Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soul of War Inspired by Dungeons & Dragons

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Okay, played a little bit.

Some options before you start a new game.
eNN65Fa.png

The writing is sometimes charming, sometimes clunky. This is one of the more charming passages. (The gist of the prologue is that three brothers travel to an island to slay a medusa, but fail. The youngest brother flees and that's where the story picks up, but I'm not exactly sure how it's related.)
3jrhM8B.png

One of the more impressive D&D feat screens I've seen in a game. Makes it really easy to see dependencies.
nGJ9UUY.png

There are some alterations to the 3.5 ruleset. For example, weapon focus seems to just give a flat +1 attack to all weapons, or at least I was not prompted to pick a weapon.
nS8DeOI.png

Just a paladin slaying ratman bandit. Things to note: character model does not reflect armor. I am currently wearing leather armor and wielding a short sword with no shield (despite there being heavy armor and a shield on the model).
DjCxVp9.png

fishdoggames If you can, get an editor to go through your script—it could use some pruning and rewording to sound more natural in English.

Other small things I thought after playing for just a bit:
-The black bars that pop up on bottom and top of screen when looting are intrusive. Better to just show loot in event log.
-Feat screen shows feats for specific classes even if you don't have those classes. Could hide them for better usability.
-Right clicking for context menu to do everything is a bit awkward, might be nice to have it default to "move" when your turn starts, or click on enemy for attack, but still allow right-click for context menu. This is just a nitpick though. Context menu does work.

Thank you very much for trying the game out. I'm currently working on a script to change armor and weapons when they are equipped, its tough but i'll work through it. im currently trying to find someone to help me out with a lot of the things you mentioned, thats pretty much where all the money is going back into the game so I can hire a couple people that are more skilled than me. Im taking notes down about the things you mentioned.

Falksi

Arcane
Played an hour or so and so far really liking it. It's barely got going, but the basics are charming enough to keep me enticed. Combat's a little bit clunky (do I really have to select "move" as opposed to just selecting the character and tile to move them to?), but still fine so far.

Nicely paced, like that you create the additional characters.

Music the highlight so far. Really absorbing. Love it.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Played an hour or so and so far really liking it. It's barely got going, but the basics are charming enough to keep me enticed. Combat's a little bit clunky (do I really have to select "move" as opposed to just selecting the character and tile to move them to?), but still fine so far.

Nicely paced, like that you create the additional characters.

Music the highlight so far. Really absorbing. Love it.
Thank you very much! You know the moving thing bothers me too, i tried and tried to make it work where you could just click on the tile but one bug after another. im sure if i had a more skilled coder i could fix it, its on my list for sure. There are some shortcut keys i put in it like space for end turn, s for character screen and i for inventory, stuff like that.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Is the music original? It is very good.
Most of it is yes..I can't take credit for it, I payed someone to make it. I did have some music with voice in the game but I took it out because I wasnt sure people would like voices in music in a d&d type setting.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Also there is an updated version being uploaded now will be done in about 15 minutes it adds some stuff. and fixes a bug in the chaos cave. would be best to download it.

Boddler

Educated
Bought. So far seems like a gem in the genre. A no-brainer purchase at today's discount. Well done, fishdoggames.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Bought. So far seems like a gem in the genre. A no-brainer purchase at today's discount. Well done, fishdoggames.
Many thanks! I'm doing my best to create a game I myself would love to play. I just finished uploading the new package with new added stuff like 5 minutes ago

Falksi

Arcane
Also there is an updated version being uploaded now will be done in about 15 minutes it adds some stuff. and fixes a bug in the chaos cave. would be best to download it.

Do we have to re-download the full game, or is this just an update?

Will old saves work with the new download?

Falksi

Arcane
Also, when I go into the first cave on the left as you leave the Forest, my movement selection square selects squares several places to the right than where the mouse pointer is.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer

Do we have to re-download the full game, or is this just an update?

Will old saves work with the new download?
Old saves should work. I'll check the cave and see whats going on, this is the first report of it. thank you.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Why do you keep changing the name of your studio?
Well to be honest, a few years ago i was just learning what i was doing and i made a few mistakes and i was blasted for it, then some people started making up stuff that was not true. so i just layed low and worked on this project. 2 years later here i am.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Check out the huge testicles on this guy just casually walking by here and dropping this big dick game like that.

Will be buying, the look of the game and 3.5 rules are already enough to sell me.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Check out the huge testicles on this guy just casually walking by here and dropping this big dick game like that.

Will be buying, the look of the game and 3.5 rules are already enough to sell me.
Thanks! like i said i have made mistakes but i learnt from them, i just want to develop a game that people enjoy playing. i think of a game i would love to play and thats what makes me create this.

Sloul

Savant
Most of it is yes..I can't take credit for it, I payed someone to make it. I did have some music with voice in the game but I took it out because I wasnt sure people would like voices in music in a d&d type setting.
I didn't quite understand your answer ''most of it yes...'', ''I can't take credit for it'', ''I payed someone''.
One of the video you posted here has the same music as in Low Magic Age, I can source it if you want (just in case you weren't aware).

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
I didn't quite understand your answer ''most of it yes...'', ''I can't take credit for it'', ''I payed someone''.
One of the video you posted here has the same music as in Low Magic Age, I can source it if you want (just in case you weren't aware).
I don't compose music i bought it, i purchased multiple audio files from different sources. mabey they bought the same music I had bought. I always make sure the audio i buy is royalty free and no copyright. if there is something that i have that is copyrighted i would like to know so i can fix it. some sources sel me audio but i dont know where they get it.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer

Music starts at 3:34

And here in LMA is starts at 14:03

Hmm i do not hear any music from the second video starting at 14:03 only some guy talking.
and the audio from my game you refer too is called woodland fantasy and i purchased it, by mathew pablo
Not sure if this is a way to advertise low magic age on my post or not hmmm....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom