Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister now on Kickstarter, pre-alpha demo available on Steam

it sort of feels like the characters jump from ledge to ledge a bit too easily, like mario or something, and they all do it at the same time, it looks weird, like an arcade game. Shouldn't there be some sort of jumping roll? Especially the guys in full armor?
Jumping
Your Strength determines how far you can jump.

Long Jump. When you make a long jump, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength score if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. When you make a standing long jump, you can leap only half that distance. Either way, each foot you clear on the jump costs a foot of movement.

This rule assumes that the height of your jump doesn’t matter, such as a jump across a stream or chasm. At your GM’s option, you must succeed on a DC 10 Strength (Athletics) check to clear a low obstacle (no taller than a quarter of the jump’s distance), such as a hedge or low wall. Otherwise, you hit it.

When you land in difficult terrain, you must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to land on your feet. Otherwise, you land prone.

High Jump. When you make a high jump, you leap into the air a number of feet equal to 3 + your Strength modifier if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. When you make a standing high jump, you can jump only half that distance. Either way, each foot you clear on the jump costs a foot of movement. In some circumstances, your GM might allow you to make a Strength (Athletics) check to jump higher than you normally can.

You can extend your arms half your height above yourself during the jump. Thus, you can reach above you a distance equal to the height of the jump plus 1½ times your height.
thanks. So all that is going on in the background when the people all jump over those ledges in the game video? Or are the distances in the game video considered too short to need a dice or skill check (which is how it sort of appears to me, but I am unsure, thus why I am asking)

User0001

Savant
Some opinions on camera and movement, based on playing the demo,

Would be nice to have a choice of placement direction for where you've ordered a group to move to (creating strafing possibility for corners). Maybe you've scouted ahead and detected enemies, it'll then be crucial for your remaining party that will move into this hazardous area to do so in a strategic way. I can also see the need for ordering individual placement during pause; Let's say for example if the enemies are in patrol mode, then jumping between party members in realtime puts you at an unfear disadvantage due to possible jankiness-mistakes (and getting detected too early = reloading several unnecessary times).

Also:
Maybe they should consider giving the player the freedom to move the camera only in the area directly between characters if they have sight of each other. Lining up an ambush is a bit janky as is, and a "give-and-take" of limited free camera movement might be an adequate compromise without losing the exploration experience that they're trying to create.

Quite excited for this game after playing the demo

Last edited:

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Trying the demo, the combat is very good, however the writing and characters are terrible. Why after being offered food would the party attempt to manipulate those characters into giving them the food?

Hamlet

Novice
Yeah, that's the only way I could imagine 'Reactions' being handled. I wonder if there is any reasonable way to handle the abilities that allow die manipulation (Bard's Cutting Words, Diviner's Portent, Lucky Feat, etc.)? But if they're working from 5e OGL, I guess they won't be attempting to tackle those abilities anyway.

Elex

Arbiter
thanks. So all that is going on in the background when the people all jump over those ledges in the game video? Or are the distances in the game video considered too short to need a dice or skill check (which is how it sort of appears to me, but I am unsure, thus why I am asking)
at some point in the demo you can fall and take falling damage (and use slow fall for avoid damage), so the other jumps just look like auto success too easy to fail.

Xzar

Augur
Art is very generic and Islamic. Strange, since ES and EL had mostly good, sometimes amazing (Horatio faction) art. I really cant see anything alluring about this world. And I dont do pure h&s without decent reward system and c&c.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Yeah, that's the only way I could imagine 'Reactions' being handled. I wonder if there is any reasonable way to handle the abilities that allow die manipulation (Bard's Cutting Words, Diviner's Portent, Lucky Feat, etc.)? But if they're working from 5e OGL, I guess they won't be attempting to tackle those abilities anyway.
I think to create opportunities to use those abilities they would need to create situations where they could be used, and maybe additional systems. Eg some kind of negotiation opportunity during out of combat events.

mindfields

Learned
Since I had more fun with the Solasta demo than POE1 & 2 combined...yeah, I backed it.
11 classes all with their own spells, abilities and skill trees, versus 4 preset characters, yeah I think I know which one wins. Trailer makes the game look very cinematic and Dragon Age-y.

Xzar

Augur
I think the art and world building is Tolkien-esque, which would pretty much be the opposite of Islamic.
You think wrong. For Tolkien-esque art look up Larry Elmore. This is something else, influenced more by modern leftist trends.

Sent from my NX551J using Tapatalk

mindfields

Learned
I think the art and world building is Tolkien-esque, which would pretty much be the opposite of Islamic.
You think wrong. For Tolkien-esque art look up Larry Elmore. This is something else, influenced more by modern leftist trends.

Lolwut, Elmore isn't Tolkien-esque, his is like that 70's or 80's D&D high-magic kitsch with the huge muscly dudes fighting dragons, similar to Conan art but not as cringey. Tolkien art is like Alan Lee, very beautiful yet down-to-earth and realistic.

Xzar

Augur

So can we count on your support for the kickstarter campaign?
Of course not. I want more Elmore type of art, not proto-SJW Lee type of art. If thats kitsch, then kitsch is what I want.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since I had more fun with the Solasta demo than POE1 & 2 combined...yeah, I backed it.
11 classes all with their own spells, abilities and skill trees, versus 4 preset characters, yeah I think I know which one wins. Trailer makes the game look very cinematic and Dragon Age-y.

Solasta doesn’t have preset characters, it has full party creation. You just get four premade ones for the demo, which is playable right now (and it’s a hell of a lot more fun than POE). There are a few cutscenes, but it feels nothing like dragon age.

As for the POE comparison, quantity isn’t everything. Who cares if you have 11 classes when they aren’t that distinct and combat is a boring RTWP slog? Knights of the Chalice had only 3 races and 3 classes, but it was a great (albeit partial) implementation of D&D 3.5 and has some of the best combat in any CRPG I’ve ever played. Solasta’s more like that.

mindfields

Learned

Solasta doesn’t have preset characters, it has full party creation. You just get four premade ones for the demo, which is playable right now (and it’s a hell of a lot more fun than POE). There are a few cutscenes, but it feels nothing like dragon age.

As for the POE comparison, quantity isn’t everything. Who cares if you have 11 classes when they aren’t that distinct and combat is a boring RTWP slog? Knights of the Chalice had only 3 races and 3 classes, but it was a great (albeit partial) implementation of D&D 3.5 and has some of the best combat in any CRPG I’ve ever played. Solasta’s more like that.
4 classes is not enough variety for me, and yeah KotC had the same problem. What's fun about PoE is experimenting with all the different class combinations, in this one playthrough will probably be the same as all the others. To me, 4 classes also stinks of either two things to me; low budget and streamlining in order to not confuse the casuals.

This game is made by the Endless Legend devs, which basically says "From the studio that gave you dumbed down 4X strategy, now you get dumbed down RPG".

Last edited:

wtrboy

Novice
"A fully-customizable party of 4 characters, each of them as important as the others." Hmmm, well I guess if one of them is annoying as Xoti, I can always play in ironman mode...

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

4 classes is not enough variety for me, and yeah KotC had the same problem. What's fun about PoE is experimenting with all the different class combinations, in this one playthrough will probably be the same as all the others. To me, 4 classes also stinks of either two things to me; low budget and streamlining in order to not confuse the casuals.

This game is made by the Endless Legend devs, which basically says "From the studio that gave you dumbed down 4X strategy, now you get dumbed down RPG".

There’s no need to speculate because we can all play the free demo right now. The mechanics really aren’t dumbed down at all. It’s an unusually faithful adaptation of the ruleset.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Of course not. I want more Elmore type of art, not proto-SJW Lee type of art. If thats kitsch, then kitsch is what I want.
13349.jpg

For someone who claims to hate SJWs you sure have a pretty gay avatar....

Xzar

Augur

13349.jpg

I am a Roman Polytheist and have nothing against warlike, high vitality, power-hungry gays. Unlike feminine gays and lesbians. I support καλός and oppose eunuchism. Anti-SJW front is diverse you know, there arent just Alabama rednecks there, but anyone who is anti-equality.

mindfields

Learned

13349.jpg

I am a Roman Polytheist and have nothing against warlike, high vitality, power-hungry gays. Unlike feminine gays and lesbians. I support καλός and oppose eunuchism. Anti-SJW front is diverse you know, there arent just Alabama rednecks there, but anyone who is anti-equality.
It's alright you know, no one is gonna judge you, you can come out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom