Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Sony Online Entertainment acquired by Columbus Nova, becomes Daybreak Game Company

Alchemist

Arcane
Well this is an interesting development: Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Dear Players, Partners and Friends,

Today, we are pleased to announce that we have been acquired by Columbus Nova, an investment management firm well known for its success with its existing portfolio of technology, media and entertainment focused companies. This means that effective immediately SOE will operate as an independent game development studio where we will continue to focus on creating exceptional online games for players around the world, and now as a multi-platform gaming company. Yes, that means PlayStation and Xbox, mobile and more!

As part of this transition, SOE will now become Daybreak Game Company. This name embodies who we are as an organization, and is a nod to the passion and dedication of our employees and players. It is also representative of our vision to approach each new day as an opportunity to move gaming forward.

So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation. In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in.

Our games and players are the heart and soul of our organization, and we are committed to maintaining our portfolio of online games and pushing the limits of where we can take online gaming together.

Thank you for your continued support. See you in game!

The Team at Daybreak

Not sure what to think of it - is this good or bad? Maybe being out from under Sony's rule will be good in the long run.

DramaticPopcorn

Sony is optimizing its businesses, we are likely to see more ineffective assets being sold in the coming months.

Very surprised with SoE being one of the sells, though. I thought they had a lot of cashflow with microtransations.

The investment fund ownership seems shady. They will likely get sold quite soon or have a drastic change to their business model in the coming months. Either way, not a good place to work in.

Alchemist

Arcane
Yeah it seems like things could shake up quite a bit. They say it will be "business as usual" - haha riiiiight.

The mention of multi-platform is unsettling - bringing to mind a focus on consoles and mobile games.

Archibald

Arcane
I always thought that SOE was profitable part of Sony, but then, who really wants to buy shit parts of the company asides of specific situations where they can optimize that stuff?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Holy crap. There goes one of permanent MMO fixtures, even if it is just changing their name and getting a new master. it would seem Smedley persists, sadly.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Artist formerly known as SOE will be completely out of business within a couple of years. That H1Z1 thing was another in along line of hilarious flops.

Perkel

Arcane
Artist formerly known as SOE will be completely out of business within a couple of years. That H1Z1 thing was another in along line of hilarious flops.

It is highly suggested that Sony didn't plan to sell SOE but they were offered good money for it.
I guess we can expect in year or two everquest mobile abomination.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) has been acquired by Columbus Nova, forcing a namechange to Daybreak Game Company.

Dear Players, Partners and Friends,

Today, we are pleased to announce that we have been acquired by Columbus Nova, an investment management firm well known for its success with its existing portfolio of technology, media and entertainment focused companies. This means that effective immediately SOE will operate as an independent game development studio where we will continue to focus on creating exceptional online games for players around the world, and now as a multi-platform gaming company. Yes, that means PlayStation and Xbox, mobile and more!

As part of this transition, SOE will now become Daybreak Game Company. This name embodies who we are as an organization, and is a nod to the passion and dedication of our employees and players. It is also representative of our vision to approach each new day as an opportunity to move gaming forward.

So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation. In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in.

Our games and players are the heart and soul of our organization, and we are committed to maintaining our portfolio of online games and pushing the limits of where we can take online gaming together.

Thank you for your continued support. See you in game!

The Team at Daybreak

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ainment-becomes-daybreak-game-company.213868/

Drakron

Arcane
Look raw, dont take stealing news from other sites away from Infinitron because thats about all he does and then he gets depressed and start drinking and next thing is I get a call and have to ... dispose of something OK?

Last edited:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Look raw, dont take stealing news from other sites from Infinitron because thats about all he does and then he gets depressed and start drinking and next thing is I get a call and have to ... dispose of something OK?

I am sorry you have the laborous task of changing his diapers, but stealing news is my kinda thing.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Huh? Your OP is nearly identical to mine.
vb27ALf.gif

Alchemist

Arcane
Not sure what you mean but ok - carry on. Sorry if I stepped on someone's toes posting news!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sony got rid of some ballast. They also want to fire 1000 employees from the mobile division. Hard times.

Xenich

Cipher
Not a surprise. After seeing what they were doing with EQ Next and Landmark and what they have done to all their current games over the years... well... I say good riddance.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
More shitty 'F2P' mmos.

They were all F2P before SoE got rid of them.

I doubt much will change since they are already microtransaction and DLC shop games. Business as usual I guess.

Smart move on SoE's part though. Not having to provide customer service on aging mmo's and getting paid for it must be a boon.

Out of curiosity, do they still own the rights to Champions of Norrath?

In any case, I suppose this means the new Champions of Norrath game on the Vita I've been pining for is now not going to happen even harder.

Xenich

Cipher
My guess is that there is still a chance that some projects will get finished, but... It is likely everything will be designed via a massive marketing gimmick way designed to maximize profit in the shortest time possible. I think this company is going to whore out the last products of Sony until they are flimsy piles of meat (not like it will take much after what Sony has done to them). So, I would consider anything you were hoping for to be pretty much dead anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom