Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

SOMA (Frictional Games)

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Morgoth, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    In other words a walking simulator.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    I wouldn't say it. Comparing it to Dear Ester, I can't label SOMA, bit to bit, as walksim.
    It's somewhere in the grey area.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Walking carefully simulator.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    It's a walking simulator, deal with it.

Also, LOL at Morgoth predicting anything, ever. SOMA = :d1p:...yet he didn't play it himself until more than 6 months after release.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    It was way better than other walking sims like for example Firewatch, but mostly because it's the only one where the stuff besides the gameplay was actually good. There was still too much braindead gameplay though. Could have been something really amazing if Thomas Gripp wasn't such a minimalistfag.

^ Top  
  6. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Walking & Musing Simulator.

^ Top  
  7. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    Like I said, they took away too much gameplay. In amnesia at least you were punished for getting caught and had to start away from your location. Better yet, if I remember correctly you could die in some places, just as in Penumbra.

In this one as soon as you realize that when the monsters catch you you just lose consciousness for a while it all loses weight. Plus no inventory management, no stock to save, no battery no nothing. You just walk around and enjoy the story.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    Puzzles are ridiculously easy as well. And none of them is well designed or complex in anyway. Most of them consist in "fetch item in A, take it to B and use it in C" kind of stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. sexbad? Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Codex USB, 2014
    I'm pretty sure you die if you get hit more than once or twice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    SOMA with the gameplay of Alien: Isolation (minus crafting bullshit) would have been a god dang masterpiece.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    What about SOMA: Divine Cybermancy?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    That would be nice + System Shock .

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. You can get knocked out once before game over. With the amount of healing spots available, it's a non-issue, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    People forget this is an adventure game. Gameplay is an afterthought, a mere means to an end.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    It's trying to be a horror game too, and boring gameplay is a poor means to either getting players engaged in the story or creating a spooky atmosphere.

Besides that it's built on a foundation of games that had better gameplay. They didn't just undercook it, they intentionally designed-by-subtraction to make it worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Robust gameplay would have just got in the way of it's specific narrative/metaphysical theme it tried to convey. I can respect that. SOMA was a very focused experience and I wouldn't want to have it bogged down/distracted by silly puzzles or overbearing enemy encounters. The mix was just right.

SOMA is near perfect as it is, so stop being anal for anal's sake.

• Disagree x 2
    • :M x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You have to have a significant imagination deficit to believe this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    Yeah, Amnesia DD and specially Penumbra were really in the survival horror genre. And I don't see how actually having gameplay would hurt the story and presentation in Soma.

I don't know what exactly went in the designers heads, Amnesia sold well enough and they should have just kept the formula. I assume there were retards complaining that the game was difficult or something. I know the original Penumbra had that criticism and that is why they kept making each game more popamole.

• meh meh x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    http://pressa2join.com/developer-fo...games-remotely-with-amnesias-frictional-games
    Show Spoiler

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Gambler Augur

Gambler
    Just finished it. The game has the best artistic production I've ever seen. Visual design, visual effects, voiceovers, and especially sounds and music.

I have never played any other title that produced such a strong feeling of observing a real, physical space. That sense of being present somewhere. I guess STALKER was really good at that, but it was operating on macro-level, since it's levels covered much larger space.

I was also really impressed with their dialog design in terms of how natural the interactions felt, even though you were in a weird environment and free to trigger those interactions at any time. And there was some minor amount of non-linearity, which was gracefully handled.

The horror elements were beneficial at some times, but dragged it down at other times. Getting rid of some monsters and adding more constructive interactivity and non-hostile characters would definitely make the game better. The setting was unique, the amount of objects and information was very impressive, so exploring levels often felt way more gratifying than hiding from some walking blob that interfered with the exploration.

I would love to see more interactivity which involved using tools that were all over the place for building or fixing stuff. You sort of did, but not to the extent I would like.

Also, I think the game would improve if they didn't peddle the gloom and doom quite so hard. By now, almost everything you can think of in terms of people dying and complex environments collapsing has become a cliche. On the other hand, SOMA did a magnificent job of drawing scenes of life in the station via records and objects. Environmental storytelling. So having some more survivors, more "alive" environment would capitalize on strengths of SOMA and could lead to very interesting things both in terms of gameplay and storytelling.

But regardless, I want to stress it again: the game has amazing environmental storytelling, especially when it comes to describing characers. In the end I felt really sympathetic towards Pahos-II crew.

Overall - a great SF game. I hope Frictional produce more adventures.

Show Spoiler
    And I'm saying this despite the fact that I consider the idea of copying someone's mind to a computer fundamentally nonsensical.

What SOMA did in regards to monsters was very logical. If they all killed you right away it would make the player too hesitant to try anything unusual in terms of interacting with the environment, which was the whole point of the game. Also, it would force you to replay the same sequence multiple times, thus trivializing it and making it less scary. On other hand, being maimed felt like a tangible consequence of being in a hostile environment, way more so than looking at the loading screen for couple of seconds. Besides,
    Show Spoiler
    have you not considered the fact that you were effectively one of the monsters? Maybe not in essence, but in origin and appearance for sure.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Finishing this for the second time (now on PS4 in a 47" tv) and I'm discovering new things I've not seen before. For example, that the Curie actually traversed the Atlantic for some days after the comet impact and it's crew had the opportunity of seeing the coast of Portugal (and taking pictures of it) before coming back to the bottom of the ocean. I was too scared by that disco-head guy the first time to pay attention to the environment. Now I'm getting at Tau and already dreaded by that power suit monster (Jin Yoshida?). On the PC I had to use a mod that disabled him. I hope it's not so frustrating now.

Man, this game atmosphere is insane. The ocean portions (specially the Abyss one) are of the most immersive I've experienced. On a 47" Tv sitting almost inside it, it's crazy. Someone should adapt it to VR.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Peter Watts impression on the game (his work was one of the sources of inspiration for it, alongside Philip K Dick and Greg Evans):

http://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=6953

Interesting read.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth

We definitely asked for this. Not.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Shit feature for a shit game liked only by shitposters

• Shit Shit x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)