Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soul Calibur VI

You can play as the default characters. Creating one is only required for the story mode.

You can't block your opponent from using one, though. Maybe a patch could change some aspects since people are being a litte too...creative.

Outright blocking them would mean less people to fight against so that's probably not a good idea.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SoulCalibur/comments/9qoya7/avoidingthepuddle_soul_calibur_vi_custom/

What I meant was that it would have been cool if there was a 'competitive' online mode where you could turn all the custom bullshit off.

Create-a-character is fine and all but I think it should be restricted to offline modes and at most some sort of non-competitive online. But that's just me - which is why I've opted not to give them my money. I'm sure it will still sell millions.

edit: I've just watched Aris' video, thanks for posting. He's one of the oldest-school SC players and knows where it's at. He likes the game, but his frustration about all the shitty externalities that come with custom characters (different hitboxes, items obscuring moves making it much harder to block/evade them correctly, etc.) is exactly what I'm talking about. Garish aesthetics are not the main problem - although I'd prefer not to fight against giant dick Voldo, as long as hitboxes and every other property is fine, then I'm fine, idiots who make these characters to get 10 viewers on their stream will go away in a week anyway.

Competitive online has never been a priority (this would be the first issue that would pop up if it were) and I'm sure offline tourneys will ban custom characters entirely. So Bamco can go suck a dick.

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So far, almost everyone I've played online who has been using the defaults or recolors of normal SC characters has been decent or good at the game and everyone who has been playing some meme/joke/waifu/edgy/cringy custom character has been varying degrees of awful :philosoraptor:

A horse of course

So far, almost everyone I've played online who has been using the defaults or recolors of normal SC characters has been decent or good at the game and everyone who has been playing some meme/joke/waifu/edgy/cringy custom character has been varying degrees of awful :philosoraptor:

Veteran players invested in the versus/online matches are always going to pick the most familiar character and jump in rather than messing around with customization stuff.

A horse of course

Why would anyone share their pure waifus with the general public in the first place? Disgusting savages.

Anyway I've been looking to see if there is any indication of who the season pass characters are but it's mostly speculation based on stuff already in the game (Edge Master, Cassandra, Aeon etc.), though supposedly someone found a reference to Nier: Automata?

Reinhardt

Arcane
Story mode is pretty fun so far. Running around and killing random npcs under some retarded conditions. I need to level my character. Have lvl 35 and 40 decent weapons but need to grind 5 more levels to equip first one until then i'm stuck with level 16 rapier.

A horse of course

Story mode is pretty fun so far. Running around and killing random npcs under some retarded conditions. I need to level my character. Have lvl 35 and 40 decent weapons but need to grind 5 more levels to equip first one until then i'm stuck with level 16 rapier.

I think the highest level of purchasable weapons is level 25 in Fenendorf. I usually picked up the best weapons from random encounters with level 44+ bandits running around Europe and North Africa (highest weapon I had at the end of Chapter 4 was lvl 59) but there are apparently sidequests giving rewards all the way up to level 99 in Chapter 5.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1543677812

3845507BCA5E513C7F7EE4D265A354B48A7ACD9E

though supposedly someone found a reference to Nier: Automata?

Looks like a trololo. What looked like the BGM name (End of YoRHa) was the player's name.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/theres-a-nier-automata-track-in-soul-calibur-vi-update-nope.76033/

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Create a soul was a massive mistake, i have been saying it since it first came out in III. I just hope we manage to get Setsuka, Cassandra and Lizardman before Namco kills DLC plans.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
they need to implement filters, ranked-without-customs, OR make a sensible char editor.

y'know, a char editor that doesn't allow picking the best moves + best body types + best reach + best speed and then lets you go play ranked.

they should weight moves/bodies/speeds/etc with point values of some sort, make it like a kind of D&D-style point buy system where if you pick limbs with more reach it has a trade-off.

...AND additionally, after implementing that, also allow filtering out customs in ranked. Either way this game will die soon because of all this shit since Namco won't change anything.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...me-aris-has-big-issue-sc6s-online-experience/

'Custom characters make Soul Calibur 6's ranked the [worst] of all time' - Aris has a big issue with SC6's online experience
'Aesthetics are really a secondary issue here, custom character-specific hitboxes are the real problem.'
JohnGuerrero.jpg

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • October 24, 2018 at 6:50 a.m. PDT

23-custom-characters-make-soul-calibur-6s-ranked-worst-all-time-ari.jpg

Aris Bakhtanians has been one of the most notable American 3D fighting game players for the better part of the last two decades, and so it's no wonder we find him exploring the ins and outs of the all new Soul Calibur 6.

Seeing as it allows for quite expansive personal expression, SC6's custom character mode has quickly become one of the game's most celebrated features. Indeed players have been excitedly producing their own versions of Goku, Thanos, Ronald McDonald and others, but Aris has a bit of a bone to pick with this mode, in particular.

Custom characters can be fitted to differently shaped and sized avatars while featuring the move sets of the standard cast. For example, you can create a massive fighter with Taki's quick and agile movements.

During a recent stream session the Avoiding the Puddle host explained that being able to take such creations online is "not only a waste of time, it's actually a detriment." The reason is because character size and shape influences their reach and ability in no small way in this game.

Players that are trying to used Ranked Mode to prepare for tournament play will be faced with situations where standard combos or approaches do not work on their opponents' custom versions of characters.

You'll hear the entire rant in the video below. Please let us know if you agree or not, and think that custom creations should be limited to casual online bouts.

You can check out Aris' live streams over at Avoiding the Puddle's Twitch page. Please note that the following video includes NSFW language and marijuana references, so if those things aren't for you, it may be better to skip.

There you go, Aris Has Spoken. His word is law.

A horse of course

I took a break from waifus and CoS to do the bonus/epilogue chapter in Libra of Soul fully prepared to wreck my controller, but the boss turned out to be relatively easy with a damage bonus consumable. I guess I was partly just lucky in blocking every one of his critical edge attacks and the coincidental fact that most of my horizontal combos were a couple of frames faster than his after a block, though he definitely wasn't using the Soul Charge combos to their max or punishing my whiffed attacks as much as I expected. The difficulty in LoS really is just bizarre - even now at level 77 there are Astral Fissure minibosses 30 levels below me that I can't win a single round against.

Last edited by a moderator:

A horse of course

I love her but her CaS customization options (dress etc.) are pretty lame for Soul Calibur. They belong in Tekken/DoA or a more sci-fi setting.

A horse of course

Pn6pYF7.jpg

Imagine having your head pulverized by those delicious brown thighs

XolVUb5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom