Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soul of War Inspired by Dungeons & Dragons

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
I'm sorry, Codex. I didn't mean to break him. Just ruffle his feathers a little. Honest to God, I swear on me mum.
Your ok man....you didnt break me, i love everyone the same!

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
I just wanted to let everyone know who purchased Soul of War, the new mini map was added in this morning. and the quest journal. let me know what you think? Thank you!

Brathinox

Barely Literate
I grabbed this game a few days ago. First, the dev is super helpful and is extremely responsive, especially on Facebook.

I really have enjoyed the early part of this game. I am trying my hand at wizard, which is new to me, and I know I need to let it build up a bit so the other adventurers I find are helpful. What's very neat to me is when you gain party members, you roll them up as well through the original character creation process. So, they're not canned people. You want a warrior? Fine. You want a paladin that you ran across? Roll that up. Very cool.

This reminded me a lot of Baldur's Gate a bit and those type of games. It is definitely challenging. There are some hints to move you along but you're pretty free to run where you want. There are warnings if you're heading in to much higher areas. Overall, its been well worth the time played. Its the first game in a looooong time where I start playing and lose track of time. I think I've played a short time and look at the clock and its been hours. Amazing.

Unfortunately, I'm ridiculously addicted to rolling up characters as half the fun so I may start over a few times and make a few more to try out. I am just waiting until my wizard gets fireball to do that.

It's well worth your time and money.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Nice to see you're still updating, keep up the good work.

I can see two things that bother me a bit :
- Having to bring a menu for a single attack, is it not possible to just click/right click the enemy once you're in weapon range ?
- The feat box, i can see some empty spaces on the bottom screen UI when traveling, is it not possible to put anything combat related there ? Not just spells but feat/skills as well ?

Nitpicking bonus :
- The text before character creation not being displayed all at once but rather type-writer like. Of course, if it only happens during the intro, it's no big deal.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer

- Having to bring a menu for a single attack, is it not possible to just click/right click the enemy once you're in weapon range ?
- The feat box, i can see some empty spaces on the bottom screen UI when traveling, is it not possible to put anything combat related there ? Not just spells but feat/skills as well ?

Nitpicking bonus :
- The text before character creation not being displayed all at once but rather type-writer like. Of course, if it only happens during the intro, it's no big deal.
Man....you dont need to bring up a menue for a single attack...when you bring up the menu for a single attack just hit a number key, that will create you a quick button, you can do the same thing with any spell or feat! yes you have to hit number keys to set a bind.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
I've decided to not run the game for sale any more, i gave the game out for free to a lot of people and they abused it. they gave keys and the link to 100's of people. now i got to make up for the loss. I never thought about bandwidth now i was faced with a choice take the game down or stop the sale!

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer

Nitpicking bonus :
Forgot to say you need to hover your mouse over the action like attack just hove the mouse over it and hit the 4 key a quick launch will be created on the bar

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
I only come here to let people know whats going on with the game they love.....not many people see a true rpg now a days.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm sorry, Codex. I didn't mean to break him. Just ruffle his feathers a little. Honest to God, I swear on me mum.
If you are going to come here drunk at least make sure you got some juicy bits to share like how Chris Avellone did.
I never come here drunk man! You have to be one of the people they warned me about?
I was trying to be helpful (https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-dungeons-dragons.132310/page-10#post-6619197) but now I see you are crazy or something. Go find help or troll some other place, like RPGWatch.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
If you are going to come here drunk at least make sure you got some juicy bits to share like how Chris Avellone did.
I never come here drunk man! You have to be one of the people they warned me about?
I was trying to be helpful (https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-dungeons-dragons.132310/page-10#post-6619197) but now I see you are crazy or something. Go find help or troll some other place, like RPGWatch.
You asked if I was drunk I wondering what you meant by it..everyone can see you were not trying to help me out, and i am sorry i do not troll. i love everyone that helps me out in making this genre as what it should be. I may seem drunk to people but im not, i just get over whelmed with what i am doing specially with lots of comments, im only trying to make everyone happy.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Ok I have downloaded the game from the free download link. I figured since I wasted 300h testing Phoenix Point since "release" that I paid money for I might as well test this game a bit since it is given for free.
And I can already see there will be a lot of stuff to report here.
1. Intro text needs formatting. The one about 3 brothers. Sentences just get sent into next row randomly and stuff. Also there are walls of text with no formatting that are hard to read. Also it talks about 3 brothers but then at character creation you can be female. LGBT+ friendly game? :D Or I misunderstood the connection between that story and your starting character.
2. Exit on first map is covered by the bottom right screen. You need to move Exits in all maps from bottom right above the edge of maps so that players can click on it without problems. I would also suggest you put some icon on locations where there are exits, not only that once we mouse over it name appears
3. You start with dagger but it does 1-2 damage instead of 1-4 ? Why?
4. Can you please put End Turn into quickslot bar as well in addition to move and attack (ok I guess space bar does end turn but that is not told ingame)? How do we manipulate quickslot bar anyways?
5. When we press ESC it is common in games that Save and Load are options there.
6. Adding things like Charge and Ready action to attack would be very useful for Fighter types. OK I have found where these are hidden, well at least Charge.
7. Being able to enter combat from further away would also benefit ranged classes. Also ranged weapons seem to have terrible range, I tried to use the crossbow and it had like 10 square range.
8. Not sure how magic works. I summoned a lvl 1 nature ally (playing a druid) and it lasted for multiple combats. On the other hand other druid spells say they last only 1 turn. Is turn here 10 rounds or is turn= round?
EDIT:
9. Why I cannot turn on Casting Defensively during combat, only outside of combat?!
10. About #2, this shit is very irritating. I just entered a map where exit was on the bottom and I barely managed to exit it afterwards. If I quit playing early this will be my #1 reason.
11. Selection light up for icons is bad. It is often hard to know if you selected something or not. For example when you are choosing class you have brown icons and you get a light red marking when you select something.
EDIT2:
12. I cast entangle on enemies and my warrior walked into it and also got entangled (after you cast it there are no markers on ground to know what area is affected). While all enemies on their turn could attempt to break free, my warrior just kept being stuck each turn and not being able to do anything..
13. Asleep characters can do 5 foot steps :D
14. Enemies cast spells or try to use potions and game pauses and wait for me to press end turn. Also in one situation enemy used potion on my giant rat instead of himself lol ... OK it seems this is how AoO is implemented in this game. I would suggest you add some way for people to understand this.
Man....Did you play the game? entangle shows on map....i can create a video if you like? and if you read the instructions before you dove right in you would see clearly you can set a hotbar key for whatever you, like end turn! just hover your mouse over end turn and hit a number it will show up on the hotbar. man if your a sleep you cant move not even 5step. please quit giving out false info!

