magister brings back the thrill, tactics, and deep storytelling of tabletop games.

As you play, you'll feel yourself reaching for your dice and miniatures. It's time to dive into the world of Solasta. Roll for initiative!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorateen

Arcane
Players will create their heroes just as they would in a pen-and-paper game

Create your very own party of adventurers with our Character Creation

Hell, yeah! A party of six would be better, but four is doable. Already shaping up to be better than Baldur's Gate 3.

From the video:

"To us, a good table top game treats all players as equal. The party is not one hero and his followers."

These guys get it.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From the website:

solasta-gameinfo-gameinfo-table.png

And from the trailer:

OV1xXWS.jpg

Solasta: Crown of the Magister embraces the ruleset of the world’s greatest role-playing game where a player’s choice dynamically changes the adventure. The journey begins with creating a team of four explorers, selecting their race, class, background story, rolling for abilities and personal stats. Players will journey through the mystical realms of Solasta, unraveling a story that spans multiple worlds.

The dynamic and mysterious world of Solasta features brand new elements of verticality, allowing players to use their surroundings as an element of strategy. Position ranged characters on high vantage points or send your thief down into shafts and caverns to scope out what’s ahead. Utilize light as a tool to explore the depths and hollows of dungeons or use it as a weapon against the creatures of the dark. Solasta is a unique team-based adventure where each character plays a critical role in the campaign and can be a hero. Players must take advantage of each character’s strengths and weaknesses if they are to succeed.

Players will have the opportunity to get in on the adventure before it even starts when Tactical Adventures launches its Kickstarter campaign at the end of summer. Players will be able to back Solasta: Crown of the Magister on Kickstarter and link arms with the developers, joining the Solasta community and being rewarded for doing so!

“Tactical Adventures is a small team comprised of Tabletop gamers, many of whom have been playing pen and paper games as well as D&D videogames for over 30 years,” says Mathieu Girard, founder of Tactical Adventures and Creative Director of the game. “We have always dreamed of creating our own game, so we set out to create Solasta, taking the best elements of our favorite games and enhancing and building upon them. Additionally, we have added new features such as light, verticality, team-based adventure, dice rolls, etc. We are using the actual rulesets from Tabletop games to finally bridge the gap between Pen and Paper and videogames.”

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks interesting. I hope the verticality guff is consistently applied and not just a gimmick.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, a playable demo is coming "soon":

From their forums, someone asked:

"Do you want to use turn-based combat or 'classical' system?"

Turn-based combat is the classical system.

Community manager answered: https://forums.solasta-game.com/replies/13

The game is going to be turn-based. We wanted to stay more faithful to the Tabletop feeling of D&D, where everyone takes turn according to initiative order. With our current system, it is unfortunately not so easy to allow the player to choose between RTWP & Turn-base

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some bits from the forums and Discord:

- Class / Races: If you look at our website (https://www.solasta-game.com/game/characters) we currently have 4 classes / races available. However, it is very likely that we will add more depending on Community Feedback - these are the races and classes that we are guaranteed to have no matter what.
Engine: Unity
Modding: It's something we'd love to add, but it's a huge workload (we've actually discussed a lot about it) so we don't want to promise anything. We want to focus on the quality of the main game first and foremost.
- Dungeons or Open World: We'll reveal more of that later^^

Hmmm let's manage expectation here, we're nowhere large enough to stand on Baldur's Gate level^^

We're a studio of around 15 people, not 800 :p

At the moment it's still a bit early for us for that, but GOG definitively NOT off the table^^ We do want to have as many people be able to play the game as possible

https://forums.solasta-game.com/replies/6

There is a town planned. More about that later though :)

"a town"

Sounds like this will be very much focused, carefully scoped RPG as this is their first production, probably something like "a game about traversing brown-colored vertical dungeons." :cool:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From forums:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1096530/discussions/0/1642041106350932770/#c1642041106353553667

D&D OGL => Open Game License => We're indeed not licensed by WotC, it's not a secret^^

How faithful to D&D 5e => As much as possible. Our CEO / Creative Director / Lead Programmer has been playing D&D weekly for like, 30 years already - he's very adamant to stick to the rules as long as it works for a video game. That means there still will be some changes, but it's more out of necessity than out of creative will.

I guess this will be interesting comparison to BG3 on implementation of (almost) same ruleset.

https://forums.solasta-game.com/replies/16

Hey there Sharkspine, glad to know that you're on board! Verticality and exploration are indeed very much important focus points when we design dungeons, but I can't reveal much more for the moment.

Worry not however, it's not as if we were hiding dust under the carpet. We'll be showing gameplay videos soon enough, and we'll even have a Demo available at some point :)

And from Disco party:

Will every object and environment piece be "interact-able". Could the sorceress actually burn flammable objects in a tavern?

I don't believe so, we don't have the manpower to make it this way. I believe Baldur's Gate 3 will try to do that, but I don't want to get your hopes up on this aspect

(I wonder if he heard something about BG3, but I guess it's not hard to guess Larian will try to do that.)

I'll check with the team but I believe the design decision early on was set on a squad of 4, not sure if it will easily be modable in the future if we manage to add official modding

Aye everything is balanced around 4 characters, all our encounters so far are hand crafted

Is there less than 4? Like can à party be 2-3 players?
Hmmmmm I don't think so, that might cause issues to the dialog system
but then again I have to check with the team

Cross

Arcane
The dungeons in Solasta are more than flat game-boards. Climb, jump, or fly around obstacles. Evade or surprise foes from above or below. Push them into chasms or drop things on their heads. Position yourself on high grounds to start the fight with an advantage.
If this game doesn't let me place a Grease spell near a ledge and watch as enemies slip and slide to their deaths I'm going to be massively disappointed.

Dorateen

Arcane
On the subject of verticality, one example in computer role-playing games that comes to mind is the 3DO Might and Magic installments, which had the Fly spell. The party could ascend vertically in order to navigate elevated, hard to reach locations, and of course use missile weapons and spells to bombard the enemy on the ground. A more apt analogy for a dungeon crawler might be Demise:Ascension, featuring a monolithic underground game-world and likewise had a powerful magic flight spell. This ability proved crucial in exploration, even traversing between the hierarchy of levels.

The environmental interaction of Solasta is not such a big selling point for me. Regardless, the developers have already described scenarios where the three dimensional terrain is used to escape monsters who cannot access areas where the characters go, or to gain the advantage of elevated position in combat. Within the context of party-based adventuring first, it will be interesting to see how it works in an isometric game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"If this game doesn't let me place a Grease spell near a ledge and watch as enemies slip and slide to their deaths I'm going to be massively disappointed."

I'd laugh if you cast that spell, and then one of your characters fails their dex save and slips and slides over the cliff instead.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I hope the party creation tool will allow us to pick multiple of the same classes. Having to play with the same party every time would get boring.

Mortmal

Arcane
If this game doesn't let me place a Grease spell near a ledge and watch as enemies slip and slide to their deaths I'm going to be massively disappointed.
Post this on their forums, that's a good idea . Here its not likely they will read it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom