Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

SOMA (Frictional Games)

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Morgoth, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Do you think Firewatch would have benefited from sections where you had to run and hide from a monster (or some kind of lurking entity?)?
    I'm usually not interested in that kind of games (checkpoints + unarmed player + invincible enemy), but there are dozens of them, so some people must be (specially Youtubers)... And some titles are considered very good: Amnesia, Alien Isolation, etc.

Whatever you choose, after Soma, you might want to try this:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Parrots:
    Firewatch had a fantastic moment I'll never forget.: there's an instance in the game, I don't remember the details, where you get the feeling that you're being stalked. There was so much tension in that moment, it's something that I won't forget. It leads up to you being knocked out eventually. But yeah, that was a great moment in an otherwise satisfactory title.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Parrots:
    WTF? Hell no, what the hell? Play it as it was intended.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Wunderbar Learned

Wunderbar
    Parrots:
    it was perfectly fine in normal mode.

^ Top  
  5. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah. I'll need to replay the first couple hours since it can't be switched mid-game, but I'm finding it unsatisfying to be able to laugh off enemies when they catch me. Thanks for the input friends.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ninja Destroyer Arcane

Ninja Destroyer
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I finished the game, when it didn't have safe space mode and overall while sometimes you could die it was normal. If you finished Thief you shouldn't have a problem. Building tension with some tight sections here and there was excellent and without it SOMA won't be so fun. Good luck on your journey.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Sore Loser Educated

Sore Loser
    Parrots:
    From playing amnesia and penumbra I knew that monsters will probably not really be as scary because of simple ai, which you could outrun or exploit easily, but when I started Soma i've tried to "forget" about it, i've tried to take the game seriously, immerse myself into it. And I actually succeeded (at least partially) at that, this really improved my enjoyment of the game, there were some tense moments. Soma's gameplay is very basic, but with that attitude I actually kinda liked it. Also different types of monsters have slightly different behaviour, you won't know what to expect when you'll first meet a new monster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Parrots:
    https://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2018/10/hiring-project-based-3d-artist.html

This is quite revealing. The next project is about one year away from release.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)