Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister is a 5E OGL RPG with a focus on verticality and dynamic environments

Max Edge

I saw many games in my life with decent or even great trailer AND shitty gameplay. This one is the first with awful trailer but nice (looking) gameplay.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Solasta will be to Baldurs Gate 3 what PF:K was to PoE: Deadfire. Calling it now.
I doubt it. Solasta seems to be very small in scope.

I don't think the comment was about a comparison in scope, as certainly Solasta will be more focused and smaller. But rather an analogy to how a new studio making Pathfinder is perceived to have outclassed industry veterans Obsidian's Deadfire. Just so, Crown of the Magister makes the developers of baldurs gate 3 look like chumps, with their aversion to a dedicated implementation of 5E rules and discussion of gameplay.
Scope does matter a lot. If Pathfinder was a short game with 2 acts, no kingdom stuff, half the classes and races and enemies I am 100% sure nobody would be praising it that much.

Dorateen

Arcane
Solasta will be to Baldurs Gate 3 what PF:K was to PoE: Deadfire. Calling it now.

I don't think the comment was about a comparison in scope, as certainly Solasta will be more focused and smaller. But rather an analogy to how a new studio making Pathfinder is perceived to have outclassed industry veterans Obsidian's Deadfire. Just so, Crown of the Magister makes the developers of baldurs gate 3 look like chumps, with their aversion to a dedicated implementation of 5E rules and discussion of gameplay.
Scope does matter a lot. If Pathfinder was a short game with 2 acts, no kingdom stuff, half the classes and races and enemies I am 100% sure nobody would be praising it that much.

Knights of the Chalice had all of three classes to choose from. Pool of Radinace had the basic Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Magic-User selections. Both computer role-playing games are stellar adaptations of Dungeons & Dragons.

Another thing to consider, Pathfinder and Pillars have been criticized for their kingdom building and base management. That is a clear example of overreach and greater scope being detrimental to a game. Solasta won't have that problem.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Knights of the Chalice had all of three classes to choose from. Pool of Radinace had the basic Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Magic-User selections. Both computer role-playing games are stellar adaptations of Dungeons & Dragons.

Another thing to consider, Pathfinder and Pillars have been criticized for their kingdom building and base management. That is a clear example of overreach and greater scope being detrimental to a game. Solasta won't have that problem.
KotC is a nice game in a time where there was a big drought but lets not pretend that game is some masterclass of game design. If it was released today from unknown author it would be played by less people than Grimoire was.

PKM with TB mode makes KotC completely pointless.
Scope does matter.

And with all the shortfalls of PKM's kingdom parts, if you just removed it the game would suffer way more than with it in.

Mortmal

Arcane

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fly and Climb? This is something that i really miss from old school RPG's. Modern RPG's offer much less verticality than old ones. You can climb even in Daggerfall(DOS era game), is something that i really miss and honestly, is something that is not present on pathfinder kingmaker(best modern cRPG)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom