Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soldat 2 - now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://soldat2.com

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/474220/view/2110440292533532715

Soldat 2 Demo

The singleplayer Soldat 2 demo is now live for you to play in anticipation for the full game release!

de264f73fd249b0fa29d6d92e6a1a437877aeb0c.jpg

The Soldat 2 demo is now live! Enjoy a singleplayer experience with One Man Army and Capture The Bases, before the full game releases as Early Access in the upcoming quarter. If you want to be alerted for future news, such as the game release, please wishlist the game on the Steam store page.

We're working hard on polishing the game for its multiplayer release, so if you have any feedback do not hesitate to post on the official Steam forums or the Discord

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Awesome, Soldat was a lot of fun to play with friends (<3 the Barrett). Looking forward to this!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The first game is now open source under the permissive MIT License: https://steamcommunity.com/games/638490/announcements/detail/2192636057421436703

Soldat 1.8 has been released as open source!
Soldat creator - MM - reminisces how the game started 18 years ago

8ecf69cfcc0b128785e051be825834c7c0e26ab0.jpg

I still remember the game I started making which was the beginning of Soldat. I was in high school 2000/2001 and in my free time I was coding a game called “Strike of the Dragon”. It was a karate platformer. Something like Karateka by Jordan Mechner but based on ragdoll physics.

a38ce5846ceed479df307cdd3d2eaf1c39cb1af9.png

If I’m not mistaken, the first game ever to have ragdolls was Hitman (released in 2000) and the paper written by one of its creators inspired me to do ragdolls in 2D (so I think, Soldat was the first published 2D game ever to have ragdoll physics).

756c853efe2e6fca7ba77bad2636f96b42e4d73e.png

Strike of the Dragon” had platformer tile-based maps and when I conceived Soldat in my mind I knew I wanted to make something like Liero. But bitmap-based maps like Liero were out of the question because of how much memory that would take. Also I wanted the physics to be much smoother. And this is where I remembered Elastomania.

bd671e2ff48b393e994ad0677ab29e39cd23ece1.png

A game where you drove a motorbike on polygon-based maps. So I learned DirectX 8.0a in like a day and a half and quickly rendered polygons. When I saw those little ragdoll soldiers running on polygons I knew I was onto something big. I followed that intuition and it became reality. The rest is history and now it’s maybe time for you. Because you can join Soldat’s future and take part in its making.

971e331e06d2236d8b69dfadb9128218bc5b83e2.png

Anyone interested in expanding, improving and fixing Soldat or simply interested in how it was made can now do so with the open source version. I hope this will spawn many amazing creations, mods and even full-conversions.

The current public version 1.7.1 (the one playable from the homepage and from Steam) is different from the open source version 1.8. The source code for 1.7.1 is available on request for anyone willing to join the official dev team (just email us at support@thd.vg or contact on Discord). 1.8 is available from gitHub here.

There are two reasons for this double source:

1. To prevent easy to build hacks for the current public version until an anti-hack system is incorporated with the open source version 1.8
2. Soldat 1.8 source code changes have key differences and cannot be easily merged

Soldat 1.8 key differences:
  • Source can be compiled with FreePascal (instead of Delphi 7)
  • Fully cross-platform
  • Uses well known libraries (SDL, OpenAL, GameNetworkingSockets, PhysFS)
  • Old GUI has been removed and needs replacing
  • Config files have been replaced with IdTech style Cvar’s
  • Major refactoring

In short version 1.8 allows for much more than 1.7.1.1 and we hope to see some amazing creations (like full conversions) built upon this.

More info on how to start developing the game here.

If you feel you can help checkout the To-Do list here.

And lastly a big thanks for everyone that ever contributed to Soldat, especially for helloer for putting this together and of course all the key contributors (sorted alphabetically):

Peters "daaw" Brede
Gregor. "Shoozza" A. Cieslak
Nick "EnEsCe" Cooper
Mariano "urraka" Cuatrin
Paweł "helloer" Drzazga
Daniel "Skoskav" Forssten
Justin "splitcoffe" Gascoigne
Joe "jrgp" Gillotti
Chris "ChrisGBK" GreenBank
Michael "tmtgr" Himing
Umut "ExHunter" Karakas
Tomasz "Falcon" Kołosowski
Oliver "Mr" Kuckertz
Tony "zakath" Libell
Jacob "Fryer" Lindberg
Michał "MM" Marcinkowski
Maciek "Mighty" Miłowski
Ryan "FliesLikeABrick" Rawdon
Jason "thestoreybook" Storey
Reko "reko_t" Tiira

You can watch the story of how the game started on THD's Youtube channel:

And now I’m going back to work on Soldat 2 cya!
and remember to have fun!
MM

udm

Arcane
Patron
Just tried the demo for Soldat 2. Is it just me or are projectiles a lot slower now? I remember leading being necessary in the first game to score distant kills, but not this much.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I remember playing death matches for hours on end, with scores going into multiple hundreds. What a fun game.

I remember mostly using the sniper rifle and successfully aiming for people off-screen.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Someone said Soldat 2 what? I used to play this back in 2007 I think.

Hell yeah. Good for them to maybe make some money off a solid game. Kudos devs.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Looks like they might have actually fixed projectile speeds! :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom