Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

SOMA (Frictional Games)

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Morgoth, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    cant wait to experience dis on muh xbox

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Dawkinsfan69 Arbiter

Dawkinsfan69
    Parrots:
    Inc. xbox gamers playing this in daylight with sound turned off and EDM beats blasting quit after 20 mins because "wtf wher the hell is my gunnn??? Y main character a pussy faggget?!??"

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/frictional-on-designing-somas-new-monster-free-safe-mode/

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • decline decline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    the key to understanding etc

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    I think it's an acknowledgement of just how shitty the encounter design in SOMA has been. I agree with Grip here, making the monsters wandering denizens that only lash out if you bother them is more logical in the game world's context.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Parrots:
    So, will monsters stop chasing the player and go on their lives BUT will react and kill player if approached or something, is that it?

Because if that's the case, this game will just become 1.000.000 times better, and I will have another playthrough at it.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Nano Learned

Nano
    Parrots:

• decline decline x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    I played a good chunk with Safe Mode and it's pretty much what I expected it to be: Less annoying rather than less scary.

The crazy wranglers buzzing around on the seabed actually start asking you stuff like "Hey, you got some to spare?" Like some drug addicts. Others just push timidly away if you get too close. Nice little touch overall.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I do not like horror games overall, but I enjoyed (if you can use this word) Amnesia, so I picked up SOMA based on that (the move to sci-fi setting was also appealing).

Overall, I am rather impressed with the story and mood of the game - it explores some really cool sci-fi themes and ideas. The gameplay, however, could use much improvement - choices are fake, puzzles are simplistic and sneaking around monsters gets pretty annoying after a while - thank the elder gods for Safe Mode (I started playing this shortly before Safe mode was released, but I have restarted since). If it makes the game less scary, I haven't really noticed, but it does help a lot with pacing, since I can always use the bandit approach (steal the item and run) when I lose patience.

I am around 70% done with the game (based on achiemevent progress) Hopefully the ending doesn't suck and ruin the experience.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Parrots:
    The last act and ending are the best parts of the game

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    It's been much discussed already but there are some niggles in the ending regarding characters I think but on the whole I was *extremely* happy with the story and the ending as well actually. It's definitely one of the more intriguing story focused games in a really long time I think, and the world is just really well designed. The ideas it explores isn't anything new but it's one of very few games that stayed with me quite a long time after I finished it. That was rather nice.

Gameplay (what is there) isn't exactly great but I think it did serve the pacing of the game. I hope their future games will be more gameplay heavy but I think what they did for SOMA worked pretty well for... well, that particular game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Finished it. Awesome ending. Well done, Frictional, but please make the gameplay good next time.

Also, Simon is a fucking moron.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    To be fair tho, Simon got brain damage.

^ Top  
  14. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Parrots:
    Don't know man, we gamers like to value gameplay above all else but I think here it's adequate to the whole experience, even more if this safe mode works as intended.

In fact, coming from a string of very good story games (take a look at Senua and Automata if you haven't) I wonder if the prejudice they receive is unfair. I mean, its awful when a game try to be a movie or a book, I agree, but lately these games are minding that and trying to provide experiences unique to the medium, and that's cool.

^ Top  
  15. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Well, I do not believe good gameplay is necessary to make a good game - I have enjoyed many a storyfag game where the gameplay has been... well, 'forgettable' would be an euphemism. But I do believe that good gameplay makes the game better overall, even in a story-driven game.

Obviously, not all types of gameplay can compliment a story-driven game, but that is a longer discussion. I am not asking for much. I mean, interesting puzzles would be nice, and some actual C&C (even with just cosmetic differences).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Penumbra and Amnesia had more actual gameplay and they were both better off for it, with the only exception being dog-slapping in Overture.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Parrots:
    Don't know about that. I remember playing all those games as far as I could but the only thing I remember now is hiding behind boxes in some scary rooms and something about my father disappearance and then dropping them in some puzzle. While Soma I remember each minute of it, specially the impactful events (like letting yourself behind in that suit, or killing the last human being, etc). So the better experience for me was Soma, even with the inferior gameplay. And that's true too for Senua Sacrifice, Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus, Automata, etc. all storyfag and yet more memorable to me than Penumbra/Amnesia/etc. Andy that's coming from a guy who also loves Soulsborne and NBA2K, so no, I don't have a problem with gameplay.

I mean, I think it's a positive having good, engrossing gameplay, but only if it fits the package seamlessly and make it a better experience for it. I used to have a gameplay-first mentality, but this last batch made me reconsider it and go for a experience-first one.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    ^ Top  
  18. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Life of the Party Augur

Life of the Party
    Parrots:
    Probably the best walking simulator I've... walked.

Although, I have no idea why people see mind uploading as something practically inevitable when it's barely anything more than magic. I guess it was popularized in 50s or 60s and now everyone takes it for granted.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    It might seem like magic now but I don't see why it wouldn't eventually be possible. If you consider consciousness to be just a series of electrical impulses and chemical reactions then why would it not be possible to digitize that?

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Life of the Party Augur

Life of the Party
    Parrots:
    Consciousness is you. Since it's you, reproducing the conditions that cause you would not create a 'copy of you' (an oxymoron, by the way) but cause you to occupy two different points of spacetime.

This is not just applicable to man-made copies but even things like Boltzmann Brains. You being at a single place and a single moment even with the universe being likely infinite in both space and future time means there's something more to it than just chemistry.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    What you are saying sounds far more like "magic" than anything explored in the game. There isn't anything particularly special about a human being as a biological organism, in itself. Initially you are just a product of chemistry, then you become what you are through input, an amassment of experiences, and output, changes you affect on the people and things around you. In that sense it's not even really a copy being made, anyway, since from the very moment when the transfer of consciousness occurs the two characters are divergent in their various experiences. That was sort of the whole point of the game, it's not you that escapes.

^ Top  
  23. Life of the Party Augur

Life of the Party
    Parrots:
    What I am saying is that if you are nothing more than a product of electrical impulses and chemical reactions then reproducing those electrical impulses and chemical reactions will give you the same product the original ones give: you. It can be in the form of an uploaded mind, a brain in a vat, a clone, an android, a random self-aware structure popping into existence a googolplex years from now, or just some random chemistry in some random pond on some random planet a googolplex light years from here. If two and two gives four then it always gives four. You can write it here, write it there, it's still four.

By the way, here's something you might find interesting.

^ Top  
  24. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Playing this for the first time. Based on what I've read here I guess Safe Mode is the way to go? A bit surprising that the Codex isn't more adamant about playing on tough guy gotta prove I'm hardcore mode.

• cuck cuck x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Parrots:
    Regular mode has a few frustrating moments, but it generally felt good to me. But i haven't played safe mode to compare.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)