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
I feel like for whatever reason you are trying to put down a game you never played, this link you left on here with like 50k complaints is false. the crap that is on that list are all fake!

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Okay, played a little bit.

Some options before you start a new game.
eNN65Fa.png

The writing is sometimes charming, sometimes clunky. This is one of the more charming passages. (The gist of the prologue is that three brothers travel to an island to slay a medusa, but fail. The youngest brother flees and that's where the story picks up, but I'm not exactly sure how it's related.)
3jrhM8B.png

One of the more impressive D&D feat screens I've seen in a game. Makes it really easy to see dependencies.
nGJ9UUY.png

There are some alterations to the 3.5 ruleset. For example, weapon focus seems to just give a flat +1 attack to all weapons, or at least I was not prompted to pick a weapon.
nS8DeOI.png

Just a paladin slaying ratman bandit. Things to note: character model does not reflect armor. I am currently wearing leather armor and wielding a short sword with no shield (despite there being heavy armor and a shield on the model).
DjCxVp9.png

fishdoggames If you can, get an editor to go through your script—it could use some pruning and rewording to sound more natural in English.

Other small things I thought after playing for just a bit:
-The black bars that pop up on bottom and top of screen when looting are intrusive. Better to just show loot in event log.
-Feat screen shows feats for specific classes even if you don't have those classes. Could hide them for better usability.
-Right clicking for context menu to do everything is a bit awkward, might be nice to have it default to "move" when your turn starts, or click on enemy for attack, but still allow right-click for context menu. This is just a nitpick though. Context menu does work.
Have you ever played TOEE? do you not right click on everything to do an action? Lots of people think they want the stuff mmo's have i did not design this game to be mmo friendly, i designed this game to be a d&d experience. I'm tired of being nice and catering to the people that want to play a game but want everything handed to them on a platter!

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
I started playing Soul of War yesterday. I am already addicted. I am an old 2nd edition DnD player. I have played Diablo 1 & 2 and many games like them since I quit playing DnD. This game matches up with the Diablo games and the others like it. From what I am told and from what an NPC in the game alluded to, there is a way to get your own land later on in the game a build up a village of your own. That makes this far better than the every day hack and slash games. I look forward to getting my own land and building my own village.
I'm sorry I asked you to come here and tell your experience with the game, many people from facebook said they wont come here because everyone is brutal, i have no idea what to say to you man...but i'm sorry

RPK

Scholar

eNN65Fa.png

The writing is sometimes charming, sometimes clunky. This is one of the more charming passages. (The gist of the prologue is that three brothers travel to an island to slay a medusa, but fail. The youngest brother flees and that's where the story picks up, but I'm not exactly sure how it's related.)
3jrhM8B.png

One of the more impressive D&D feat screens I've seen in a game. Makes it really easy to see dependencies.
nGJ9UUY.png

There are some alterations to the 3.5 ruleset. For example, weapon focus seems to just give a flat +1 attack to all weapons, or at least I was not prompted to pick a weapon.
nS8DeOI.png

Just a paladin slaying ratman bandit. Things to note: character model does not reflect armor. I am currently wearing leather armor and wielding a short sword with no shield (despite there being heavy armor and a shield on the model).
DjCxVp9.png

fishdoggames If you can, get an editor to go through your script—it could use some pruning and rewording to sound more natural in English.

-The black bars that pop up on bottom and top of screen when looting are intrusive. Better to just show loot in event log.
-Feat screen shows feats for specific classes even if you don't have those classes. Could hide them for better usability.
-Right clicking for context menu to do everything is a bit awkward, might be nice to have it default to "move" when your turn starts, or click on enemy for attack, but still allow right-click for context menu. This is just a nitpick though. Context menu does work.
Have you ever played TOEE? do you not right click on everything to do an action? Lots of people think they want the stuff mmo's have i did not design this game to be mmo friendly, i designed this game to be a d&d experience. I'm tired of being nice and catering to the people that want to play a game but want everything handed to them on a platter!

that was constructive criticism, not scathing at all. The correct response is, thank you for your feedback, I will consider it, but may not implement it. or just no response at all.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer

eNN65Fa.png

3jrhM8B.png

nGJ9UUY.png

nS8DeOI.png

DjCxVp9.png

that was constructive criticism, not scathing at all. The correct response is, thank you for your feedback, I will consider it, but may not implement it. or just no response at all.
thats fine man...i love all the feedback, but stuff you say does not make any sense? i tell everyone to report bugs and thing they do not like about the game. but its wrong to say a game is flawed because they have to right click is it not?

Incendax

Augur
but its wrong to say a game is flawed because they have to right click is it not?
You can't say negative things if you want people to buy your game.
Just say positive things, and never mention the bad stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom