Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Sony Online Entertainment acquired by Columbus Nova, becomes Daybreak Game Company

Norfleet

Until? They already ARE flimsy piles of meat. This is SOE we're talking about here.

Unplanned sale, unexpectedly high offer...Sony has its troubles but it isn't nearly broke enough to be pressured into a fire sale.

And whatever criticisms one can make about Sony, I'd back their competency at calculating the maximum amount to which they can milk their long held MMO properties over anyone else in the business.

My bet is that the buyer has some snappy exec who compared the rate at which Sony milks its MMOs to similar sized facebook and iPhone games and decided he's a genius for thinking 'man, we could run this like Zynga and make WAY more money than those sentimental fools.'

And that the Sony execs are pissing themselves laughing, and stocking up on popcorn and beer for when this starts to blow up in the buyer's face.

Data4

Arcane
Yeah, I'm sure no one saw this coming.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/427435/page/1

Posts on social media for both David Georgeson and Linda Carlson indicate that each major player in the SOE (now Daybreak Games) group have been let go from their work at the studio. Dave was the franchise lead behind all EverQuest titles, while Linda was the head of all community at SOE/Daybreak.

Steve Danuser, the Lore Master himself, has also been let go

Xenich

Cipher
Yeah, I'm sure no one saw this coming.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/427435/page/1

Posts on social media for both David Georgeson and Linda Carlson indicate that each major player in the SOE (now Daybreak Games) group have been let go from their work at the studio. Dave was the franchise lead behind all EverQuest titles, while Linda was the head of all community at SOE/Daybreak.

Steve Danuser, the Lore Master himself, has also been let go

I mean, sure... losing your job is not a good thing, but I don't see why anyone would be surprised. They have been running those games into the ground for years, did they expect this new company to just continue the trend? I mean, if Daybreak wants to make serious games, well... they won't be need them and if they want to just bleed the games dry with gimmicks, well... they don't really need them either. In the end, there was no real reason to have them anymore.

Data4

Arcane
What surprised me most was the canning of Georgeson. Like him or not, like the games or not, it's hard to deny he's a good PR person. Always got a big goofy smile on his face, and would enthusiastically sell you a pile of dog shit if that was his job.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
e31.jpg

Xenich

Cipher
Here is the real scoop guys. You see, what they really are after is bringing back Vanguard
EQnext is one step away from cancellation.
“[EverQuest Next] has the largest development team at SOE. It is going to be more than OK,” Daybreak PresidentJohn Smedley tweeted yesterday.
13238.jpg

Smedley is a fucking idiot (and a out and out liar), always had been. /shrug

One need only go back and look at the numerous statements he has made about past projects to see how anything he says has to be taken as nothing more than bullshit to try and minimize any current issues.

Last edited:

Aenra

:necro:

End of an era?

"H1Z1 and Everquest publisher Daybreak Game Company is getting a new boss. John Smedley is stepping down as president and chief executive officer of Daybreak (the company that was once Sony Online Entertainment), the publisher confirmed to GamesBeat. Current chief operating officer Russell Shanks will step in as the new president of the company."

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/22/d...medley-steps-down-as-chief-executive-officer/

I want to say finally and at long last, but i somehow still fear this is an elaborate trolling jest, just too good to be true. Not that it really changes anything at this point. And definitely not before Smed (once again) proved beyond doubt how being a cunt is all it takes. Managed to outlive them all, didn't he. Still, IF this really has happened, good news. For that short interim anyway. Can easily anticipate his being appointed lead/head/whatever they call it in their xbone division. Finally and conclusively signaling said end of an era. To be continued..

edit: just found another article, apparently this all occured 10 days earlier?..only just found out myself :s

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The last time I saw John Smedley was while watching an H1Z1 stream last year. He thought that would be a good occasion to comment in favor of the black riots in Ferguson, then used the deceptive "Hands up, don't shoot" slogan and looked around for approval. Good riddance to him.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
https://gematsu.com/2019/07/sony-interactive-entertainment-considering-game-company-acquisitions

Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan told the Nihon Keizai Shimbun in a new interview that the company is considering the merger and acquisition of game development companies.

According to Ryan, with companies such as Google entering the games industry, “content is becoming more important than ever before.”

“Companies new to the games industry looking at the market with hope is something we definitely welcome,” Ryan said. He emphasized, “Sony Interactive Entertainment has 25 years of experience in the games industry and has big assets.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom