Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister now on Kickstarter, pre-alpha demo available on Steam

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Camera is a hot topic even within the team, so don't worry your feedbacks are being heard.

That's great to hear! If you are going to keep the follow mode, at least try to implement these:

- Rotate with keyboard.
- No auto-tilting.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Game looks promising but 180k is a very ambitious goal for a KS these days, particularly for a completely new studio. Good luck with that.

Mortmal

Arcane
Game looks promising but 180k is a very ambitious goal for a KS these days, particularly for a completely new studio. Good luck with that.
180k ? You can pay one senior developper ,one year and half with that, maybe ...That's not ambitious that just a promotional pre order.

oscar

Arcane
Awesome demo. Graphics are clean and crisp, UI is utterly fantastic (both in transparency and sleekness), what little writing we saw was promising and the 'feeling' of a well-crafted low level D&D dungeon delve was captured perfectly. Your voice actors did a great job too I think being distinct yet not hamming it with their archetypes.

Never kickstarted something in my life but this might be the one.

Codex Year of the Donut
What you can actually do with the money is besides the point of whether it is an ambitious KS goal or not.
Disagree.
Kickstarter is basically just an advertising platform for companies that are larger than two guys in a basement. The amount of funding they get compared to the cost of development is incredibly tiny.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Harrr. The point I am trying to make, in case that isn't clear, is that it is a lot of money to raise that will require a large funding base and some serious momentum, which I doubt will be easy for a new developer in the age of declining Kickstarter numbers.

That has nothing at all to do with whether the amount is actually big or tiny in relation to their development costs. I am just talking about the chances of success here.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Harrr. The point I am trying to make, in case that isn't clear, is that it is a lot of money to raise that will require a large funding base and some serious momentum, which I doubt will be easy for a new developer in the age of declining Kickstarter numbers.

That has nothing at all to do with whether the amount is actually big or tiny in relation to their development costs. I am just talking about the chances of success here.

This is the studio’s third game and they managed to raise 20% of their goal in the first 24 hours. Don’t most Kickstarter projects that make that much that quickly tend to hit their goal?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is the studio’s third game and they managed to raise 20% of their goal in the first 24 hours. Don’t most Kickstarter projects that make that much that quickly tend to hit their goal?

It's their first game. I assume you're referring to Endless Space and Endless Legend, which their CEO worked on when he was at Amplitude.

Codex Year of the Donut

It's their first game. I assume you're referring to Endless Space and Endless Legend, which their CEO worked on when he was at Amplitude.
The UI looks so similar to Endless Space 2 that I'm having trouble believing only their CEO left Amplitude to work on this.
I'm not complaining, Endless Space 2 had a very polished and functional UI.

it sort of feels like the characters jump from ledge to ledge a bit too easily, like mario or something, and they all do it at the same time, it looks weird, like an arcade game. Shouldn't there be some sort of jumping roll? Especially the guys in full armor?

On a side note I can't honestly tell if these animations during dialogues are just poorly done or if they are *deliberately* trying to evoke a similarity with wooden marionettes.
The effect is almost horrifying at first, but after a while it's growing on me. It's a bit of an, uh, acquired taste.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
In the second video at 36:55, the rogue moves, climbs, shoots a spider, drops some items, moves some more, lights a fire and moves again in one round?

That is like 3 rounds worth of action in the D&D I remember. :D

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
The UI looks so similar to Endless Space 2 that I'm having trouble believing only their CEO left Amplitude to work on this. I'm not complaining, Endless Space 2 had a very polished and functional UI.

... The reason's because our CEO is particularly fond of working on the UI. All the UI you see in the Demo has been validated and implemented by him (yes, he codes whenever he gets some spare time).

Codex Year of the Donut
The UI looks so similar to Endless Space 2 that I'm having trouble believing only their CEO left Amplitude to work on this. I'm not complaining, Endless Space 2 had a very polished and functional UI.

... The reason's because our CEO is particularly fond of working on the UI. All the UI you see in the Demo has been validated and implemented by him (yes, he codes whenever he gets some spare time).
Does he sleep?

Andhaira

Arcane
Spells like Featherfall are actually in and useful? Awesome! So the verticlity is not just a gimmick.

Turnbased and full chargen of party? AWESOME!!

It seems they are using something like Wizardry 8's PC personalities...I always thought that was a hugely underestimated and underused mechanic by other developers. Done right, you would never need another RPG where you only
generate 1 PC and recruit the rest.

Rations and stuff? Great. However, D&D has too much cheese for things like food/hunger, disease etc. Conjure Feast or food is a very low level spell in D&D. I do hope they find a way to make it work though.

I really hope the devs embrace D&D 5e's low magic items implied ruleset and have very few/hardly any magic items/weapons. Otherwise they might as well have gone Pathfinder 1e for its plethora of character options. (we haven't had a TB Pathfinder yet)

Will download the demo over the weekend and try it out.

Elex

Arbiter
it sort of feels like the characters jump from ledge to ledge a bit too easily, like mario or something, and they all do it at the same time, it looks weird, like an arcade game. Shouldn't there be some sort of jumping roll? Especially the guys in full armor?
Jumping
Your Strength determines how far you can jump.

Long Jump. When you make a long jump, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength score if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. When you make a standing long jump, you can leap only half that distance. Either way, each foot you clear on the jump costs a foot of movement.

This rule assumes that the height of your jump doesn’t matter, such as a jump across a stream or chasm. At your GM’s option, you must succeed on a DC 10 Strength (Athletics) check to clear a low obstacle (no taller than a quarter of the jump’s distance), such as a hedge or low wall. Otherwise, you hit it.

When you land in difficult terrain, you must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to land on your feet. Otherwise, you land prone.

High Jump. When you make a high jump, you leap into the air a number of feet equal to 3 + your Strength modifier if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. When you make a standing high jump, you can jump only half that distance. Either way, each foot you clear on the jump costs a foot of movement. In some circumstances, your GM might allow you to make a Strength (Athletics) check to jump higher than you normally can.

You can extend your arms half your height above yourself during the jump. Thus, you can reach above you a distance equal to the height of the jump plus 1½ times your height.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom